OWJones

I love making items at $0 profit (NOT!)

Got a request from a regular customer - she wanted a 28" x 27" large quote decal with fancy, swirly fonts, so she can put it on an old window to give as a wedding gift.  I've done the same quote for her before, just needed change the date and names, so I didn't charge her for a design fee - just time and materials.

I realized after quoting her a price that I didn't have enough Oracal 651 black left to do it, but I had a roll of 751 not being used and it's not that much more expensive.   So I get it loaded up, double check that it's facing the right way - not mirrored, etc. and hit cut.   Step out to visit the restroom and come back and it's still cutting and there is about 6' of vinyl already out the front of the machine...   I go back to look at Cutting Master and I had left the qty number set to 2, so it's cutting 2 copies of two panels, so now I've used up twice as much of the more expensive vinyl as I had planned...

Got it weeded and taped and she picked it up last night and then she calls me an hour later - "it's too big - I need it more like 24 x 24 inch".   So I change the size, load up what is left of the 751 and set it to cutting after checking to make sure it was on qty 1...   It finishes, I pull it off the plotter and go start weeding and discover that at some point since yesterday I had turned off weed lines and borders (I used my pen holder to plot out a design and forgot), and in the process of trying to weed this giant swirly font fiasco, I lost a capital M and had to load up even more 751 and cut another letter to replace it.   Try and pull off a big strip of paper tape and it rips right down the center...   I'm pretty sure by that time, any random observer would assume I have Tourette's based on the constant stream of profanity coming from my mouth...   And then she didn't even show up tonight to pick it up - even though she said she needed it right away...

I just love wasting vinyl - and app tape - and my time - and additional wear on my equipment...  

Even with charging her a second time for time & materials, it's hardly going to have been worth the effort...

We all have those jobs and they truly suck. I'll trade mine from last week though, 35 navy shirts 3g transfer on front screen print on back. Turns out I can't spell pentecostal at that time but I'll never forget how now.

• Like 7

had a $300 print order I upgraded to a air release at no extra charge - there was a conversion error I didn't catch and got to do the whole order again

• Like 3

I have learned the hard way to be wary of anyone who has the title:  "Creative Director" or  "Creative  Team" after their name, 'cause they usually can't measure worth shit

• Like 1

I just turned down a job because "the other guy can do 50 shirts for $430, can u beat it?" 

Hell no I can't beat it. He's screen printing, I'm doing vinyl, full front and back. Single color, and back was simply text, but still. If I buy shirts, and do teh designing, cutting, weeding, aligning and pressing for even $10 per shirt, guess what......

• Like 3

Man that sucks! Hard lessons learned I'm sure. At least you're using your equipment.....mine has been idle for some time now :(

Moderator is quick on the draw :thumbsup:

weeded out a few dozen more tonight with a new tool in my belt.  I've been a little pro active this week when i have time

• Like 3

I just turned down a job because "the other guy can do 50 shirts for $430, can u beat it?" 

Hell no I can't beat it. He's screen printing, I'm doing vinyl, full front and back. Single color, and back was simply text, but still. If I buy shirts, and do teh designing, cutting, weeding, aligning and pressing for even $10 per shirt, guess what......

I usually try to get them to do another price check with HTV for an apples for apples price. I don't usually best the screen printers but can often get close and the quote they get from the other guys for vinyl is usually higher so it often ends up bringing me business. "Oh sorry they are probably screen printing those....if that is good enough quality for what you are doing then that's probably going to be the best deal you'll get. I do cut vinyl which is a big step up in longevity and can be a bit more vibrant in the colors in most cases. Why don't you ask them what it would cost to do it in Vinyl and see how close our numbers end up, I can do them for $XX" I rarely have free time because I'm almost always building shirts, word of mouth is the best advertising and over time word gets around. 

• Like 3

It happens to all of us...especially when we are rushed.

Years ago I made a $200 error quoting a job..(wrong substrate).

When I discovered my error, (after they ordered) rather than raising

the price to my customer, with their permission I was able to make

up the invoice at full price and give them a "$200 Donation".

