Machspeed

Cutting direction question

I'm new to cutting vinyl so this is pretty much my first time using any SCAL software but I have experience with cad/cam software. I recently bought a MH721-MK2 and have been able to successfully cut a few pieces. I noticed when the machine starts a cut it moves near the bottom of design and that's where it begins the cut. Is there way to change this so the cut will start at the 0,0 corner of the mat? Of course I wouldn't necessarily use 0,0 as the origin but if possible I want to start my cuts from the arrow side of the mat. This is mostly for preference and what I'm used to with my other pieces of equipment. Is there reason for a cut to be set up to start from the bottom?

Thanks in advance for any information.

On any vinyl cutter, you must push the Orgin button on the machine. .  That is 0/0 and where the cutter starts measuring the design from.  Most cutters start cutting, where the design was originally designed at.   I Use a Graphtec, and Flexi software.  I cut very large designs.  My cutter may move several feet, before it starts cutting, but it comes back to finish the rest of the design at the front.   Is there a reason that you choose Scalp software over Vinyl Master software?    Scalp was created for hobby cutters like the Cricut.   Vinyl Master was created for the sign industry business.  Just throwing that out there. 

• Like 1

Thank you for your reply. The SCAL software was included with the cutter. I'm at a point where I can not justify buying more software until it is necessary or I'm doing more with the cutter. I understand setting the origin on the cutter (or at least I think I do)but my problem is the orientation of the cut. For example if I simply use text to make an "A" that is 12" tall and the top of the "A" is toward the feed direction arrow at the top of the mat on the screen. For some reason when I preview the cut or make an actual cut the letter is inverted. Meaning the cut will start at the bottom of the "A" and when the cut is finished the "A" is upside down when I'm looking at it from the front of the machine. This is not actual project. It's just how my cuts have been coming out. 

21 minutes ago, Machspeed said:

Thank you for your reply. The SCAL software was included with the cutter. I'm at a point where I can not justify buying more software until it is necessary or I'm doing more with the cutter. I understand setting the origin on the cutter (or at least I think I do)but my problem is the orientation of the cut. For example if I simply use text to make an "A" that is 12" tall and the top of the "A" is toward the feed direction arrow at the top of the mat on the screen. For some reason when I preview the cut or make an actual cut the letter is inverted. Meaning the cut will start at the bottom of the "A" and when the cut is finished the "A" is upside down when I'm looking at it from the front of the machine. This is not actual project. It's just how my cuts have been coming out. 

Pretty sure there is a check box that will rotate the cut direction 90deg. I don't use SCALP either so I'm not 100% on that. 

The cut is coming out exactly as it is shown on your screen. If the top of the A is the toward the top of the arrow then the top of the A will be at the edge of the vinyl as the cut starts. Or another way to think of it, the cutter will be at the bottom of the arrow when the cut is done and if you look at it from the front of the machine you are looking at it upside down.

Make sure you don't have WYSIWYG enabled.

Also, Why do you even care what direction the cut design faces? (with the exception being 'Rotate Across Vinyl' for wide or narrow/tall items to fit properly on the media)

I'm not seeing a problem.

Just a follow-up, when anyone has an issue that needs to be addressed regarding their cutting software or hardware, the BEST thing is to download and install SignBlazer (disable anti-virus first, as has been explained countless times here). Your MH cutter is a RedSail unit.   http://www.uscuttersupport.com/downloads/Software/SignBlazer/signblazer_setup.exe