security802

Wife needed a sign

So we were at Walmart the other day and wife says to me.. "let's buy a yard sale sign". "Um duh I am a sign guy, why are we buying a plain yard sale sign for $5?"

So here is the one I made up for her. Two sided for the end of our road. Don't mind the sucky camera on my phone.

post-36874-0-61403700-1375642252_thumb.j

Looks good. You'd be surprised how many people will come in and pay the extra for a sign like that than a Wal Mart special. I know it surprised me. Maybe you can sell a couple yard sale signs at the yard sale.

Thanks all

Looks good. You'd be surprised how many people will come in and pay the extra for a sign like that than a Wal Mart special. I know it surprised me. Maybe you can sell a couple yard sale signs at the yard sale.

I was thinking the same thing. Was hoping to get a banner done to put up along with my yard sign. Doesn't look like it will happen have to get sister in law moved in to my house so that is taking most of our time right now. The things we do for family

Time is money, and you had to stop all other activity (including the moving process) to prepare that sign. 

All you gained was something like $2.50  (the WalMart sign came with a stake, right?)

I would have grabbed the WalMart sign and went on with my busy day.

Time is money, and you had to stop all other activity (including the moving process) to prepare that sign. 

All you gained was something like $2.50  (the WalMart sign came with a stake, right?)

I would have grabbed the WalMart sign and went on with my busy day.

LOL done at night in front of some xfiles, good practice for two color lays on coro. And a good excuse to take break from moving crap also. Vinyl is my drug of chose to unwind

The point of a sign is to gain attention. How much more attention is gained by a nice sign than crap from Wal Mart.

• Like 1

The WalMart 13" x 21" sign says what it's supposed to say:  "Yard Sale" -- 

It indeed conveys the message, and gets people to follow the signs to where the sale is taking place.

This ain't rocket science.

0002906922303_180X180.jpg

The WalMart company provides many tens of thousands of these to the public all across the USA, at five bucks a pop.

That ain't crap in my book.

We have different taste that much is for sure. I've seen so many red and white signs working the flea markets and just driving down the road I don't even bother to read them any more. And I have more than a few customers that feel the same way and are willing to spend $21 on a 18x24 2 sided sign to help them stand out. Luckily Wal Mart isn't my competition and makes me wonder how you can treat a sign job like that especially after making a point before that you are a sign maker. It's small but it's a sign.

If MY wife wanted to hold a Yard Sale and was going to put up just ONE sign, and she was looking at that basic one right there at WalMart for five bucks, I would have said NOTHING and let her get it, for sure.

Hell, most people around here tack up cardboard with magic marker writing.

We have different taste that much is for sure. I've seen so many red and white signs working the flea markets and just driving down the road I don't even bother to read them any more. And I have more than a few customers that feel the same way and are willing to spend $21 on a 18x24 2 sided sign to help them stand out. Luckily Wal Mart isn't my competition and makes me wonder how you can treat a sign job like that especially after making a point before that you are a sign maker. It's small but it's a sign.

A few points of order here --

#1. It was NOT a paying job, he volunteered to do this, and made the statement that it was "good practice for two color lays on coro. And a good excuse to take break from moving (his sister-in-law) ... Vinyl is my drug of chose to unwind"

In other words, he was looking to play around with this project, and did it for his own enjoyment.

#2. I've done Yard Sale signs, and when asked to knock out a few, I certainly appreciate the jobs.

However, that's not the case here. 

The case here is a guy who decided to override his wife's $5 purchase, and created a $20 (valued) sign instead.

But then, realizing that he was busy with other things, and this project was taking up too much of his time, he abandoned the banner which would have REALLY made her Yard Sale get noticed.

If I had been volunteering to promote the wife's Yard Sale, I would have done that banner FIRST, for maximum effect, and then a few of the bandit signs that could be scattered around the neighborhood at various intersections (with ARROWS)  to attract people.

And lastly -

#3. Wal Mart is my competition. They are offering custom digital full-color banners online (through the Sam's Club website) and I guarantee they'll be getting deeper and deeper into producing printed signs and banners at more and more locations, installing wide-format printers and offering customers that service in-store.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/custom-digital-vinyl-banner-large/prod6570189.ip

A few points of order here --

#1. It was NOT a paying job, he volunteered to do this, and made the statement that it was "good practice for two color lays on coro. And a good excuse to take break from moving (his sister-in-law) ... Vinyl is my drug of chose to unwind"

In other words, he was looking to play around with this project, and did it for his own enjoyment.

