Sign in to follow this  
JessXEmoji

Do you make your living from your Vinyl decals or do it for side $?

Just wondering how many here actually made it their job or just for extra spending $.

Is there even enough business out there to make a living from it?

Some people do this for a living.. Me on the other hand i do it for extra money

• Like 2

I make my living at this although some times it feels like just a little extra pocket money.

• Like 1

The Federal Government (and the State of Maryland) both collect their share of the income.

I just sent a check to the State Sales Tax authorities which confirms that I'm making good money at this.

I make my living operating a sign shop and have for 9 years. Decals I do for fun.

I'm slowly becoming a shirt shop myself. Got to follow the money and for me that's where the money is heading.

after retiring and the govenor of our fine state reducing my retirement income quite drastically (thought we had a deal for 27.5 years but he had other ideas) now with a change to my wifes job adding another $500 month in bills (thanks govenor again) this is how I continue to feed the family . . . that and exotic dancing for private parties of blind women

• Like 7

You guys that do it for side money, have you tried going full time or just not interested?

Im trying to find out how far i could go if i wanted to.

You can go as far as you're willing to take it. Only person who can answer those questions is you. It's not always easy or fun out if you have the drive and ability it can make a living for you.

You guys that do it for side money, have you tried going full time or just not interested?

That all depends on you.  People are different, some have motivation,  some you can hand them a business, fully paid, and they will fail, 'cause they don't want to work at it.  It's up to you to make it work, and how far. You know yourself better than anyone. I do have that drive and ambition.   I make a living out of my house, mostly online at major websites,  and I built my business myself, after a career change of 30 years. Factory closed.

• Like 1

I like my full time job. The pay isn't bad, I have good hours and a manager that leaves me alone. I have fun toys to play with, 3D printer, 5 Axis Mills and a Water Jet. I'll stay here as long as they still let me in the door. If the day ever comes that I need to find another job, I would look at doing vinyl full time.

Having a full time job which in the trade I am in pays nicely, I do Vinyl wall Art to pay for my musical toys such as amp's, guitars, digital recorders, mixers, MIDI($$$), BIG pa speakers and such, I dont make alot, I also do some CORE selling as thats where alot of my extra funds come into play..Truthfully I enjoy designing and I love sharing my designs and work with certain people so MONEY isnt all that there is about Vinyl Art and signs such as...I dont tread on the SIGN maker's ground and most around me here dont dabble in Wall art, so we have a mutual understanding and I help them when they ask it and visa versa...

• Like 3

All i do is signs, banners etc. but every penny i have ever made has went to making a living. Sometimes i just live better then other times. My main income is from my handyman service i also do installs of all types of signage from metal 4x8 signs to huge lighted signs including any structure for them to mount to I also install formed lettering of all types including lighted channel lettering plus service on existing lighted signs.

All i do is signs, banners etc. but every penny i have ever made has went to making a living. Sometimes i just live better then other times. My main income is from my handyman service i also do installs of all types of signage from metal 4x8 signs to huge lighted signs including any structure for them to mount to I also install formed lettering of all types including lighted channel lettering plus service on existing lighted signs.

I thought I wanted to got the route you went but I realize now I'm just too lazy and prefer to be in the heated and air conditioned shop. Almost bought a bucket truck last year before I realized that I'd rather leave the big stuff to the other guys. Still do a few installs but not as many as I was.

I thought I wanted to got the route you went but I realize now I'm just too lazy and prefer to be in the heated and air conditioned shop. Almost bought a bucket truck last year before I realized that I'd rather leave the big stuff to the other guys. Still do a few installs but not as many as I was.

Jay I have been working in the weather for 50 years I am always saying I am going to cut down and just try to work in the shop on signs and custom woodwork but i guess i am greedy I just keep taking jobs. The large installs are quite profitable...and the service work does well I really like formed letters i can make $400.00 to $600.00 profit on the sale and install of a decent job in one day.

I'm not old yet but as I get there I realize how much I've went from outdoor work to cushy shop work and how much I like the cushy shop work I decided it's time to refocus my efforts. I can do it a ll so I might as well do the parts I enjoy. But yeah the install money is nice.

I just do it for a little spending $  But I spend all my spending $ on more files & toys of the trade.lol...so I guess I just do it for fun :)

i kinda do the same thing LOL

first post back after a hiatus. 

i originally bought my mh series when my parents bought a deli. they were trying to get a local guy do the front window, and he was.......uhh, lets just say "flaky" at best. lots of problems dealing with him, and he wanted $1800 to put the name in the window. i said, hey, i can get this mh series cutter, and the 2 rolls of vinly for less than 1/3 of that, and no problems dealing with an otside vendor.

so that was it. i was all paid up before the first job was done.

after that, i did it as a supplimental income when i was laid off over the winter a few yrs back. now ive been working straight through, but kind of missing doing the cutting thing, so i just dropped back in here to have a look around.  time to shake the dust off this thing.