rlvied

A new etching and glass work

Here is a new piece.  3/8 glass that I had to cut, bevel and polish the edges before  I blasted the design. I also had to make the base. The glass is 6x7" with a cherry base.

Bob

post-6565-0-14801500-1387981806_thumb.jppost-6565-0-86143500-1387981901_thumb.jppost-6565-0-44364700-1387981980_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Very nice. Lots of questions. What do you use as a blast media ? How many PSI ? Stencil ? If yes what is it made of ? What type of glass 

David

Dave I mainly use 180 ao for glass. This piece was done at 20 psi. For my mask I used paint mask. I like it because it is easier to remove when done and leaves no adhesive. The glass was just a piece of 3/8 glass that I cut and beveled the edges. It was a piece of scrap left over from a table top that I had to do. After cutting I worked it on a wet belt sander to do the edges the polished with Cerium oxide. I enjoy doing the glass work.

Bob

I am set up with AO for my coatings. The paint mask seems to work well when I use it. 

Have you ever painted glass that has been etched. I am thinking a translucent finish....

David

Racer, yes there are small led lights in the base where the glass is mounted. HDN I have painted some pieces but I don't usually paint the glass. I do paint the mirrors from the back but I don't usually paint anything I do from the front. I did do a piece for someone that I painted with translucent paint the I gold leafed it. It was a dolphin fish. It came out nice but I didn't take pictures.

Bob

• Like 1

Man that looks great and my father would love that.. The reverse weeding confuses me a little bit

Awesome, that's some mighty small letters in "Semper Fidelis".  Where can you I get the vector?

The base is one I made from a piece of cherry that I had. The led lights I bought from a local auto zone . They run off of 12 volts. For the power supply I used an old cell phone charger. After I cut the base like I wanted it I just mortised a slot to put the glass in. Here is the art work.

Bob

post-6565-0-90231900-1388240570_thumb.jp

No problem Scott. I do not charge for them. I feel that if you were a Marine you already paid for them. I usually make one and when I have to go to the VA I will see someone with a hat on and give it to them.