PhatStacksMIA

toughts on Greenstar brand

If you don't have anything nice to say... Everybody has their own opinions and this is just my opinion

• Like 2

It is suitable for long term indoor use and short term outdoor use, but I wouldn't make vehicle decals out of it.

The cost difference between Oracal 651 vs. Greenstar is small and the difference in quality more than makes up for it.

I don't care much for it either but in it's defense it actually cuts and weeds pretty well and for certain applications the extra thick toughness might be an advantage. I have a 40 ton articulated dump truck at my day job that we covered up a previous owners painted logo with some black that I have been using as a test application to see how well it hold up. It's up along the top of the bed where it gets hit with a lot of loose rock and sand. Speaking of which I haven't checked on it for a while I better swing out and look it over. I have used it here and there on short term stuff for people who I know good enough to honestly warn that it's not going to last very long and they won't freak out. 

I use 2-4 rolls a week...50 yard rolls. Can't find a single bad thing to say about it for banners and coroplast signs. It will last as long as the substrate if not longer. For other stuff, I can't say.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback guys! With that being said, what are your thoughts on transfer paper? Which brand would you guys suggest?

I prefer the R-Tape brands. Each is formulated for a different application but most will work fairly universal. IF you are selling to others be sure and get one that has the RLA in it's name. That stands for Release Liner Adhesive I think and they tend to stay stuck down to the carrier better for shipping and handling. Stay with paper IMO it's just better. I have collected several types over the years and still keep several widths and types around but in the end my fav is the Conform 4075 RLA. 

• Like 1

40 76s here but if you're going to be ring the application the greenstar paper tape is good.

• Like 1

I use 2-4 rolls a week...50 yard rolls. Can't find a single bad thing to say about it for banners and coroplast signs. It will last as long as the substrate if not longer. For other stuff, I can't say.

I agree it works well for most applications if it didn't uscutter wouldn't sell it.  It can be a bear to weed from time to time I wouldn't use it to make automotive stripes but window decals and coroplast signs you can't beat it .

• Like 1

I ran and took a pic if the GS vinyl that has been put through the ringer. I'll have to look back and figure out how long it's been in service but it's in as good of shape as you could expect given the beating it has taken. The white lettering is Oracal 651 but behind it is a large overlay of GS black that you have to look close to see on the painted black. it's overlaying a painted logo from a previous owner. Up close it's amazing how well it has stayed on. You can see int he pics how much abuse both have taken from rocks. I have to give GS a thumbs up for toughness and so far it hasn't shrunk much which is one of my main complaints. I suppose with it being a big simple block it will be more resistant to shrinkage. 

post-20133-0-77520000-1414600254_thumb.j

• Like 2

i recently bought my cutter , when i did i bought your basic colors all greenstar i dont see any problems with it , not hard to weed , as for how long it lasts i cant attest to it but so far so good , ive made some signs for shops and decals for trucks no complaints

Uh I would probably not recommend using it on vehicles or glass. There is a lot more expansion and contraction than people think on both and the lower grade vinyl will not handle that very well. I occasionally use 651 Oracal on windows but always use a quality cast on vehicles like Oracal 751 or higher.

Guess oracal it is for me. Many people prefer that brand...even off this forum. But I'll try greenstar on my own vehicle just so I can have my own opinion on it as well. Thanks guys!

See this thread about one of my first decals I made using Sign Warehouse's Endura Gloss house brand vinyl.

http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php?/topic/40620-why-you-should-pay-more-for-name-brand-vinyls/

It is not the same as GreenStar, but it is similar and a good example of why you should buy a quality, name brand vinyl.

• Like 1