motoxchic

How do you organize your vinyl scraps?

I have all these little rolls rubber banded together..ie, all Red 751, various widths/lengths.  Usable vinyl, but a PIA to go through quickly and store.

Seems silly to keep all of them, but I do find myself using them.  What size scraps are keepers for you?

most any that is usable.  I save the boxes from the transfer tape and vinyl. and cut one panel out of it on the long side.. roll my vinyl and write the size on the outside of it,  stand them in my boxes for ez viewing.  If I have a smaller job, that is the first place I go to, my scraps.

I keep mine laying flat.

Three piles ----   long narrow strips, medium rectangles, small rectangles.

I use bread trays from the grocery store and sort by color, laid flat. on the larger stuff I roll and have a shelf next to the bread trays. Eventually you will have more scrap than you will use and have to thin the heard, so to speak. I usually back it in a flate rate box and offer it to whichever forum member I'm talking with the most at the time because a lot of the people on here do smaller projects where our scraps are bigger than the task at hand.

used to save a lot of them, till they would get messed up by the kids and thrown away as I should have done in the first place - yeh I have another pile going now but it will probably go down the same road

Trash bag storage receptical. My self like Dakota use to save almost all of the scrap pieces but found it just was not worth the hassel no they go into the trash can as i make them.

I have a Tupperware bin I put the bigger pieces in. most the smalls I throw out

I did just throw away a bunch of Greenstar scraps I saved from a year ago when I started with vinyl, lol, since I am mostly using the 651/751 now.  I like the cut transfer tape box idea, that might work.  I find myself wrestling with rolls of 3-6" vinyl often, then they fall over, curl up when you're looking through them.  Its annoying.  On the other hand, I am frugal and hate to waste it!   Ok, some might call it hoarding, lol.

Was just curious what everyone else did :)

• Like 1

My scraps..

Well my 5 year old has a sticker addiction ever since she was little.. like 1 years old she used to steel my tape and play with it and stick it to her self..

so when I started this company she was in LOVE.. 

here are some photo's of her what she does with my mess up vinyl projects and some of my scraps..

don't laugh to much lol

post-16863-0-51587200-1380064552_thumb.j

post-16863-0-74845100-1380064553_thumb.j

post-16863-0-07299300-1380064555_thumb.j

post-16863-0-72743000-1380064561_thumb.j

post-16863-0-73238800-1380064562_thumb.j

• Like 3

Looks like a great imagination at work there!  I bet she has a cool story to go with it too...

Cal

Looks like a great imagination at work there!  I bet she has a cool story to go with it too...

Cal

She has the best imagination ever.. i wish i could keep up with her most days..

She is 5 and just started Kindergarten, So now she is in school 4 hours a day and me being a stay at home dad.. I get alot more time to play with Vinyl lol

I'm glad i don't do this for a job but more for a hobby .. I have alot more fun with it ..

I'm just getting into Dye Sub tho and now she likes to put her pictures all over alot of stuff LOL

I made these today for her.. The top left pic was her first day of school..

post-16863-0-36079600-1380076186_thumb.j

For colors I use almost every day (about 5) , I just roll them up by color and size and keep them in a large cardboard box. Since I keep over 40 colors in stock, for the colors I don't use that often but have scraps of I'll put the scrap inside the roll of vinyl. Helps keep it sorted and well organized. Seems like eventually my scrap box gets out of control though so about once a year I'll go through it, toss a bunch out and start over. 

• Like 1

I roll the longer scraps on empty tubes by size/color. Then i can just load it up like a normal roll. Sometimes i even get lucky and the scrap piece im usin actually falls between 2 feed rollers so i don't hafta unravel the whole piece....sometimes, lol. The smaller pieces get clipped together by color and go in a plastic bin.

It looks worse than it is but I can tell you in less than 30 seconds if I have it or if it has to come off a roll.

photobucket-4000-1380110865873_zps8db23c

WE stock 30+ colors so they can pile up pretty quick if I don't keep an eye on it. At least once a year I purge all the small stuff and anything that I know has been here for a while. I save quite a bit of monye doing it this way not so much for signage but for small decals, memorials, names over car door handles and stuff like that.

I save all my scraps till I have a bag full and then donate them to one of the schools in the area for their art department - Teachers love me!! :-)

I have a lady that buys my scrap for her cricut. But most of the time i will save it for use.

We sell 12x24 for circuit all the time but I never thought about making some bundles up out of my bins and offset it that way as well.

Oh yeah this lady buys any scrap i have. Depending on how much depends on price. 

• Like 1

I love the donate idea, will definitely look into that!  I guess if the cricut people like the smaller stuff I suppose I could bundle it and put it on Ebay or something. :) 

• Like 1

I charge the customer for all vinyl used so scraps go in the circular file (aka garbage can). I used to keep them then it just got overwhelming. 

I charge also for all vinyl used..  So my scraps are extra $ if i can use them :)  or my daughter takes them  :)

• Like 2

I charge the customer for all vinyl used so scraps go in the circular file (aka garbage can). I used to keep them then it just got overwhelming. 

You charge and throw it away? I charge and them charge again for the next fob I do with it. 

• Like 2

Since I mainly just do crafts, I can use very small pieces.  I put each color of small pieces in a clear page protector.  Larger pieces are flat in an under the bed plastic container.  Sure wish I lived near some of you that throw your scraps out!