Graniteguy

Hello, new to this forum

Hello, my name is JT.  I recycle marble and granite from counter top makers.  I have an Ioline Super 88 that cuts sandblast mask.  I make home decor, pet memorials, garden stones, scripture plaques and lots of custom work.  Below is a recent example.

JT

post-76590-0-69033100-1384146234_thumb.j

• Like 1

Welcome and nice work. How is the quality of the Ioline and basically are you happy with it? I ask because I had the chance to buy 1 last month but couldn't find anybody who had actually owned 1 to give me some feedback. Maybe next time I'll be better informed.

Hello and Welcome from Florida. Very nice work.

very nice

Nice work on the stone and welcome

Bob

Cool work, Welcome

WELCOME from Montana.....  Nice piece. Is it sandblasted or applied to the surface? If it is blasted how hard is it to blast stone like that ?

Thank you all for your kind words.  The work is sandblasted.  I use silicon carbide grit with a  boron carbide nozzle.

Welcome and nice work. How is the quality of the Ioline and basically are you happy with it? I ask because I had the chance to buy 1 last month but couldn't find anybody who had actually owned 1 to give me some feedback. Maybe next time I'll be better informed.

I'm very happy with the Ioline.  I lucked into this one, which had been rebuilt just before it was retired.  It serves my needs nicely.  Some folks complain about feed problems, but I haven't had any.  I did find that it works best for sandblast resist when it's run at about half speed.  The other thing I like about it is that it's made right here in Washington and the support folks are really nice.  I drive right past the plant every time I go to pick up the granite scrap I use.  If you get a chance and the price is right, I would recommend getting one, especially if you're just starting out.  They're well built and in my limited experience, reliable.  Since they are a legacy machine, it would be a good idea to buy a second one for parts, too.  Good luck and thank you for your kind words about my work.

Hello and welcome JT from West Virginia.

Dan

Nice work. Welcome from Mississippi.

Hello and Welcome from Florida. Very nice work.

Very nice. Welcome!

Nice Work!  Welcome!

Welcome, and great work looks good!

Nice!!!!!! Welcome from Missouri

Thank you all for your warm welcome.  You can see more of my work on my facebook page, "Repurposed Stone".

WELCOME from Montana.....  Nice piece. Is it sandblasted or applied to the surface? If it is blasted how hard is it to blast stone like that ?

Hi, I wanted to say more about this question.  Sandblasting isn't hard, but can be tedious at times.  The piece in the picture is about 12X15 inches and took just under three hours to blast.  I don't have a big compressor, and that's the main reason for that.  The main thing is that most stone has hard and soft spots, so you have to really watch the depth of cut as you proceed.  I've been doing this for only about three years, so I don't know a lot yet.  I've mostly just learned on my own, keeping the techniques that work for me and discarding the ones that don't .  Much of what I've learned about how to cut and finish stone has been learned at the elbow of the kind counter top fabricator where I pick up my rock.  I get about 3 tons a month, just from this one guy.  I take everything, so I get larger pieces too.  If anybody is contemplating this, remember to be a benefit to the one who gives you your scrap.  Clean up after yourself and take everything.  If you aren't planning to get into granite recycling full time but want to try sandblasting a few pieces, most fabricators will give you scrap for free.

• Like 1