slice&dice

Neverending stream of small requests

It's simply outstanding to see the nearly constant flow of clients approaching my shop and requesting sign work, and most of their jobs are small stuff -- banners, bandit signs, window decals, etc.

These two examples are basic 2'x6' items, one on a teal banner and the other using coroplast (with grommets).

Feel free to post your own "small stuff" -- let's see what is happening out there.

post-21408-0-67346100-1340635536.jpg

if your sick of the small work I have a bit over 5000 18 x 24 coro signs to blow thru this week. Come on over and pull some ink

• Like 1

You can send the small stuff my way, that's my preferred bread and butter - that way if I screw it up, I'm only out a couple dollars worth of materials. ;D

You can send the small stuff my way, that's my preferred bread and butter - that way if I screw it up, I'm only out a couple dollars worth of materials. ;D

im with ya on that one

big stuff expect to give discounts and get late payments. small stuff no discounts and immediate payments.

• Like 1

big stuff expect to give discounts and get late payments. small stuff no discounts and immediate payments.

I disagree. I make more on big orders than I do small orders. Every time. Even more so on screened coro signs. With set up and time involved bigger orders profit more. Campaign time is coming, hope to do a few thousand of these a week till elections.

Terms are the same for any order. 50% on signed order rest on completion. No exceptions ever.

I agree that the big bucks are in the big jobs. I live in a small town that already had existing sign businesses when I started up and I chose to focus on the smaller, mainly one-off jobs that are "too small" for the established players to want to mess with.

There isn't as much money to be made, but this is all supplemental income to my "real" job, and like I said earlier, if I screw it up and have to eat the cost of materials, I don't lose any sleep over it.

Also, I can knock out several small jobs in an evening, so although I make less per job than those doing the big work, I make some of it up in volume and generate a lot of good will.

Yes, OWJ, it's a steady flow of these 'one-off' jobs that are allowing me to pull in several thousands of $$ monthly, all from a tiny shop/garage.

Charging fifty dollars here, thirty dollars there, ninety dollars on the next.

It all adds up quickly.

• Like 3

I agree, that's all I do to. Small jobs and decals. I'd like to do some printed/bigger jobs but the equipment is out of my budget for now. If I need something bigger printed, I just farm it out.

I had to stop doing the one off's..It would take me too long to get to them..Sometimes 4-6 weeks to do a $6 or $20 dollar decal set...I am a bulk wholesaler to local manufacturing companies..How I got into the business is one of my existing customers told me if I buy the equipment they would give me their business..They told me the bought $50,000 worth of printed and cut n weed decals a year out of state. They are now up to almost $70,000 a year...I found a deal on new equipment and viola I was in the vinyl business...I now have several contracted customers and do almost more than I can run in a day..I just landed another customer on a 50,000 piece per month contracted for 12 months..It's a $240,000 dollar a year contract...See why I do bulk contracts...

I don't do this as a hobbie or supplimental income..This is my bread and butter... I run 2 different businesses and they have to support themselves and my wifes tastes :lol: in spending or it's not worth the hassells of being in business..

Everyone has to start somewhere, I started with a $250. basic MH cutter last year, maybe one day I'll be able to expand into printing.

I don't do this as a hobby, either.

It is my primary source of income, and I'm grateful for the work, and for me, it's worth being in business at my small shop, doing what I can.

It certainly would be nice to get a quarter-million-dollar contract !!

How many employees do you have, BTW?

post-21408-0-20615700-1341334822.jpg

post-21408-0-17778500-1341334824.jpg

Everyone has to start somewhere, I started with a $250. basic MH cutter last year, maybe one day I'll be able to expand into printing.

I don't do this as a hobby, either.

It is my primary source of income, and I'm grateful for the work, and for me, it's worth being in business at my small shop, doing what I can.

It certainly would be nice to get a quarter-million-dollar contract !!

How many employees do you have, BTW?

I totally agree with starting somewhere..I started this company 1 1/2 years ago with the promise of the one customer and it has grown to this today..I LIKE big orders...I have started specializing in large manufacturing type stuff and have more than I can handle sometimes...But always looking for more and more and I add emplyees as needed...Right now I have 6 employees and growing..I am processing the first big 50,000 piece order as we speak and it will be delivered on Friday one way or the other..on a large contract you always try to meet deadline..

I tell everyone I meet and talk to the same thing..Don't be afraid to ask wat you can do for them...Whats the worst thing they can do say nothing..THEY sure can't take away your birthday...LOL...

