Sign in to follow this  
Dawn's Design

Lease or Buy

I'm fixing to buy a vinyl cutter and was wondering would it be better to buy a cutter out right or lease purchase . If I buy I will have to start with a cheaper one

Thanks for any feedback

If it was me, I would lease the best I could afford,but ONLY if you have the option to buy with a sizeable portion of your lease payments going on the purchase price.

• Like 1

The only thing I'm worried about is if I buy and the work does not come in very fast at first .t will not cost me for the cutter to sit. If I lease I will have a payment even if I work or no.

• Like 1

There are always pros and cons to everything. I bought my first cutter without having any idea if I would have the business to pay for it. I had it paid for within a month. Once people found out I had it,EVERYONE needed something.

• Like 2

I've had my ups and downs but if I could do it again I'd do a lease on the best machine they'd let me have. Too much money spent in wasted materials and down time fixing stuff. It's nice to know that the gremlins don't sneak up as often on the higher end machines. 

I'm thinking of the US Cutter SC I can pay cash for it. Is this a good cutter to start with or do I need to look at another.

I was thinking that too Jay Bird there is a lots of things to consider when going into business. I know I want to buy a cutter that want stay down all the time.

I've never used a SC personally but they seem to be pretty well regarded along the value cutters. A couple of my friends use SC cutters on a daily basis with very little troubles.

Ok thanks jay still lots to consider. I have been doing sublimation for a little over a year now. A few customers have ask about vinyl is the reason I'm thinking of buying one.

I recently bought a SC cutter. It has worked great for me so far. Just don't cut with it late at night when the kids are in bed. It is a little noisy but for the money it is a great machine to start with. You save money from each job you do to buy a higher end machine.

• Like 1

I can get the laser point II for around the same price if I leave off a few things. But I don't know a thing about contour cutting.

Without a fancy printer about the only thing contour cutting is used for is t shirt transfers for dark color shirts. If you don't plan on messing with shirts don't worry about the contour cutting.

I'm going to do a few t shirts but right now I use screen printed transfers from pro world. The customers that are asking me about the vinyl wants signs on vehicles and things like that.

you can look at some of my work i posted in the show your work section to see what i have cut with that machine

The lease option gives you a good tax write off but starting out you may not need that. I have a p-cut it has served me well and there is a lot of praise from owners of the copam cutter it is sort of a professional entry cutter . One of the ladies that use to be on the forum had one and cut some very small cuts ....it would be worth a look at the price point. Check out the specs before you buy and you will be a informed comsumer lol. Good luck on your new venture.

Dan

I bought my SC last November. It has paid itself off so many times. I really think its a great value cutter. Its no graphtec, but for the money its a great way to get started. Like everything it has some little quirks here and there but nothing you cant work around with ease. Im saving for a graphtec but will still keep my SC as a back up cutter.

• Like 2

Thanks monkey. I think I'm going to buy the SC. Everyone I talk to about it has good to say. And US cutters gets good reviews also.

Thanks monkey. I think I'm going to buy the SC. Everyone I talk to about it has good to say. And US cutters gets good reviews also.

The only way we start learing is to jump right in - there will be a learning curve but we all have to start somewhere.  If you like it you can move up later.   I think the buying make sense personally - if you are down for 3 months for some reason you aren't trying to come up with the money to pay the lease. or if you decide it isn't for you - you aren't stuck paying the lease for the contract period

• Like 1

The only way we start learing is to jump right in - there will be a learning curve but we all have to start somewhere.  If you like it you can move up later.   I think the buying make sense personally - if you are down for 3 months for some reason you aren't trying to come up with the money to pay the lease. or if you decide it isn't for you - you aren't stuck paying the lease for the contract period

That's was what I was thinking.