Sign in to follow this  
slice&dice

Turning 4 feet into 80 dollars

Step-by-step production using three colors, total of 4 feet of vinyl, producing two magnets 16" x 16"

I love being a sign guy.

post-21408-0-80531000-1376582443_thumb.j

post-21408-0-98255700-1376582450_thumb.j

post-21408-0-16567700-1376582457_thumb.j

post-21408-0-33073900-1376582464_thumb.j

I know Im going to regret asking this but, whats your method of combining the gold and red in this case? Obviously cant use light box through magnet, you taped your gold before red so not layering that way prior to install on magnet.

Just taped the red with clear app and then freehand placed it right into the gold which was down on the magnet already.

Very cool. You have a much keener eye and steadier hands then me, Im not sure I could get it lined up right that way. Id have to layer it on light box then apply it to magnet. Great work

If uncomfortable by eye just layer it wet on the magnet. I recently decided to do almost all of my layering wet since it seems faster to me that using reg. marks or my lightbox. The exception is Ready To Apply decals that I preassemble since the wet method leaves a mess with something you're gonna hand off to a customer.

By the way, that 4' yellow T-square is an EMPIRE model 410-48 drywall ruler from Home Depot (I think it was $10.)

The weeding tool on the table is pointy pick at one end, and xacto blade at the other.

I got mine from GRIMCO, but USCUTTER sells an EasyGrip version of it --

http://www.uscutter.com/Easy-Grip-Weeding-Tool-Combo

That app-tape dispenser is from ORDWAY -

http://www.signsupply.com/Only_Ordway/current/accesories/tape_dispenser_OAO.asp

My tabletop is a 4x8 sheet of cutting mat (no grid).

• Like 1

If uncomfortable by eye just layer it wet on the magnet. I recently decided to do almost all of my layering wet since it seems faster to me that using reg. marks or my lightbox. The exception is Ready To Apply decals that I preassemble since the wet method leaves a mess with something you're gonna hand off to a customer.

I've been avoiding wet installs because "all the professional do it dry" and you know what? Screw That!  I'm back to wet installs.  I just did a 6' banner and it was so much less nerve wracking to know that if it wasn't perfect the first time I could move it and try again before making it permanent.  It cuts out so much stress that it's not even funny.  Especially now that I'm using a paper tape with RLA adhesive, it's so, So, SO much faster and being able to spray the paper tape with RapidTac II and watch it bubble up and pucker as it releases itself from the substrate and the vinyl - it's a bonus.

Oh, and Slice - those look great - gotta love the quick money jobs!

• Like 4

Ive tried wet a few times. First time it worked perfect, on my back window. No issues at all. Then I tried 2 on some door windows I was installing decals on for a job, neither would stay stuck to window, just kept coming up with tape. Same everything, tape, vinyl (same roll), rapid tac application fluid. Just refused to stick to window so had to come back re-cut and I just applied dry in 2 pieces instead of 1.

Ive tried wet a few times. First time it worked perfect, on my back window. No issues at all. Then I tried 2 on some door windows I was installing decals on for a job, neither would stay stuck to window, just kept coming up with tape. Same everything, tape, vinyl (same roll), rapid tac application fluid. Just refused to stick to window so had to come back re-cut and I just applied dry in 2 pieces instead of 1.

You really need to squeegee the bajeezus out of the tape to get the liquid out from underneath (which you probably already know) - wait 90 seconds(ish) for the vinyl's adhesive to set and then spray the tape itself with the RapidTac, rub it around with your fingers and wait 30-90 seconds and the tape will start to release itself.  

I did 3 car windows yesterday and because the wind was terrible I did them all wet. First 1 didn't want to stick so I sprayed the taped and worked it slowly. The other 2 no problems. Same vinyl, fluid, tape, installer and still that first 1 fought me. As OW pointed out the other day it must of been POTM related.

yeah i followed it to a T on both instances and 1 on my car went great, the other 2 failed. Only thing I can think of is air temp and surface temp was different. On my car it was out in garage where it was much warmer, on the 2 that failed was inside a building with air conditioning.

Sorry to hijack your thread Slice, 1 thing led to another lol

Slice have you ever thought about tracking a 10 yd. roll through it's life to see how much you actually make off it? I considered it but I use scraps sometimes months later so it would be hard to track for me.

yeah i followed it to a T on both instances and 1 on my car went great, the other 2 failed. Only thing I can think of is air temp and surface temp was different. On my car it was out in garage where it was much warmer, on the 2 that failed was inside a building with air conditioning.

Sorry to hijack your thread Slice, 1 thing led to another lol

Not a problem, if anyone gets some ideas for performing their work better, it's all good.

By the way, car windows sometimes have surface residue from car washes (waxes) or Windex (ammonia) neither of which allow for vinyl applications to adhere properly.

Slice have you ever thought about tracking a 10 yd. roll through it's life to see how much you actually make off it? I considered it but I use scraps sometimes months later so it would be hard to track for me.

Well, I did order a 10-yard roll of Orange the other day, specifically for a project that required all orange lettering.

The entire 30-feet went into that single job.

Interesting proposition to check out what I make from random small jobs derived from one roll.

I'll have to try that, and get back to you.

Also, doing wet,  I find it easier if you don't use a ton of spray.  I find just a quick light mist works perfect.  The least you can get away with.  My first wet install was a nightmare because I had tinted windows for years.... in tint.... the wetter the better!  Gives you plenty of time to work with it and we always told our customers to wait 24 hours before the rolled down the windows to allow them to dry all the way out.  

I find it the other way with sign vinyl.  Just enough to allow you to move it if you have to.  That way it seems to dry out and stick faster.

Ill have to find it. I have just "Rapid Tac"

From reading the specs rapid tac 2 is formulated for calandered film and cold weather applications .

Here is what I got from their site http://www.rapidtac.com/rapidtac2.html

Rapid Tac was designed for "premium Cast" films in most weather/temperature conditions. Now there is Rapid Tac II which works with any type film in temperatures extremes 20°F to 140°F. and is a blessing for glass applications.

Going to pick me some up and try it. I have 2 bottles of Original Rapid Tac to go through still though

ok love the tape dispenser. does your table have to be thin to have the disp stay in place. I was looking at the site and if looks to have a lip to catch under a thin table :huh:

ok love the tape dispenser. does your table have to be thin to have the disp stay in place. I was looking at the site and if looks to have a lip to catch under a thin table :huh:

I hold those 2 end brackets in place with c-clamps, the kind that adjust with triggers.

94783.jpg

When I used my tape holder like pictured I used a drywall screw in each side. It was on a smooth plastic table and when I clamped it it would always come loose at the worst possible time.