blackpaws

What do I tell this customer?

Okay so this is a follow up to my last thread about what I did wrong. Just a recap - a friend of a friend wanted decals. I made a proof, and instead of placing an order right away they said they were in conversation with 2 other shops. Well today they got backed to me and asked me to change a couple things on the proof and resend it.That's ALL they said. Nothing about whether I had the best prices, for sure going with me, or anything. Just wanted some changes to the proof.

I have decided I'm not doing anything else until I see a dollar from this person. How do I tell them they aren't getting jack shit from me until they place an order and pay in full, but in the nicest way possible? I'm not good with words and it's late. If you all want to share your policies on these types of scenarios and what you would say, that would help tremendously. Thanks!!!! 

Invoice them for the total job, with a request for 50% deposit to proceed.

On the invoice, that policy should be noted at the bottom.

This is called a Pro-Forma Invoice.

• Like 1

Yep, just tell them you need a 50% deposit to move forward. Say that you will provide the requested design modification and send a proof after receiving the deposit. It's common practice. Unless you want to be in the business of designing stuff for the shop down the road to make because they were $1 cheaper than you.

It's also pretty standard to limit design changes without additional design charges. Let's say 3 simple changes free of charge, then it's 1/2 hour minimum charge for more changes.

• Like 1

+1 on what the others have said... as well as taking the correspondence opportunity to

remind them that the proof they currently have belongs to you (if that's the case).

Yes watermark it for sure.. I had a similar case and they took my design and ran with it.. Now i watermark everything with a light color in the background so they cannot get it out

Most watermarks are not too much trouble to remove however, most folks that are skilled at it arent asking others for proofs.

Additionally,on proofs, misspelling the business name, phone number, and any other text info will thward other, less skilled, "clients".

• Like 2

Most watermarks are not too much trouble to remove however, most folks that are skilled at it arent asking others for proofs.

Additionally,on proofs, misspelling the business name, phone number, and any other text info will thward other, less skilled, "clients".

I did this for a potential client who seemed a little shady - he didn't want a picture or printed proof, he wanted an actual shirt to see how it would look "in real life", so I put 000-000-0000 as the phone number and the first thing he said was "Oh... the phone number is wrong" and frowned...  I told him it was for proofing purposes and he lost interest in ordering from me...   Not that I think there was a whole lot of interest, I suspect he was wanting the one "proof" to take home and "show the wife" and I'd never see him or his money again...

• Like 2

I wouldnt bother with the hassel of having someone design me a shirt just so I could get 1 free shirt.

Think i could spend my time better lol.

I did this for a potential client who seemed a little shady - he didn't want a picture or printed proof, he wanted an actual shirt to see how it would look "in real life", so I put 000-000-0000 as the phone number and the first thing he said was "Oh... the phone number is wrong" and frowned...  I told him it was for proofing purposes and he lost interest in ordering from me...   Not that I think there was a whole lot of interest, I suspect he was wanting the one "proof" to take home and "show the wife" and I'd never see him or his money again...

You should have put your phone number on it.

• Like 2

You should have put your phone number on it.

Ha... that's it!  

I usually keep things somewhat close to what they want so they can see

most of the actual lettters and numerals they would be getting.

Still funnier to put your own though.

I had the reverse happen.  I had a customer (some one I know even) come to me with someone else's art work and wanted to "give me the job/sale" so she wanted to give me the other peoples art work/proof to use.  I told her I was uncomfortable with that as I did not do the art work.  I said I would be happy to come up with something on my own to show her and if she liked it we could run with it.. if not, I would prefer she us the other company. She ended up liking my work better and things went smoothly!  I got the sale with MY artwork!

• Like 3

I would charge a design free then after that. I would design it and take a picture with my cellphone while its still on my computer then text it or email it to them. something like this. I only send out designs like this. with no payment. No Need To watermark

post-42519-0-70758400-1398292979_thumb.j

• Like 1