rlvied

Etched welder

I was playing around today and did this because I got bored.

post-6565-0-54073500-1399145329_thumb.jppost-6565-0-18190400-1399145347_thumb.jp

• Like 4

very nice

would you let me have that file please.

stu

Express this was nothing fancy so it took about 1 1/2 hours start to finish, That is cut  weed and blast, Blasted around 20-30psi

Nice work, as usual, Bob!

Cal

• Like 1

Can you get that effect with etching cream? I have a Graphtech CE-6000 and would like to start doing some glass etching, but I don't know if I have the money to invest in a sand blaster :-(   Also, how do you build those bases? Those are awesome!!

Beatlefreak no you can not get that effect with etching cream. It will not etch deep enough. It will only frost the surface. To really get that effect you need to etch deeper from the back so the light will have some edges to catch on. The light only show where it is etched and if the surface is scratched it will catch that also. Don't ask me how I know the last part.

Bob

Love it!! 

I'd like to build a light box like that... got any plans / adivse / design tips on getting that done?

• Like 1

How thick of glass is that I know the picture frame glass wouldn't work. Also what blast media did you use was it black sand or aluminum oxide or just plain sand? And do you build your display stands or do you buy them already made?

Edited by Madhattergraphix

Hatter all of the glass that I work with is at least 1/4" so that I can get a deep etch. If I were going to etch the front, you can use pretty much any thickness because you are not going that deep. As far as having plans for the base I just had a couple of pieces of 4/6" mahogany laying around. I took that to my friends shop and ran it thru a molding mach for the profile and mortised a slot for the glass. I will take pictures of the light area when I can.

Bob

• Like 2

Hatter , go ahead and give that a go. On some I just bevel the top down at about 45 deg. Nothing to special. You also ask what I blasted with. For the thing that I am going to do detail I use 180 ao at about 20 psi. It takes longer to blast but it doesn't tear up your mask as bad. You can see the glass come off if the angle of the light is right. I can see where I am going too deep or need to go deeper.

Bob

Hatter here is the mitered base that I was talking about. Remember the Marine one I did. That is how I did the base. I started with a piece about 4x4 cherry and just beveled the top and mitered for the glass.

Bob

post-6565-0-04765400-1405244561_thumb.jp

Static, it does leave a rough surface but how much it is depends on the media that you etch with. I also etch everything on the 2nd surface or the back.

The roughness is what catches the light.

Bob