#2. I've done Yard Sale signs, and when asked to knock out a few, I certainly appreciate the jobs.

However, that's not the case here. 

The case here is a guy who decided to override his wife's $5 purchase, and created a $20 (valued) sign instead.

But then, realizing that he was busy with other things, and this project was taking up too much of his time, he abandoned the banner which would have REALLY made her Yard Sale get noticed.

If I had been volunteering to promote the wife's Yard Sale, I would have done that banner FIRST, for maximum effect, and then a few of the bandit signs that could be scattered around the neighborhood at various intersections (with ARROWS)  to attract people.

And lastly -

#3. Wal Mart is my competition. They are offering custom digital full-color banners online (through the Sam's Club website) and I guarantee they'll be getting deeper and deeper into producing printed signs and banners at more and more locations, installing wide-format printers and offering customers that service in-store.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/custom-digital-vinyl-banner-large/prod6570189.ip

here is the place providing the printing for sams club you noted.   they are selling for a higher price on thier site :huh:   http://lasvegasrealestatewebsites.com//index.php?main_page=contact_us&zenid=8d7e00d708b550d1264b6acea6e024d7

LOL a simple yard sale sign turns into a spirited debate on here amuses me. Sometimes it appears Slice just likes to create debate LOL

The banner was not for the advertising of the yard sale but the fact that we do custom banners and signs.

The guy across from me at the flea market this weekend had a bunch of "Yard Sale" signs that he made and tried to sell.

Single color (black) on yellow coroplast with a stake.  $5 each.  

Of course, he didn't cut the coroplast square - or level - or in a straight line, so they looked crappy

He also had a limited selection of marathon/running themed decals that he was selling - Oracal 651 with Oracal HT55 tape (which is the tape intended for 631 - don't know how well it works with 651) - I don't think he sold a single one, but if you've ever looked close at the crowds that frequent flea markets, not a lot of skinny runners there...  At least his decals looked good, but he had them hanging from clips around the perimeter of his pop-up canopy and weren't labeled as to what they were or had prices on them.

I found one other decal vendor at the flea market in the farthest corner from where I was located - he had 3 large banners covered with decals (all clip art images - not a single original design that I could see) and each one was numbered with a 4 digit number.  The interior of his canopy was mostly empty, so I'm not sure where the actual decals were if you wanted to purchase one.  He also had no prices posted for his decals.  I learned a long time - put prices on stuff because a lot of people won't bother to ask and they'll just move on...

LOL a simple yard sale sign turns into a spirited debate on here amuses me. Sometimes it appears Slice just likes to create debate LOL

I live for it.   :D

"The banner was not for the advertising of the yard sale but the fact that we do custom banners and signs."

Ever try the Insta-Banner product from USCUTTER?  It's very cool, just run it through the cutter, weed, add grommets on the corners and voila, DONE !!!

http://www.uscutter.com/GreenStar-Two-Color-Vinyl-Banner-Starter-Kit-11-24-x-5-ft-Rolls-With-Software

I like you Slice because we can have an intellectual conversation without going to that dark place. My thinking on making the yard sale sign goes beyond all that other stuff to the point that I make signs and would be embarrassed to have that other "sign" pointing to my house for fear that someone who knows what I do would think I would produce such a thing. Gotta keep up appearances.

Jay, I like your approach here, too.

After all, we are just trying to spend a little enjoyment time with our fellow cutting-enthusiasts and not trying to change the world on this Forum.

You raise an interesting point regarding local people who recognize that EL Design is a sign maker, and yet he places a standard store-bought placard instead of his own work.

Which is even MORE reason he should have done the banner, too!!!

Speaking of banners, I had one anchored to an electric pole out by the roadside in front of my store for a few months, but a Utility Crew recently came by and took it down. Lesson of the day -- don't attach signs to public utility poles.  DUH!

Gotta catch them when the are taking it down, amazing what a case of beer will make them do to forget it was even there ;)

I live for it.   :D

"The banner was not for the advertising of the yard sale but the fact that we do custom banners and signs."

Ever try the Insta-Banner product from USCUTTER?  It's very cool, just run it through the cutter, weed, add grommets on the corners and voila, DONE !!!

http://www.uscutter.com/GreenStar-Two-Color-Vinyl-Banner-Starter-Kit-11-24-x-5-ft-Rolls-With-Software

I have a couple that came with my SC pkg deal

As long as we all go away with a smile at the end I have no worries about what is said. Makes for good insight and feed back. You guys/gals are good people

• Like 1