CKR

I JUST NEED TO VENT

To my amazement on how many people jump into vinyl cutting and design and have no idea what they are doing.

No idea how to use the software, no idea how to operate the cutter, no idea how to set it up, I had a few problems and corrected most of them myself.

But ********I didn't want to box it up and sent it back.

I have cad and programing experience, and operate  2 CNC machines for a large trade show company.

I cut 3-D letters from sign foam, blast foam, Plexiglas and also all forms of wood and plastic.

But my biggest amazement is how someone could buy a cutter with no experience at all, and land a job that will pay for the cutter in 2 jobs.

I advertise post on many sites offer my work half of what I should charge for it, give free estimates and get no work.

Maybe I need to raise my prices!

I know people want to learn something new and want to make some extra money, and SO DO I.

BUT for the new guy or girl at least investigate what you are about to get into. Don't blame the cutter or the software or the company you bought it from.

The one I have works just fine.

Just blame yourself!

I agree with you!

I'll admit though I didn't know alot about software design apps, but have made great strides already in the 8 months I've owned it.

I love my cutter and have had some decent jobs. 

I don't think it's all you, why you haven't gotten alot of jobs........the economy right now isn't helping.  But I stay hopeful!  :)

You should be required to take and pass a Technology Test prior to purchasing any electronic equipment.

wow ... so is the rant about no/low tech newbies, or about business not coming thru the door?

I'm a newbie to cutting. I relied heavily on this forum to get my cutter and software running smoothly. I also have a fairly decent technical background, and know CAD. But in the end that really doesn't make a whole lot of difference. If I'm not making money with my cutter, I've got no one to blame but myself.

The newbies that want to pack up their equipment and ship it back, that's up to them. It's probably best to just steer clear of them and let them be. We can only help the ones that want to be helped, and for those who do not have the patience to learn, we probably wouldn't want them on this forum in the first place.

I use my experience to my advantage.  If someone new doesn't know how to redraw artwork or vectorize artwork,they can easily be charged.  There is room for all sorts of businesses here, whether there are knowledgeable people or not.  If they got the jobs, good for them.  If you get it...good for you.  The point is to not worry about everyone else and do your own thing.  If you feel you shouldn't help that person, don't.  Plain and simple.  There are numerous times where i see people jump right into things and realize it wasn't for them, like people buying a $4000 mountaing bike and use it twice...  My hat's off to them for even trying...how many people even bother to take chances these days? If they quit and just want to get rid of their machines..that is good news for us..instant discount!  There is always something positive in every situation...i agree people should learn to at least use the programs..i get called upon many times to do work for people...some i don't even know and get NOTHING out of it.  It is my own fault to agree, i know, but the reality is...everyone starts somewhere.  And the more people doing what we do, the cheaper it is for all of us in the long run. 

I am a newbie, too.  But, I took the time to read the forums before I bought.  I also downloaded SignBlazer Elements before I even bought my cutter.  I was reading about all the trouble with setups (USB, etc.) before my cutter showed up.  Now, granted, I am sure that some people receive lemons and that can't be helped.  You kind of have to know what you are getting into before you make that cash outlay.

Without the folks on the forum and Ken, I probably wouldn't have had my cutter up and running in the matter of an evening.  Now, I am editing nodes, converting vectors and have almost made enough money in less than a month to pay for my cutter (if you don't count what I have donated!).

To those looking to buy, read this forum.  If you don't understand something, ask.  The folks on this forum are the best ever.  They are patient and generous.

Vent away!!!

Patty T

I researched for about 5 months before I bought my cutter. I just wanted it for work around our Self Storage facility - trying to save the owners some money and still be able to so our advertising.

Now - 9 months later - I have my own business! Just something I do on the side, but I'm doing it!

I got my PCut and within an hour I knew that the USB cable was not going to work so I hooked up the Serial cable and have not looked back since.

Some people wonder into this with dollar signs in their eyes and when the first thing goes wrong they want someone to blame - LOOK IN THE MIRROR!!!!

I'm done - everyone have a great day! 

"To my amazement on how many people jump into vinyl cutting and design and have no idea what they are doing.  No idea how to use the software, no idea how to operate the cutter, no idea how to set it up, I had a few problems and corrected most of them myself.

Yep, amazing, unless they are willing to learn (without the "woah-is-me, nobody told me I had to actually learn something and work at it")

I am a newbie, too.  But, I took the time to read the forums before I bought.  I also downloaded SignBlazer Elements before I even bought my cutter.  I was reading about all the trouble with setups (USB, etc.) before my cutter showed up.  Now, granted, I am sure that some people receive lemons and that can't be helped.  You kind of have to know what you are getting into before you make that cash outlay.

Patty T

One wise lady !

Kind of makes up for the winers we occasionally hear from.

Regis

Aw Regis!  You are too nice  :thumbsup:  .  Too bad my boss doesn't feel the same!!!

You guys are all so good to us rookies! 

To my amazement on how many people jump into vinyl cutting and design and have no idea what they are doing.

No idea how to use the software, no idea how to operate the cutter, no idea how to set it up, I had a few problems and corrected most of them myself.

But ********I didn't want to box it up and sent it back.

I have cad and programing experience, and operate  2 CNC machines for a large trade show company.

I cut 3-D letters from sign foam, blast foam, Plexiglas and also all forms of wood and plastic.

But my biggest amazement is how someone could buy a cutter with no experience at all, and land a job that will pay for the cutter in 2 jobs.

I advertise post on many sites offer my work half of what I should charge for it, give free estimates and get no work.

Maybe I need to raise my prices!

I know people want to learn something new and want to make some extra money, and SO DO I.

BUT for the new guy or girl at least investigate what you are about to get into. Don't blame the cutter or the software or the company you bought it from.

The one I have works just fine.

Just blame yourself!

I dont know what noobs you are talking about but you yourself are a noob if you cant sell yourself to the common public. The way I see it is you are a noob to running your own business and may want to ask someone in the forum for some advice on how to start your own business. Everyone has a reason for joining a forum, some to perfect there skills, some to sell there services, some to learn about the trade and then there are some who just need all around advice to better themselves.

I have been in this business for along time and I still learn to this day. Everyone has to start from a point and if this is the starting point then they are one ahead of where I started from. I welcome all noobs and will always have an open door for them no matter what and I would believe that you being as well rounded as you claim should subject the same service.

(Just my stong thought!)

Boe

Xpress Signs & Graphics

Well stated Charlie and Boe, the day I quit learning is the day I leave this earth. We all get frustrated at some point whether it is the machines or the graphic software. I'm thankful for the forums that there are people, at times lifelines, willing to help over the inevitable hurdles. 

I looks like a few people agree with me and a few don't!

The guy a few posts ago bitching about the cutter he bought, and wanted to send it back.

Things didn't go his way, it didn't work out of the box.(PLUG AND PLAY)

I will find the post, copy it and re-post it.

I have no problems with someone wanting to learn a new trade or hobby, I myself is up for that.

But I try I don't bitch!

I just have a problem with someone thinking you can just plug it in and cut!

As for comment about the the vinyl business I have more then 5 business in the area that also sell vinyl.

I do my vinyl as a hobby not as a full time job.

I just don't understand how someone can take on a job and have no idea what they are doing. (I guess thats the game of chance) (I don't play that game)

I do work for a large trade show company and have the experience.

And yes I am a new-be, to this forum page if that comment  was directed to me!

I looks like a few people agree with me and a few don't!

The guy a few posts ago bitching about the cutter he bought, and wanted to send it back.

Things didn't go his way, it didn't work out of the box.(PLUG AND PLAY)

I will find the post, copy it and re-post it.

I have no problems with someone wanting to learn a new trade or hobby, I myself is up for that.

But I try I don't bitch!

I just have a problem with someone thinking you can just plug it in and cut!

As for comment about the the vinyl business I have more then 5 business in the area that also sell vinyl.

I do my vinyl as a hobby not as a full time job.

I just don't understand how someone can take on a job and have no idea what they are doing. (I guess thats the game of chance) (I don't play that game)

I do work for a large trade show company and have the experience.

And yes I am a new-be, to this forum page if that comment  was directed to me!

I know why you posted,and who you meant. That 'one guy' was just expecting to plug it in and go,like a $40 printer from Walmart.When it didn't, he wanted Ken (not us,mind you) to hold his hand and do the hard part for him.

In that case, I agree with you 100%.

If you aren't willing to learn how to use it,don't buy a cutter. If you don't have any patience.don't buy a cutter. If you are too good to ask for help,don't buy a cutter. If you think learning the software is 'wasting your time' (that's what the guy in question implied)...don't buy a cutter.

When I bought my first cutter,there were no forums...no instructions other than how to plug it in...nobody would tell me squatt. I figured it out,a total newbee. I have patience. I don't expect people to do my work for me.

My original reasons for buying a cutter was to sticker up my race car and have a few stickers for the car club rather than paying some guy a huge amount of cash for em.  I now do things on the side apart from my normal job, and people like what I do.  Gives me a warm feeling in my nether region  :thumbsup:

Oh - here's a kicker for you guys.  My ebay bought cutter came with what looked to be chinese instructions.  After 10 minutes of trying to get the USB to work, I just switched over to serial and havn't stopped since.  ;)  Serial rocks.

When I bought my first cutter,there were no forums...no instructions other than how to plug it in...nobody would tell me squatt. I figured it out,a total newbee. I have patience. I don't expect people to do my work for me.

Same here...i got my Roland SX 15 8 years ago..and all i got from sign shops was intimidation..."if you want a cutting program, it will be $800"..."if you want vinyl, it will be $200 a roll"...No one really willing to help me with what to do.  One signshop told me to learn Adobe Illustrator.  It was AI 9 at the time.  So i played with it a bit till i got it right.  When i went to college, I took a few AI classes which made it EASIER for me to work on.  So now, i teach it to people who need the help.  I don't expect everyone to get a $70K education, but if i can help someone with what they need to do...i gladly do so.

Same here...i got my Roland SX 15 8 years ago..and all i got from sign shops was intimidation..."if you want a cutting program, it will be $800"..."if you want vinyl, it will be $200 a roll"...No one really willing to help me with what to do.  One signshop told me to learn Adobe Illustrator.  It was AI 9 at the time.  So i played with it a bit till i got it right.  When i went to college, I took a few AI classes which made it EASIER for me to work on.  So now, i teach it to people who need the help.  I don't expect everyone to get a $70K education, but if i can help someone with what they need to do...i gladly do so.

Kudos Charlie!  In this day and age, most people realize that knowledge is power; unfortunately, most also try to hoard the knowledge and prefer to let everyone else suffer in darkness. I commend you for your willingness to share what you have with other. There can never be enough Aloha in the world!!  :thumbsup:

Aren't or weren't we all newbies at some point in time? :thumbsup:

Abso-smurfly. I consider myself a perpetual newbie  ;)

Aren't or weren't we all newbies at some point in time? :thumbsup:

Abso-smurfly. I consider myself a perpetual newbie  :)

" how much further Papa Smurf ? ' . My family still uses that line from the Smurfs . Hmmm , I'm gonna start thinking about applying those personalities to some members on here ... BOY Grouchy Smurf "might" get alot of application ;);D ;D ;D

Rodger