Sue2

They broke into our shop...

Thursday morning I came in and found a large plate glass window broken out

and the cash drawer empty...except for the 6 rolls of pennies, nickels & dimes.

The two rolls of quarters they took....go figure.

We've been here for 34 years and don't have any security cameras or alarms

installed. Over the years this is the second break-in.

Believe me, there is nothing of value to steal in a print shop.

At least they didn't trash any equipment.

It cost way more to replace the plate glass window than the $$ they took.

So, what to do now...what is your advice?

Put up some fake cameras?

Real motion sensors inside with LOUD alarm?

Is there some wireless hook-up that could work?

This isn't a big place (2500 sq/ft) and it is mostly all open with

7 huge plate glass windows facing the streetside.

Sad times...

Sue2

There is wireless solutions as well as fake cameras.  I don't suggest the fake cameras as they don't do much if they are not noticed.  In this day and age you can get camera systems (they even come wireless) and are really not that hard to install.  You can find cheap camera systems at places like Best Buy, Home Depot and Lowes.  If you go with an alarm.... they can program it to call your phone as well when an alarm is triggered so you can rush there as well as the police.

Camera systems with a dvr are pretty cheap. Cheap amazon and ebay. Around here police response is around 45 minutes so if I went the alarm route I'd want to make sure in contacted too. I can be there in under 10 minutes in an emergency but I don't recommend beating the police there unless you are armed and properly trained. Never had the store hit but they've hit the shop at my house a few times and police did nothing even with an eyewitness.

I bought a camera dvr system on ebay for 350. It records 24/7 and loops over the old sruff every month. Got it because someone use to kick our doors at night and run off. Prob kids.

If you have wifi at your shop, DLink sells a camera for about $50 that is wireless that transmits directly to the wifi and you can access it online from your home computer or your phone. No monthly charge.

• Like 1

If you have wifi at your shop, DLink sells a camera for about $50 that is wireless that transmits directly to the wifi and you can access it online from your home computer or your phone. No monthly charge.

Does it record the video too?

I bought an 8 camera DVR system (with only 4 cameras) off of Woot.com - it came with no HD, but it was super easy to open it up and add one.  It has an ethernet port so I hooked it to my home network and can login remotely and watch what's going on in my house and check on my dogs when I'm away.  I think I paid $150 or so, plus the cost of an HD, but I used an old one I had laying around.

You can find wireless alarm systems on ebay that connect to your phone line and will call a list of phone numbers when set off.  I've considered getting one of those, but the crime rate where I live is so low it barely seems worth it.  I once left on vacation and had pulled the truck around to the front door to load, then moved it to the back yard to finish and didn't close the front door.  Was out of town for 7 days with the front door open the whole time and nothing happened...  Kind of freaky to come home and find the front door wide open, though... until I realized why...

Do you have some "Smile you're on camera" or other decals similar at entry points?  It would be a very low cost addition for you if they're not there already

At night, leave the cash drawer empty and open, visible from the street.

Now days it is not easy to feel safe.  So sorry this happened to you.  I remember when you didn't need to lock your house or car because people had dignity and respect for other's property. 

Man that sucks.  I hate that for you.  I'm thinking a camera pointed right at the door and a BIG tv showing everyone walking in on Candid Camera.

• Like 1

That really sucks, glad all of your equipment is ok.

I have been contemplating investing in a security system with monitoring...  The only downside is the company will call you, and the police, but if you miss the call, and there is no one at the police department to answer, its pretty much useless.

Thats how it is in our small town.  The police department is always empty at night.  I know this from family that works there.  

You can sometimes get a discount on you commercial insurance with a monitored security system.  I doubt it would be enough to offset the $20-50 monthly monitoring fees.

You could always cut some security system decals *cough* ADT *cough* for the scare factor and buy a camera and DVR setup.  I would suggest hiding the recording unit well.  Some criminals are dumb and some are smart and will destroy the evidence.

Brands of The World should have something suitable if you decide to cut a decal.

I'm looking for something to discourage the deadbeats

from considering a break-in.

Doesn't seem to matter if you get them on camera....

once they are gone, you aren't going to get your

money or stuff back....and you're still out the cost of the

broken window/door repairs.

The problem I see with an empty cash drawer is that

if they get pissed off because there is nothing, they

may take it out on the equipment.  

Then you're out even more.

Sue2

I would invest in a monitored security system.  My uncle had his 6 bay automotive and fabrication shop broken into many times over the years.  Thousands of dollars of tools and equipment stolen multiple times.

Since he bought an ADT system no one has broken into the actual building, only the cars stored in the lot...

how many break ins in how much time? I guess it all depends on how much trouble you want to go to. A simple alarm that is activated by the sound of breaking glass is cheap. Normally when they hear the alarm they turn and run. Thieves are lazy. If they weren't, they would be working to make their money.

BY the way I have ordered the camera I linked to so I can watch my mom from the shop. She's getting worse in her dementia and is likely to just walk out the door anytime. They are great for that.

• Like 1

Other than bars on the windows or a mean dog (I have one at home for just that reason) nog much you can do.

Sorry to hear about your loss. crime is a business. Make it hard for them to do business. My alarm system cost me about three hundred dollars a year to monitor. Prices are all over the place. I do not have cameras in the store but the outer perimeter of the building has them. I can check them on my phone. Plenty of options out there. it is worth the investment just not to feel violated 

D

• Like 1

sorry to hear it Sue - a camera is a deterrent for a lot (along with good signage about that camera) - some will still risk it but many will look for a lesser target - used to work in a prison and several wouldn't break in if they thought they had cameras etc.  wont stop them all but many it is a deterrent.

• Like 2

2 breaking ln 34 years? I had more than that in my garage at the house last year. I'd throw up some security signs and a camera and sleep good knowing I did what I could. I've had eyewitnesses and 1 time I got them on my trail cam and yet they walk free so I understand the frustration and the feeling of vulnerability but hopefully it'll be another couple decades before you have any more problems. Only thing that stops them here is getting caught In the act or shot.

I teach a CCW class and one of the questions I ask. Would you shoot someone for stealing your toaster ?