Sign in to follow this  
Dakotagrafx

seriously my mail carrier ran today - roads are closed per govenor

she is incredible - no idea how she does it!  I got towed twice last night (during no travel restriction) to get now blower belt.  I bow to her greatness.

The tracks in the road is where future son in laws 4x4 one done was dragging while plowing snow with the front bumper (and where I snow blowed the road in front of mailbox).  so this am I wake up to my wife yelling she had to use her spare keys as she couldn't find her regular ones - she jumps in the beetle heads out like a bull in  a china shop down the part of the road I had snow blown last night and calls from the corner she is stuck - imagine that - so bundle up in 2 degree weather and snow blow more of the road to dig her out and get her back home.   umm 4x4 dragging underside and you think a beetle can get thru with the ground clearance of a lawn mower?

post-2742-0-19026600-1389034432_thumb.jp

post-2742-0-33997200-1389034437_thumb.jp

we got about 15 inches here,plus the blowing/drifting.    Yes, I read where the mail was still going to run..   I'm going to attempt to snow blow the sidewalks.  I have had the flu since last Saturday,  feeling a bit better now, but sure hate to get out in minus 13 degrees here.   Trying not to.  Going to be minus 21 here tonight.

Don't you remember the commercial about what the plow drivers drive to get to work? Used to show those old commercials on Nick at Nite waaay back when and that old school Beetle was plugging away through the snow. Think I'm gonna stay closed tomorrow here, windchill in the single digits in SC will have everything shut down so I think I'll take the day off and hibernate :ph34r:

• Like 1

stay warm Carolyn, we are trying to stay in for the most part - snow blowed 3 times yesterday and will wait for the drifts to close in before i even think about it again.  I pushed it way back to allow for drifts and made a pass thru the middle of the front yard like I used to int he old days to fill with snow and slow the driveway drifting

I am so missing my truck that is in storage and cant get to it to get it out :(  the journey with 19" low profile wide tires is actually worse than the bettle so that is what I took yesterday to get the snow blower belt.  getting towed a mile backwards was a new experience

I have to laugh about the Volkswagen. I have an accord that a couple of my girls drive to high school and I recently bought a 96 Toyota Landcruiser to be my plaything and a second option for them to share. At first they were skeptical of the cruiser until the snow hit this winter and they realized that thing is a mountain goat on wheels. Now they won't drive the Honda even when the roads are good but the crusier only gets like 12 mpg. My wife has a 4x4 suburban so she's pretty much spoiled and doesn't realize it. 

• Like 2

my best one goose is in storage a 2wd dodge ram  - cant get thru the 18" 60+ ft drive to get to it and would need the truck to take the snow blower over to get it out so will see it in the spring and keep to home for now.  very few times i wish I had a 4wd - this is one of them and greatfull for future SIL with the 4x4 one ton!

I always had 4x4 when I lived up north. Great in the blizzards and loved off-roading in the summer months. That was 9 years ago and gas was a whole lot cheaper than it is now.

my best one goose is in storage a 2wd dodge ram  - cant get thru the 18" 60+ ft drive to get to it and would need the truck to take the snow blower over to get it out so will see it in the spring and keep to home for now.  very few times i wish I had a 4wd - this is one of them and greatfull for future SIL with the 4x4 one ton!

I have 7 girls so although I have no current son in laws I expect I'll have a few sooner or later and I think it's only fair game to utilize the benefits!

• Like 1

Jay we've been spoiled and haven't had any real snow for years - I sold the sleds about 8 years ago and almost never have had a chance to miss them since - now this week I would have been riding all the time and Stacey would have either been with me on hers or cussing me out wondering if I would ever come home

I used to have 4x4s on every auto I bought till the gas prices and maintenance expenses made me say I dont need 4 wheel drive anyway got rid of the last one in 2008 when gas was over 4 bucks a gallon and that truck got about 7 miles a gallon. Bought the front wheel drive mini vans for gas milage 20/25 and have never regreted it. We have not had a terrible snow in 15 years 1998 we got 60 inches in 2 snow storms 3 days apart 42 then 18 on top of it. We had 24 during sandy last fall but that was more than our usal big snows most of ours build up over several snows so the roads ar not to bad besides those minivans go like a tank.

Gas here is still 3.50 and I dont belive the oil companys will let it drop much below that here they will come up with a shortage breakdown what ever to keep the bidding high on crude. I am looking to replace at least one this year maybe two and they will be the minivans. I hope to find a good used cargo van in the dodge grand caravan with the 3.9 for better towing.

• Like 2

I dont envy all that snow...

Everybody in my town was freaking out and making a mad dash for groceries, afraid of the coming snow...

Its been nothing but a little rain and blue sky the whole time.  If it did snow it would be like 1-3" tops, except in the higher elevations, they can get hit pretty hard.

Thats awesome your mail still gets delivered in that, our drivers stop delivering pretty quick when its icy, there are a lot of winding mountain roads here with no guard rails, so i don't blame them much.

Still $3.05 a gallon here and hoping it stay close to $3 for a while.

We had a caravan too, it was great in the snow. I would seat 7 and still get 25 on the hiway. The wife got tired of the "Soccer Mom" image and we got rid of it. Bought a Toyota Matrix AWD that will go just about anywhere in the snow unless it's too deep. I put studless snows on it in the winter and even on ice it does fantastic.

• Like 1

up here in west michigan ( pentwater ) its blowing cold as hell right now and the snowplow just ran by damn it, like i want to go out in blow the driveway lol. But i have to be up and gone at 4 am tomorrow so kinda have to. it has to be -12 right now.. OUCH.

and of course kids again have no school lol. thank god i go to work lol

I'm not going to tell you guys but it's 83 degrees down here right now. Stay warm!!! :rolleyes:  :rolleyes: 

• Like 2

Dan our carivan used to kick all our other cars butts in the snow - miss it!

The first mini van I bought a ford windstar cargo was like a little joke to a couple contractor friends of mine one had a f350 4x4 diesel our diesel sky rocketed in 2008 and is still close to 4.00 guess what he drives now a astro van all whell drive but the caravans can go any where he can the other one bought a windstar and ripped out the seats. The one I drive all the time is a chrysler town and country I took out the seats and built drawer units in the floor in the whole cargo area and carpeted it. It cant ve beat for driveability nice ride, good economy, and I can haul about any thing I need and for larger jobs I have the material delivered plus I have the old f150 if I need it for long stuff.

• Like 2

we have a Toyota Sienna FWD. Honestly unless the snow is so deep it bottoms out it does amazing in the snow.

The darn thing is so heavy it's gets awesome traction!!

I like how most of the southerners are keeping quiet. We're all at the beach!