gcextreme

My homefront..

Did this today....advertising om my front porch...im sure i will get crap from my landlord when i see him at work lol.

20140510_135349_zpsv5b7yvlu.jpg

Why would you put this on your house? 

If your lot is zoned residential expect to get a call from the zoning department early next week. If I was your neighbor Id be pissed. 

Why wouldn't you put all this on your new trailer?  Or your truck? 

If i want to put a sign up on my window advertising my business, i can if i want.

And i am working on my trailer....

This is no different than having my trailer or truck sitting out front advertising too..

I live in a small town of 200 people, i am not too worried about "zoning"...theres a guy next door that has large sign in his yard " Ray's Small Engine" where he does small engine work out of his garage. He always has lawnmowers and atvs parked out there.

Well, he did use HOBO font, and from what he's describing, maybe that town is filled with a few hundred hobos.

• Like 1

That is awesome.. The one thng i see is your window to the right of the door seems to be running upward..  Other than that it all looks good.. Great advertising

Actually theres like 3 other home based businesses within a few blocks of me. A haistylist, a home daycare, and small engine repair...all habe signs and stuff.

That is awesome.. The one thng i see is your window to the right of the door seems to be running upward..  Other than that it all looks good.. Great advertising

Yeah that window glass is actually broken out of the frame...my landlord has to fix it lol.

If i want to put a sign up on my window advertising my business, i can if i want.

And i am working on my trailer....

This is no different than having my trailer or truck sitting out front advertising too..

I live in a small town of 200 people, i am not too worried about "zoning"...theres a guy next door that has large sign in his yard " Ray's Small Engine" where he does small engine work out of his garage. He always has lawnmowers and atvs parked out there.

Theres no quotes around zoning. Its a real thing, and a real division in cities. Your "small town" might not have one. But you dont really seem to know one way or the other. How do you know those other business's didnt apply for a permit to advertise there? Or if what they are doing is even legal? 

Your right you can do it if you want to... but if uncle Sam wants his tax money? Hes going to put a stop to your little window stickers. 

In my opinion that looks terrible and would never want it on my windows to my house. 

To each his own....

You can get away with a lot of stuff in small towns, you couldn't do in larger areas. Unless the mayor's brother-in-law, decides he wants to start a vinyl t-shirt business. Would I want it on my house, probably not, rather have a nice sign.

• Like 2

Yeah that window glass is actually broken out of the frame...my landlord has to fix it lol.

Lol.. Hope it brings some business your way.. 

Some small towns have code enforcement and zoning some dont here where I live they have both but people run business out of their homes and have signage. Our town requires a variance for a residental zoned area. Parts of our city have over lapping zones

That is both commerical and residential. The most that could happen is a warning from the code inforcement/zoning dept.

• Like 2

Well the small town mayor lives 4 blocks away and i know people on the city council...so until i get a warning or whatever it will stay..and i mostly did it for practice on glass. The last glass project i did had some issues.

I live in a small town 15 miles out of Alex in a different county. Alex is the closest big city.

I used to live in a town of about 800 and lots of people had business in there homes and advertised in front or on there homes. it looks fine to me.

Yes, many cutter owners are operating businesses from their homes.

It's a natural thing in this economy, to grab an inexpensive plotter for a few hundred bucks, download the free program SignBlazer, and voila, you're in business.

These home-based businesses are usually located in residential areas with minimal traffic, thus any signage will have minimal effect to grow the clientele. It's more for the ego of the person to show the world "Hey, I exist now!"

In my opinion (and the opinion of many) these types of visual displays are gaudy and unwelcome, they lower property values, and in most cases, are prohibited by local ordinances.

I'm not trying to bust chops against GCextreme. He's just exercising his "right" to do whatever he wants to do, and he feels nobody will care. Apparently, in Podunk Minnesota, who gives a flying fig?!! But I legitimately noted that it's prohibited 15 miles away from his front door in one of the fastest growing micropolitan cities in his state.

However, as Dan (mabscotthandyman) noted, people are going to put up these home-based signs anyway, and the neighbors (and the law) be damned.

This type of attitude is pervasive -- if you don't believe it, just go out in your car and see how many drivers will ignore the road rules.

