Sign in to follow this  
3barefoot

Venting and Input

I'm needing to vent. My sister had a friend of her's call her wanting me to get in touch with her about making a sign for her. Let's just say the lady is named Lisa. Lisa has been using a lady that will letting her buy the stuff to make the signs and she would not charge Lisa to cut the vinyl. 

Long story short the lady takes to long for Lisa and she now wants to come to me for me to make all her signs and wall decals, BUT she still wants to buy everything and then me cut it. I do not like this idea nor do I want to waste my time in doing it, and I will NOT do it for free... Is that wrong of me?

I also make shirts with HTV and I prefer to get the shirts myself vs someone bringing their own.

Charge her like you would anyone else, no matter if you purchase the materials or they do or you become the "other" lady and work for free.

I could go on .... the only people I don't charge is my wife and my mom... the rest are paying customers.

IMHO customers never provide supplies for me - I control the supplies and quality.  if they want the cheapest way buy their own cutter - don't expect it for free.  now I am a little sleep deprived from the new grandchild being born this am and hope I am not coming off as "mean".

• Like 3

Thanks everyone. I didn't think I was in the wrong for not wanting to do it. I mean thats to much to go meet her to get her vinyl & transfer tape. Then coming back putting the saying into my system then cutting, weeding & applying the tape. It's all to much. 

I feel that is how we make our money is in the vinyl, tape, and our time. She is a nut!

Thanks everyone. I didn't think I was in the wrong for not wanting to do it. I mean thats to much to go meet her to get her vinyl & transfer tape. Then coming back putting the saying into my system then cutting, weeding & applying the tape. It's all to much. 

I feel that is how we make our money is in the vinyl, tape, and our time. She is a nut!

I liken it to doing shirts that someone else brings. What happens if you screw up the shirt? You have no value there to pull from to correct the mistake. If someone brings me shirts to apply I tell them I don't like to and here is why.....If I mess up your shirt it's your problem. They usually look at me funny and then I explain that by going around the process of me supplying a wholesale shirt (which often would actually save them money BTW) they remove any profit I could possibly make on the garment so thereby I have no money to work with to replace it if it gets messed up. Sometimes I just charge extra for the HTV in these cases but often the ones who bring things by are old clients who already know my HTV prices so it's just simpler to give the caveat. I have only messed up two shirts over 5 years so not a bad track record. One I was able to remove the HTV and cover up the area with an alternate design the other was a big enough client that I just ran to wally world and bought another $5 shirt and ate it rather than pee in my own cheerios. Sometime the bigger picture is more important. 

I would be nice as possible and just remind her cheap self that you have invested a lot of money, time and commitment to your cutter and business and it's just not worth turning it on for some freebie. I don't think that's being the least bit out of line. 

• Like 5

I would be nice as possible and just remind her cheap self that you have invested a lot of money, time and commitment to your cutter and business and it's just not worth turning it on for some freebie. I don't think that's being the least bit out of line. 

I know this said Lady very well. And I know what a pain in the tail she can be. As to why I don't want to even mess with her. I told my sister the day she called me that I didn't want to mess with it, but I called the girl anyway cause money is money. But when she told me the other vinyl lady had all her stuff and was doing it for free and she was going to give her another week to get her stuff done if not she was going to get it and get me to make it. I had my mind made up right then. 

Well yesterday she texted me and said the lady finished her sign but she didn't want to use her any more, she wanted me to make her a wall decal that says " Be`you` tiul" I still have not texted her back.

Just tell her that your timeline won't meet hers- you are a few weeks out. :)

Tell me if this sounded bad or mean lol..

I'm sorry it has took me so long to get back to you. I am booked like 3 weeks out with shirts. I'm sorry. But to give you a price would be hard beens my prices are set to my products. To throw a price out it would be at least $20.00.

• Like 1

I'm sorry it has took me so long to get back to you. I am booked like 3 weeks out with shirts. I'm sorry. But to give you a price would be hard beens my prices are set to my products. To throw a price out it would be at least $20.00.

Just be Honest. You'll be surprised sometimes, how a customer can come around, when you bitch slap em', with some facts. Of course, for some, there's no hope. I just bitch slapped one, a little while ago!

• Like 3

That's a great approach so she realizes you are in demand and she will need to plan to compensate your time. I would still push to supply the vinyl too. What kind of vinyl does she work with? Many of the crafters use some pretty crappy stuff. I had one try to get me to cut on a roll that had been rolled up about 1" roll without a tube and it just wasn't going to happen. I guess if they have a Cricuit they have that sticky mat and can hold it flat or something but it wasn't working for me so I told her I'd donate a scrap piece to her. 

Wait she wants you to do all this for FREE?

How exactly does that work?   No wonder the other lady takes so long.

No need to lie.   

Tell her exactly how it is.  It can only end up 1 of 2 ways.   You gain a customer willing to work with YOUR terms or she walks and trys to find another sucker.  

• Like 1

Wait she wants you to do all this for FREE?

How exactly does that work?   No wonder the other lady takes so long.

Yes. The other lady told her if she got the vinyl & transfer tape she would do it for FREE! Not sure if she thought I would do the same... BUT she is dead WRONG!!!

No need to lie.   

Tell her exactly how it is.  It can only end up 1 of 2 ways.   You gain a customer willing to work with YOUR terms or she walks and trys to find another sucker.  

I'm pretty sure I will not gain her as a customer which is just fine with me!!!

• Like 3