Sign in to follow this  
slice&dice

Going through withdrawal (from cutting)

It's been several months since I sold my sign store.

The contract says I'm not to do anything related to the sign/graphics business for a year (non-compete agreement) ---

So, I went into another venture, but I'm suffering withdrawal symptoms from not making signs !!!

Arrrrrgghhhhhhhh....

• Like 1

Did I miss something?

I may have mentioned it at the time, as I turned over my shop as a complete turn-key business to a new owner.

After training him for a few weeks, I walked away with a pile of cash in my pocket and went on to something else.

I'm missing hearing the whoosh-whoosh-zzzzipppp-zzzzipppp of a cutter running.

It just was fun creating stuff.

Maybe we could put together a sound of music cd for you of different vinyl cutter noises.

I may have mentioned it at the time, as I turned over my shop as a complete turn-key business to a new owner.

After training him for a few weeks, I walked away with a pile of cash in my pocket and went on to something else.

I'm missing hearing the whoosh-whoosh-zzzzipppp-zzzzipppp of a cutter running.

It just was fun creating stuff.

Oh ok I thought it was some copyright BS you know. So are you thinking about coming back and when to the world of vinyl.

If you miss the sound just walk through any populated area and your pound to hear dozens of cutters running. Seems everybody has 1 these days.

• Like 1

Wow, when did this happen?

At the end of last year ---  I'm about 6 months into my self-imposed 1-year exile.

Good question madhatter, I am not sure it will be so simple to return to sign making.

When I first opened a store, a lot went into it and I'm hesitant to go through that same challenge again.

My current gig is nice, and I may keep at it. (I'm doing a food concession truck)

Pshawney, I appreciate the gesture, but if YOUR machine (Graphtech CE6000-60) is part of the vinyl-cutter-sounds CD, it certainly won't remind me of my old faithful MH grinding away!!!

jaybird, most of the sign guys up here are running printers (including flatbeds).

Anyway, I still like to hang around this Forum and join along with the chitter-chatter and offer tips and pointers from my years of working with 2 USCUTTER machines (MH and SC). Just being vicariously part of the cutter world kinda helps to get me through the 'withdrawal' symptoms.

• Like 1

The sign industry may be running printers but all their neighbors are using cutters in the spare bedroom. I've actually done quite well with a cutter by explaining that all those faded signs they see are printed and in the South Carolina sun cut vinyl typically has a much longer life expectancy.

I can record my MH GRIND AWAY!!!! OMG you almost have to leave the room when that thing is running.. hehe

I can record my MH GRIND AWAY!!!! OMG you almost have to leave the room when that thing is running.. hehe

Agreed that's why I like using the cameo its quiet compared to that MH

I thought the LP2 was going to be quite but it's almost as bad as the MH!
most stepper motors are noisy. Higher end ones with high resolution tend to be a little quieter but not near as quiet as the servos. Now as one person said just think of it as the sound of money being made
  • Like 1