Sign in to follow this  
DarronHicks

Should I start doing Sublimation or Vinyl?

Ok so I am an 18 year old new here but not new to graphics (specifically Offset printing and Vinyl signs). In 4 years of high school I took as much of the graphics class as I could and got pretty good at it. My question is basically this; I have between $350 to $750 to put into some equipment for one or the other which one is my best option. My thoughts, questions and concerns.

Sublimation- I have never done this however it seems pretty straight forward. The cost is a little higher for initial setup it seems but I would probably be buying the Ricoh SG3110DN which from my understanding is a decent entry level printer. With sublimation it is very versatile but is the versatility going to make money or cost me money working out of my house? I mean if I am doing stuff like puzzles, mugs, ,mouse pads and flip flops am I going to be able to make money not keeping a decent amount of overhead? Also I would buy either a 9x12 or 15x15 swing arm heat press which I believe would be good enough to start me out.

Vinyl- I am familiar with working with this stuff. I know that there is demand out there for signs, decals and such however there are so many of the online/local companies to compete with (not that there is not with sublimation, just a thought. I know the cutter I would probably get is the US Cutter MH34 which seems to be decent. I just want something entry level basically as proof of concept to myself. I also think that just being able to do decals and signs limits me and its a tougher sell because I can not do printed sign graphics because the printers are simply too costly for me as of right now. So how well would I do?

Honestly- I do not know if I can make money doing either but when I set my mind to something I will try as hard as I can to do it. I would put 110% effort into it and try not to fall flat on my face. When I get my mind stuck on something no matter how stupid; I usually research a lot about it and make an educated attempt at something so that I at least have the chance to succeed. I know this post is long winded and rather dumb, but these are just some the questions I want to ask before I make a financial decision either way. Let me know what you think I should do guys and gals! Thanks, Darron Hicks

Ask yourself what is your target market and what will make my stuff different from everyone else doing the same thing? Answer that and you will be able to answer your questions

Dakota is right . I do both and both has its ups and downs. You will have to decide which one you would want to offer your customers.

You have to first figure out what ~you~ have to offer... ~then~ decide how to offer it.

I see what you are saying. Sounds like I should do more research on in my target market, which is mainly local people my age and higher.  I know personalized stuff is pretty popular right now especially local team stuff. I think I like the versatility of sublimation a little bit better but I am not a fan of the cost aspect of it. Puzzles, bracelets, and flip flops are popular just from listening to people around me, so then I would just have to take that and convince them that that stuff is cool but personalized versions of that stuff is REALLY cool! Haha

The main reason there are quite a few sign stores is because sign manufacturing is a huge business, and they are all taking a slice of the pie.

If you start with signs, you can earn your initial investment back in ONE job. Yep, it's not too crazy to be asked to complete a $700 sign job using a vinyl cutter only.

post-21408-0-33666500-1386473616_thumb.j

The main reason there are quite a few sign stores is because sign manufacturing is a huge business, and they are all taking a slice of the pie.

If you start with signs, you can earn your initial investment back in ONE job. Yep, it's not too crazy to be asked to complete a $700 sign job using a vinyl cutter only.

is that you Slice?

It seems like getting a 34 inch cutter would limit me to smaller signs. I could always piece together 2 halves but in my opinion that looks unprofessional at times haha.

It seems like getting a 34 inch cutter would limit me to smaller signs. I could always piece together 2 halves but in my opinion that looks unprofessional at times haha.

very few elements in signs are bigger than a 24" can handle -- I had a 50" and only needed it a couple of times -   also with over 30" your selection of vinyl drops drastically.  heck there is a huge difference in the amount of specialty vinyl over 24" as opposed to 30"

Now that I think about it at school we were mainly limited by the printer we had. We had Gerber Edge thermal transfer printer and on that you can do a lot just not large graphics lol. If I ever get back to the school I will take pictures of the work I did that is still up. I know there are at least 8 things that I did myself or with the help of my buddy. I really want to take pictures of stuff I did but I am not sure if I can get permission to do it. I may just have my brother do it for me!

depends on the cutter - graphtec never a problem - mh has the most - others somewhere in between - every house is different

maybe someone else with a sc will chime in - not sure we have had as much problem with those as the mh

I like the price of the MH series that's on eBay right now. At 300 dollars its pretty good unfortunately I wont be able to jump into this until January sometime. I may look into the SC I have some Christmas stuff to buy and owe a little money so that's my next couple checks. After that however I am able to get into this stuff! haha. Thanks everyone!

