Sign in to follow this  
slice&dice

Small signs, big bucks

I produce signs like these daily, and the work brings in plenty of cash.

These three jobs were billed at over $600.

A-Frame for a storefront church (2' x 3' coroplast)

Wedding placard - LOVE -  (3' x 4' pvc)

Yard signs for restaurant (1.5' x 2' coroplast)

By the way, that rose came directly from the Library in SignBlazer.

So did the prayer book (I've simply added the cross) and the fancy separator in the church sign.

I use reverses often, it's a quick way to make things stand out.

post-21408-0-22092600-1374503989_thumb.j

post-21408-0-47053000-1374504007_thumb.j

post-21408-0-24885900-1374504020_thumb.j

• Like 2

Stuff like that is my bread and butter....higher profit margin than the bigger stuff.

• Like 1

very nice work slice. You don't mind me asking how do you normally price for something like that..

Look under "Design Elements" then "Mason Roses"

Found it..thanks!

Nice work!!  And I love the rose - my 2nd favorite flower!  Are you able to share it as an EPS, or is it specific to that program?

Thanks!!!  :D

Nice work!!  And I love the rose - my 2nd favorite flower!  Are you able to share it as an EPS, or is it specific to that program?

Thanks!!!  :D

my wife likes roses I have made several things with roses on them even the stove eye covers . Just made her new ones with coffee cups. That was also my mothers favorite flower.

very nice work slice. You don't mind me asking how do you normally price for something like that..

Thanks for the compliments here, I know it's not really spectacular work, just 'bread and butter' as BannerJohn indicates.

As for pricing, those are coroplast inserts (2) on the A-Frame, and I've billed that job for $210.

The large 3'x4' pvc LOVE (rose) placard went for $120.

I made up 20 red coroplast LUNCH yard signs (double-sided) and invoiced $280.  (Two sheets of 4 x 8 red coroplast that I cut down to 10 blanks each, purchased for $25, and 60-feet of white 24" wide vinyl, plus 20 step-stakes)

Oh, and the owner of the T-bone steak house treated me to dinner for 2.

One thing about being a sign maker --  everyone is my buddy.

I wish I had more buddies  :'(  ha ha, hopefully my customers don't realize that I am a sucker for trades like the free dinner offer. Nice work and thanks for sharing.

sweet work, the smalls make are what feed you - a big job once in a while is just icing on top.

Slice and Dice, how do you advertise? Starting to cut and getting familiar......retired recently and want to make some change and keep busy. I really enjoy cutting decals.

Slice and Dice, how do you advertise? Starting to cut and getting familiar......retired recently and want to make some change and keep busy. I really enjoy cutting decals.

I have a retail location and over 40,000 cars pass by daily, they all see my sign that announces I do signs.

BTW, I don't cut 'decals'

I produce finished signs.

post-21408-0-04007600-1375063885_thumb.j

• Like 1

I have a retail location and over 40,000 cars pass by daily, they all see my sign that announces I do signs.

BTW, I don't cut 'decals'

I produce finished signs.

Maybe I'm reading too much into the quotes around 'decals', but it sounds like you're implying that someone who only cuts decals isn't as good as you are.  I doubt that is exactly what you're trying to say, but that is how I read it... and as someone who's primary business is cutting decals, I have an issue with that...

You do cut decals... you just pre-install them on a substrate before you deliver them to a customer...

Thankfully all of the other sign businesses where I live have that same mentality, so I'm able to pick all the low hanging fruit that they're too good to pick for themselves.  There is plenty of money to be made in small quantity and/or small size decals - there isn't the huge markup like there is signs and banners, but I make more than enough to keep myself going. I have numerous repeat customers who come back and send their friends to me after the "real sign companies" have turned up their noses at their simple 'decal' jobs.

• Like 2

I cut decals when someone asks...but I am primarily a sign guy. I do signs. Not everyone who cuts vinyl is a sign guy.

I think that's pretty much what he is saying. His business is signs. he is a sign guy and proud of it.As I am.

I pick up the fruit off the ground apparently because people people come in here all the time and buy "stickers". Although this is crushing to my ego it pays the bills. That and the 4x10 2 sided max metal sign I just got a deposit for. ;D

• Like 2

Each of us has a spot to fill in our region and we do our best to provide for that need. That is all that really matters.

Maybe I'm reading too much into the quotes around 'decals', but it sounds like you're implying that someone who only cuts decals isn't as good as you are.  I doubt that is exactly what you're trying to say, but that is how I read it... and as someone who's primary business is cutting decals, I have an issue with that...

You do cut decals... you just pre-install them on a substrate before you deliver them to a customer...

Thankfully all of the other sign businesses where I live have that same mentality, so I'm able to pick all the low hanging fruit that they're too good to pick for themselves.  There is plenty of money to be made in small quantity and/or small size decals - there isn't the huge markup like there is signs and banners, but I make more than enough to keep myself going. I have numerous repeat customers who come back and send their friends to me after the "real sign companies" have turned up their noses at their simple 'decal' jobs.

I dont cut decal either persay I do signs and banners and my bread and butter is in lighted signs and plastic lettering and installing for other sign companys. It is not that I think decal cutting is below my expertise it is just that I dont have time for cutting them with my other ventures and I am sure that is what slice was trying to convey.

I dont cut decal either persay I do signs and banners and my bread and butter is in lighted signs and plastic lettering and installing for other sign companys. It is not that I think decal cutting is below my expertise it is just that I dont have time for cutting them with my other ventures and I am sure that is what slice was trying to convey.

I agree, but the way he put quotes around 'decals' made it come across differently...

I don't cut 'decals' unto themselves, that's all I meant by it.

I cut decals, yes, because that is the method of making signs.

No offense intended.

My reply was to boggey090 who asked about my particular business model ---

"Slice and Dice, how do you advertise? Starting to cut and getting familiar......retired recently and want to make some change and keep busy. I really enjoy cutting decals."

And I merely noted that I'm in the sign business, not the 'decal' (sticker) business, so I can't really relate to how he should best proceed to market and sell decals.