Running stop signs, speeding, changing lanes without signalling, texting/talking on cellphones.

And so it goes...

Im sorry but u cant compare road laws to home zoning laws....me putting vinyl or fancy drapes or signs in my yard is totally different than endganering someones life on the road by speeding or driving drunk.

And how the hell can they lower property value....its not f'n permanent!! It can be removed in 15 mins!!

U must be one of those people that think its ok for the government to control every aspect of your life.

The government says hand over your guns, u can only have 1 child, u cant wear white after labor day, u cant have fireworks cuz they are dangerous, its ok for the government to spy on me cuz i have nothing to hide.....people like that are stupid!

Heres an example of the goverment screwing things up.

Last year at the Polar Plunge for Special Olympics they had a hot tub..so u could jump into the ice cold lake then get into a hot tub to warm up.

This year, no hot tub because of big government.

It was considered a public pool and would need a safety rail, a life guard, and the ph levels would have to be maintained.

So no hot tub to warm up in. Apparently its safe and ok to jump into a frozen lake but u cant have a hot tub to warm up in afterwards!

This event raised over 100k for the Special Olympics! And the government says no hot tub!

You might not think it lowers property values but being a homeowner I can tell you it will. Even if it can come right off. If I'm a potential home buyer buying the house next door and I see that in the windows, I'm sure as hell not buying the house. So that just lowered the value of the house. I'd tell that to the owner and they'd be pissed and they'd be all over the phone getting those bright ass stickers down.

I think you missed the point that slice was trying to say. Maybe you should read it again.

• Like 2

it does look cool but does draw attention that i am having a business in my house... not sure how much business u generate and none of my business, but if ur not paying taxes on ur work then it might not be the best advertisement..??.. Maybe u are, again none of my business...my father ran a small engine business from our house when i was growing up but also paid sales tax, plus all the other taxes, claimed it as income,  ect... at that time (in the 80's) cities really didnt care about the zoning as they do now... to each their own as i always say but just be careful of big brother!

Im sorry but u cant compare road laws to home zoning laws....me putting vinyl or fancy drapes or signs in my yard is totally different than endganering someones life on the road by speeding or driving drunk.

And how the hell can they lower property value....its not f'n permanent!! It can be removed in 15 mins!!

U must be one of those people that think its ok for the government to control every aspect of your life.

The government says hand over your guns, u can only have 1 child, u cant wear white after labor day, u cant have fireworks cuz they are dangerous, its ok for the government to spy on me cuz i have nothing to hide.....people like that are stupid!

Here we go with the big bad goverment and taking our guns. The second admendment has not been infringed upon since 1791 when it was adopted. The 2nd admendment gave us the right to possess and bear a gun at that time it was muzzel loaders not simi auto firearms with 30 round clips. There has to be some constraints to keep idiots an fanatics from having cannons, rpg,s , laws , hand grenades and so on. There is places without goverment laws and regulations in third world countrys where every thing runs amuck and they just kill anyone they disagree with and take any and everything they want from the weaker people.

Laws, regulations, rules, zoning etc. are all tools to keep some type of order just like traffic laws, laws against theft , murder and so on with out laws we would soon be ruled and enslaved by the people with the most power and money. Zoning is to protect property values and apperances and to keep communitys safe from undesireable business in a residental area like a bar or strip club next door to you and your kids or next to the school or church.

The goverment may overreach on some things and maybe trying to force safety on people is not right but we have a lot of nuckel heads that endanger themselfs us and our children so yeah we need goverment, state, and local laws and regulations.

• Like 5

Regardless, if he's not breaking the law enough to cause local law enforcement to take action, what do you guys really care? The fact that it's illegal somewhere else and that you don't really like the practice has no bearing on his individual situation.

Aside: The type of weapon is a red herring.  The "muzzel {sic} loader" that was available at the time was the same exact state of the art weaponry that had been available to the people holding them under control.  It's why militias were allowed.  Since the folks in charge have the "simi [sic] auto firearms with 30 round clips" the populace should too according to the law that was created.

• Like 3

OK guys...if this thread turns into a gun argument, I'll have to lock it. Those who know me know how I stand on the subject but this isn't the place for it.

• Like 3