Vermonster

How to Avoid Static Electricity Issues This Winter

Ahhh... the leaves are turning, pumpkins are being harvested, and static is building in the air...litterally :)

Ground your machine folks.  Don't worry about if it should, if you shouldn't, if you've never done it... just ground it.  Yank the wire out of an old kids toy or something and just use the screws already there.  Should technically cost you nothing if you have kids or if your neighbors kids leave their electronic toys outside  ;D

Just simply....

1.  Back out a screw from the bottom of your machine a little

2.  Wrap a wire around the screw (making sure metal from the wire touches the screw/machine)

3.  Do the same to the other side on the stand.

4.  Drink BEER!!

Also, make sure you advance your vinyl before cutting, and gently wipe it down with one of these!  Can be dollar store ones if cost is a concern...

Your jobs will smell good too!!

:thumbsup:

28496300_52700277fa.jpg

You TOO...can avoid static electricity this winter!!

• Like 1

And the dryer sheet works great for keeping those pesky little bubbles out of your vinyl on coroplast, just clean the coro, then a light wipe with the sheet, year round.

Just wondering something here... If you ground the plotter to the stand and the stand is on plastic wheels, are you truely grounding it? or are you just pass static charge off to the stand instead of the plotter?

Just wondering something here... If you ground the plotter to the stand and the stand is on plastic wheels, are you truely grounding it? or are you just pass static charge off to the stand instead of the plotter?

yes,that is what you are doing. But the static electricity in the stand won't cause your cutting to be bad. The point is to get the static electricity away from the carriage and the blade holder. The electrical ground is taken care of via the grounded plug.

Not sign cutting related but on topic with static electricity and dryer sheets.

Dryer sheets are also a great gnat repelant. In the summer we wipe our faces with dryer sheets to keep the gnats away. I usually stick one under my cap if they are bad and we are outside.

On the static note if you have cloth interior in your car and you are getting zapped when you get out and touch the door you can spray it with aresol Static Guard. I keep a can in my truck. You can also remember to touch the door before you slide out of the seat and the static will discharge without shocking you.

• Like 1

Worth a bump  ***

"the leaves are turning, pumpkins are being harvested..."

colorful_leaves_2-t2.jpg

Thanks for this bump for all us newbies!

Cal

So, liquid softener won�t work?  smile.gif

Actually, if you have carpet...

Many, many, many years ago, when I worked at the arcade at the local mall, we would mix fabric softener 1:10 with water and use that in an old Windex bottle to spray the carpet and keep static electricity to a minimum in the winter time...

Such old posts and i am just now reading them. Good to know.