They were happy, plus they knew what the "real" price should

have been AND, I was able to write-off that particular mistake.

I was lucky they were a non-profit organization that I could work

it that way.

I didn't lose any $$$ on that one but I didn't make anything either.

Essentially working for 0.

When given lemons.....

Sue2

This story might make you feel better. I offered to do make some t-shirts "at cost" for a charity/fundraiser for someone I don't even know. My "friend" who has experience screenprinting asked me to donate, and I agreed on the account that they would help me make them. Expected around 50 shirts orders tops, didn't think to put a limit on it. Didn't mind donating a couple hours worth of work. Next thing you know I got 330 shirt orders, front and back. Yes, 330, front and back. Mind you, I'm just a 1 man shop here. They didn't have the courtesy to tell me when they got 100, 200, or even 300 orders, or I would have asked them to stop taking orders. Then when it came time to make them said "friend" was nowhere to be found.  Lesson learned, don't do work for family or friends. Don't do charity events (if anything will donate a basket next time). I hope someone can learn from this because it's the worst mistake I ever made. 

• Like 2

Personally I find "In loving memory" decals to be kind of taboo in terms of making money. I ethically can't make a buck off of misery. I honestly don't like making them, but understand why someone wants to honor their loved ones.

FOR some reason, I've gotten TONS of requests for these and I NEVER feel comfortable making a profit on these jobs, so I volunteer my time or take material goods.

Long story short.... I've gotten cookies, cheese, gift-cards, and a free massage.....

• Like 2

Shoot memorial shirts are money makers and if I don't do them 20 others will. I did over $600 in sales between thursday and friday on memorial shirts. Decals come and go but shirts are consistently good sellers.

Personally I find "In loving memory" decals to be kind of taboo in terms of making money. I ethically can't make a buck off of misery. I honestly don't like making them, but understand why someone wants to honor their loved ones.

FOR some reason, I've gotten TONS of requests for these and I NEVER feel comfortable making a profit on these jobs, so I volunteer my time or take material goods.

Long story short.... I've gotten cookies, cheese, gift-cards, and a free massage.....

Funerals and headstones aren't free. Why should decals or shirts be free? I fell you though and it's good to be nice sometimes.

• Like 1

it's like the big charities that want donated work and pay their ceo hundreds of thousands of dollars  :huh:

• Like 5

it's like the big charities that want donated work, a cash donation and pay their ceo hundreds of thousands of dollars  :huh:

Fixed it for you Dakota.

• Like 3

And it got even worse... I knew I was going to be around when she wanted to pick it up, so I tacked it up on the wall of my back porch.  I texted her and told her where I'd left it, and when I got home it was gone - but she didn't leave payment...  Her excuse was she forgot to stop at the ATM...  She promised to pay me when I see here again - in August...

• Like 1

Now that is a lesson I learned a long, long time ago. That and no more personal checks.

I've known her for years, she is part of our ZombieFest committee, so I know I'm going to see her again... I might want to eat or buy gas before then, though...

Knowing her just makes it hurt worse. no different than skipping out on the check at a restaurant.

I have been burned in the past. I no longer start work without at least a 50% nonrefundable deposit. I don't donate anymore either because it snowballs.

• Like 1

My favorite was a person who wanted to pay in payments. Was small job so nothing near as bad but was 4 different color glitter with 651 black background. 2 layer decals. About 60 of them.

Agreed like an idiot, made them all and my mistake was accepting first payment and provided all of them to him. Never saw him again. Learned that lesson again. Now I dont accept payments at all unless its through my paypal finance account (they deal with it). Works great.

With jobs on pay, I wont start a job until they pay %50 of the asking price and then when it is done, they pay the last half. Just to ensure that if they skip out, that the material was at least paid for and only my time was lost.

Though, my jobs arent business related really as I am not a business, I just do personal stickers and come across random people who find out and want something done.

I dont advertise as a business or anything. (Paypal business account is related to car stuff)

Payments are fine. When they finish paying I do the work and I have actually done this with a couple small churches/