Start small and grow...grow and grow some more....Invest in equipment as you can...

I have personally known 2 millionaires in my life. One owned a chain of 17 grocery stores. The other owned a chain of fast food restaurants and 3 motels. They both told me the same thing: Never let money walk out the door. Big jobs are nice, but it's small jobs that pay the rent...for most of us,anyway.

@Slice... I don't know how long you let that vinyl lay flat on the table in the background but after time it will develop flat spots. I know not over night but after a few weeks you will notice it... Just a heads up... Also what are those blue mounts you are using for your app tape holder?? I like the looks of that set up.

@Slice... I don't know how long you let that vinyl lay flat on the table in the background but after time it will develop flat spots. I know not over night but after a few weeks you will notice it... Just a heads up... Also what are those blue mounts you are using for your app tape holder?? I like the looks of that set up.

tape holder looks like this.. That is alot of money for a couple pieces of plastic. And it has to be attached to your table.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item588f350b4e

I use the Mask-rite, It's not attached to anything, can go forever. you get the full use of your table. It's aluminum..for about 10 bucks more than that plastic one. Accepts any size tape up to 24" I don't put my tape under the roller as it is shown in video. I just roll it off the top, and smooth out as I go. I can go 16 ft, 24" W, no problem on an 8ft table by myself. It was well worth the the investment for me. I also have a 30" W same thing.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item4841804b78

Thanks Skeeter. I was hoping maybe someone who had one would have some insight as to what it really was... I have tons of cores here and I know I have to be able to find the end caps like that somewhere for a couple dollars... I have tons of single caps but would like a double one like that.... That is very little material and engineering there for me to drop $80....

Thanks Skeeter. I was hoping maybe someone who had one would have some insight as to what it really was... I have tons of cores here and I know I have to be able to find the end caps like that somewhere for a couple dollars... I have tons of single caps but would like a double one like that.... That is very little material and engineering there for me to drop $80....

I have no idea why Ordway makes them available for $80. -- I bought mine for $25.

http://www.rjsign.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=OWNER

Yes, I had to spend another $10 on clamps to hold it down onto the tabletop.

Anyway, it works for me, I especially like the adjustability factor.

Dr12v, I will indeed take the vinyl off that table in another day or so, I'm making a custom rack for them.

Those are the 30" rolls I got along with my SC cutter when I ordered it last month, and I really didn't have a proper place to store 'em, so I just left them out like that, they added color to the customer greeting area.

Believe me, this 500sq.ft. is cramped, but the rent is right and the location is nice.

It's the perfect starter studio for a newbie.

lets see some of your guys shop some of seem like you would have an impressive shop

there is actually a big post on that some where.here on the forum, where many people posted their shops/working areas

You will probably have to search for it, unless people want to post again...

I am remodeling this week, another printer coming next week, after that I will post some new pics. Also Insulating another 2500 sf for the screening equipment.

I have personally known 2 millionaires in my life. One owned a chain of 17 grocery stores. The other owned a chain of fast food restaurants and 3 motels. They both told me the same thing: Never let money walk out the door. Big jobs are nice, but it's small jobs that pay the rent...for most of us,anyway.

I totally agree John..I fill in the gaps with the smalls..BUt specialize in the big...I went from not being a vinyl business 1 yr 7 months ago to landing a few 50k accounts right off the git go..Thats what I was trying to explain...I rarely let any money walk out the door either..BUt sometimes a 6 or 10 or 20 dollar decal that takes 3 ta 4 weeks or more to get to does not make my reputation or the customer happy with the turn around time frame...I would rather tell my customer no and keep them happy than to take the business and worry bout them disliking me for the time frame to turn it around..As I say often "not enough hours in the day or enough of me to go around to do eveything"

All the big vinyl suppliers didn't get to where they are by doing only big bulk stuff...They had to start small and work up from there...

I thank the Lord all the time for treating me the way he has and as fortunate as I have been in business over the last few years...I went from working for a corporation as only a number to working for myself and make more jingle a week than I did in a year for them..I hate the 100 plus hour a week but someones gotta do it...LOL... Some like to be a small business but me I want to be own several of the businesses that I do now..I have a vision of where I want to be in 5 yrs and it's not ME working the 100's of hours a week I do now..That I can tell you...LOL...

I have a vision of where I want to be in 5 yrs and it's not ME working the 100's of hours a week I do now..That I can tell you...LOL...

Hey Stetty , You didn't have to tell me that !!! I know EXACTLY what your vision is & WHO it involves !!! :lol::bear::angel: