haumana

separate computer for cutter?

I just wanted to know how many of you out there use a different/separate computer to do your cutting.

I am currently using an older laptop, but I always end up downloading and prepping my graphics on a different computer. It's a small pain in the butt transferring my images back and forth, then I end up wondering if I have duplicate images, etc.

I do...one for each cutter...also one for music and podcasts...one for burning... They are cheap these days.

I am doing the same as you are. Lap top is great for designing on the go. I like the PC for printing and designing at home as it is faster.

I do but not really by choice, to many vista issues with the cutter and the software. I do the design work on the new laptop and the cutting on an older pc running xp

Yes, I have a Dell SC430 "server" as my cutter and emailing box.  I have a much more high end custom machine I made myself which does everything else.  :D

Guest fivestar

I use the same machine at the store to design and cut, but I also do alot of designing here at home and obviously that's a different machine, so I just design here and email them to myself at the store.

Just got a new laptop with Vista, so I was considering making my old laptop dedicated to cutting only since it has XP.

As far as images... just buy a external hard drive, and save everything to that, then there's no issue with duplicated images/designs.

Haumana, does the older 'puter or PC you do your designs on not work with the design and cutting programs?  Or is there not enough memory on there or something?

I've only got a simple cutter so everything is being done form my laptop.  Hopefully i'll be picking up AI or something better than the free stuff that will work better, but also allow me to do more/better designs.  At that point, I may start to use up alot more space than I want to take away form my laptop, so I might wander over to the PC to start doing everything.

Whichever I end up using, we needed more room on our PC which is getting older & slower anyways.  Our local Costco had the WD external hardrives (MyBooks I think they call it) for a pretty decent price, but with a rebate.  currently I used to pull off un-necassary stuff from the PC and this has helped it some.  I'll hopefully have some time to do this to the laptop, then start working on the PC afterwards :D

My laptop does everything for me... as if i have a choice... :D

Haumana, does the older 'puter or PC you do your designs on not work with the design and cutting programs?  Or is there not enough memory on there or something?

My Frankenstein box has plenty of power, memory and storage. The cutter just wasn't conveniently located near it, so I had to work my cutting setup with a laptop.

You just missed out on a decent sale that Best Buy had last week - Maxtor External 320 GB (2.5") for $115. I was on the fence between WD and Maxtor (I actually prefer LaCie), but it came down warranty - WD only offered 1-year, and the Maxtor was 5-years. I don't use my external hard drives too often, but if I used them as much as the stuff in Frankenstien then I could definitely kill the hard drive within the 5 years  :D

I have a seperate computer for the cutter.  But I still want an external hard drive, just don't have the extra right now.

Guest sciondrgn

One for the cutter and for as my main pc then a laptop for when on the go

I have a seperate PC for my cutter but they are networked so I don't have to move graphics from one to another. I save them all to my cutter machine. Got a 250 GB portable hard drive that I just use to back up my data. $69 at costco and came with backup software.

I have a seperate PC for my cutter but they are networked so I don't have to move graphics from one to another.

Hmmm... now I have a newb computer question... going to go start a new thread though, so I don't hijack this one.  :D

I have a seperate PC for my cutter but they are networked so I don't have to move graphics from one to another.

Hmmm... now I have a newb computer question... going to go start a new thread though, so I don't hijack this one.  :D

wouldn't be the first time :P

wouldn't be the first time :P

Dance.gif

I can and do Design from two differrent computers. Both my cutters are networked.

Jon

Damn Mrs. B... you're on a roll today with lots of HATE!

FatDad, no need to encourage the little devil!  :D

Damn Mrs. B... you're on a roll today with lots of HATE!

FatDad, no need to encourage the little devil!  :D

popcorn.gif  popcorn.gif  popcorn.gif

I just wanted to know how many of you out there use a different/separate computer to do your cutting.

I am currently using an older laptop, but I always end up downloading and prepping my graphics on a different computer. It's a small pain in the butt transferring my images back and forth, then I end up wondering if I have duplicate images, etc.

I have a tower that is sitting in the both with my solvent printer and is ran by my workstation. The reason for this set up is due to the vapors that the printer releases during operation. I have built a server to store all graphic files that is accessed from any of my graphics work stations. I have found threw the years that keeping my files on the server will keep them from being lost during a fatal work station crash. I do not recommend wireless for the simple reason that hackers love them, I always hard line all my pc's.....      ( Just my thought )

Main computer for design with external hard drive and separate tower for cutting with both the pcut and refine.  Haven't got around to getting the Encad printer going yet but will probably use the cutting computer.

Tower with twin 17" monitors, 2.4GHz CPU and 3GB ram for cutting.

HP Pavilion dv9000 2.0GHz CPU, 4GB RAM for designing.

Both running SBE.

Both running SBE.

That just seems like overkill. You could most likely use a 286 with 12 megs of ram to run one of these cutters.

Both running SBE.

That just seems like overkill. You could most likely use a 286 with 12 megs of ram to run one of these cutters.

overkill totally. I ran SB for a year on a 1ghz with 256 mb ram.