Darron, from all I have read the MH gives lots of problems. Go with the SC . After my own looking around I had already settled on the SC but when talking to the salesman at SCutter location  he also suggested the SC over the MH. He said if you have any inhibition of cutting any amount whatsoever to go with the SC. Now I know a little of that talk was to bring in more $ but he diff in cost was not that enormous. I have the 25" SC and have had no problems with it after the first week. I got a lemon and it had to be replaced but had NO trouble having that done. It sounds like you are wanting to do more than me so go with the SC.

Oh to be 18 again!! If I could go back and start over at 18, I'd buy my MH721 and not wait a moment later. It will pay back for itself in a couple jobs. Once people hear you can make decals...you're set. I'd use that profit to buy sublimation stuff. You won't be in the hole any if you already have money saved up to buy the machine and some vinyl to start. Then keep using the money you make to buy more stuff (don't get a loan) and eventually get into sublimation (if you're still interested in it at that point). That's basically what I did except a few years older than you. Live at home as long as you can lol, it will make it a lot easier. As long as you have the desire and interest, it won't matter how much you make but odds are you'll make a decent profit regardless. Here it is 6 years later and I'm still using my MH721. I know there are better cutters out there but honestly, I'd start with a cheaper one (make sure you ground it and get the keyspan) and get your feet wet before deciding whether to get a more expensive one. You would always have the cheaper one as a backup. 

On carpeting, just place cardboard under the feet of the stand.

I had an SC which was the main cutter in a retail environment.

I've recently sold the entire storefront sign operation for over $7000.

(No, that's not me in the picture, BTW)

Keep an eye on craigslist for a deal.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/bfs/4234896354.html

I would like to have the ability to do contour cutting and it says that the MH series can not do it. I mean it wouldn't really be necessary until I had a printer and that may never happen or by that point I will have a better cutter. It is a lot to think about lol.

You can purchase Flexistarter10 software and it has it's own contour cutting program in it. You do not need a laser to contour cut.  The program measures from the blade int the middle of the registration mark. and records in the software, so it can make any cutter, a contour cutting machine. Can be had for under $130 on the big auction site.

I do vinyl and sublimation but for me vinyl is the money maker hands down. As for cutters get the best you can afford and price is a pretty good gauge of quality with these machines.

• Like 1

1) Buy a vinyl cutter of your choice. Make that money back quickly doing signs and decals.

2) Buy a decent quality heat press. Make your money back quickly doing heat press vinyl on t-shirts, hoodies, etc.

3) Then buy a dye sub printer - you'll already have a customer base established and you'll already have the heatpress from step 2.

4) Buy some cactus wraps and a large toaster oven for doing dye-sub coffee mugs.

5) Go to Conde, ACP, LRI, Johnson Plastics, (or whichever sublimation product vendor you choose) with the intent of buying $15 worth of product and then wonder 90 minutes later how you ended up with $485 worth of merchandise in your cart.

6) Join Dye-Sub Anonymous - admitting your problem is the first step.

• Like 1

I just ordered those stupid little bottle aprons just because they looked cool in the picture. It is an addiction and I am seeking help.

• Like 1

Conde seems to be the best because they don't have any kind of minimums. I was on there the other day and thinking man that would be cool, man that would be cool, man wouldn't that be cool to do, so I could for sure see it being easy to spend that much in a hurry. hahaha!

conde, bestblanks LRI and paramount are the ones I normally use. Each 1 has things the others don't.

Thanks for everyones help so far. I am on a bunch of different forums for various hobbies ( I have an absurd number of hobbies) and I know that the new guy asking a ton of questions that have been asked 1000 times can be very annoying. However it can at times be a good way to judge the quality of forums too and I must say this forum is awesome.

• Like 2