gcextreme

$355 for a booth at a small mall expo!!

The town of Alexandria (pop 12k), and its small mall is having a "Lifestyles Expo" hosted by the Alexandria EchoPress newspaper, its an expo for local businesses. And they want $355 for a booth! Way way too expensive. Hell at the Fairgrounds in the Hockey arena they have craft shows and other shows and those booths go from $75-150...but not even close to $355!!

$355 for a booth is what i would expect to pay in Minneapolis but never in my small town of Alex.

What are the average costs for booths you have paid for??

Unfortunately, with the continued de-valuation of the dollar, the cost of most everything is on the rise.

Add to that the 'Greed Factor' where every link in the monitary chain wants to post huge gains...

Whatdayaget? 

Hammered.

• Like 1

I paid $60 for a two day show last year. The host also owns a restaurant and gave me a couple meals for free.

• Like 1

The most we've paid is $65 for a 3 day outdoor flea market, the biggest one in this quadrant of the state and that was for a 40' x 20' space.  We parked my brother's RV and my pickup and setup two 10x10' pop-ups and the awning of the RV to make ~40' store front...  There was an additional $15 fee for electric hookup which my brother paid so they could keep the lights/fridge on in the RV - I ran off of solar power.

Most malls get guaranteed traffic even in bad weather, plus they're heated/cooled, and usually well lit, so you get a lot of bonuses that you don't get outside.  My local mall, on the other hand, doesn't get nearly as much business and charges less than most malls.  I went there this weekend to check out a model railroad show (I'm not into trains, but wanted to see what all they had) and there were a lot of vendors with a lot of merchandise out for sale - probably the biggest show/sale of any kind that I've seen at our mall, but even then there wasn't a huge crowd.  If I had any railroad themed designs, I think I could have cleaned up at that show - selling to the other vendors, if nothing else.

The big event center here in town has shows and sales throughout the year but they are very expensive and they want a 30% commission on all your sales!  I sponsored the video game conference there 1.5 years ago and we'll never go back there - they raised their prices, plus charge for every table & chair and they added that 30% commission BS after we signed the contract and they wanted us to sign a new contract with that and we said "No way, live with the contract you signed or give us our money back".

the last show we did was a Christmas show in Myrtle Beach and I think it was $180 for a 3 day show. Indoors

Butch

Most shows I do are in the $40-100 range for 2 days. I just signed up for 3 super expensive ones this year though and all I have to say is they better be worth it! The one was $425 for 3 days, and it says it will draw in 100k people. The other one was $390 for 4 days and is supposed to draw in 150k people. Another show I'm doing in the fall is 1 day and $175, supposed to draw in 300k people. Now after typing all of that, I feel like I should be working on inventory and not sitting here relaxing haha. 

How many people do they expect to walk past your booth ? Do you think the demographics of the crowd will  be different ? I would pay a grand if I was reaching the right group of people.. 

Just my thoughts after a long day

David

I looked into a booth at the local boat show recently and they wanted $400 for 2 days in the lobby!!! Kingsport TN

Yeah i just think $355 is way too much for one dam day!! I hardly doubt i would sell enough hats/shirts or decals to cover that cost!

Yeah i just think $355 is way too much for one dam day!! I hardly doubt i would sell enough hats/shirts or decals to cover that cost!

But then again, If you break even, you got your name out there to a few more people.