gcextreme

Under Armors Band of Ballers shirt..

What are your guys thoughts on UA's shirt mimicking the IowJima flag rasing, using guys raising a basket ball hoop?

I think it bluntly disrespectful...

051715_ff_shirt_640.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

GC if YOU think it's disrespectful it MUST be WAY off the chart! BWAAHAAHAA! Just kidding man. In all seriousness it does seem to be treading on sacred ground IMO. 

• Like 2

Well i come from a heavy military family.

My grandpa and his brother landed on the beaches of Normandy in WW2.

My uncle served in Vietnam, my dad served in the 1st Gulf War, my brother Mike is in the marines (16 years) with numerous tours over in the middle east.

So them mocking such a symbol with a basketball hoop is just distasteful.

• Like 4

I'm the odd ball here. 

I'm about 30% in aggreement.

To me it's some kids raising a basketball hoop.   When I was growing up we couldn't leave our hoop up because of HOA rules. Basically went through this scene everyday after school. 

I really am the oddball on here - also not former military but most respect to all of them - I took it as playful on their part and not disrespectful.   I lost an uncle on the indianapolis and Dad served int he air force, many great uncles served in WWII.   but different people will always interpret images different ways.   a older person from the south will interpret the confederate flag much differently than a young person that grew up with the only image being portrayed on the general lee.   depending on who you are will affect how you see things differently than others.  peace out vinyl brethren. 

• Like 1

at the very least some young people might ask about the image and learn something new . . . kinda brings history back into the conversation for new generations

If younger generations arent learning about our history and ww2 and etc, then may God help us all...

This should be taught in every American And World History class in gradeschool.

• Like 4

I am not offended by this as others stated. Seems playful but YES I can see how this is skating on thin ice. Now if someone wants to burn and stomp on our Stars and Stripes....start packing cause you don't belong here. 

• Like 1

I'm sure they didn't mean it disrespectful, but some will think it is. I think they're taking such an iconic image of American history and putting it in a marketing scheme. Everyone has an opinion, but it is a little distasteful to me.

like I said I respect the opinions of those that served and understand their point of view - I just cant help but look at it and think it is a bunch of kids working toward a common goal.  wish more adults could do that.  put aside their differences and work to make the world a better place instead of fighting and getting nothing accomplished.

• Like 1

If you want the younger generation to ask about it you better attach it to an Xbox controller....lo

Any gaming controller, cell phone, tablet or mobile device.

Some things, you just have to let go on by. Kinda disrespectful, Yeah, but there's sooo much worse out there. One would think, UA would know better. Nothing like a little email, to let 'em know how ya feel.

If younger generations arent learning about our history and ww2 and etc, then may God help us all... This should be taught in every American And World History class in gradeschool.

Unfortunately, it's not taught.

They spend more time on preparing for state tests, than being taught real information.

Most kids couldn't tell you what that is from or where it was.

The thing to remember with creativity, is that it is open to interpretation. 

While one will see one thing, another will see something entirely different.

I would suspect that a younger person who had no understanding of its meaning may have made that image and had no idea it would create any controversy.

It's interesting that it has caused an uproar. And only because the internet spreads things like wildfire.

If you found it offensive, then here is a list of other "parodies" of that image that you might find offensive.

Were the companies that produced those boycotted or blasted because the images were offensive? No.

And then there is the question.......As someone who produces products with images, has there never been one that you didn't look at and ask yourself, "is this one pushing it?"

We've become a nation so bent on being politically correct, that we will sacrifice any creativity because someone might find it offensive. 

I agree, it is slightly offensive on Under Armour's part. We do live in a shock and awe advertising world these days.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the original US flag that was raised on Iwo Jima taken down and a new one raised just so the government could get some pictures and film footage of the flag raising for advertising purposes?

I agree, it is slightly offensive on Under Armour's part. We do live in a shock and awe advertising world these days.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the original US flag that was raised on Iwo Jima taken down and a new one raised just so the government could get some pictures and film footage of the flag raising for advertising purposes?

interesting - had to look it up and that was the second flag raising we are so used to seeing . .  .

I agree with Dakota & Dirtrocker

All the militant people think it’s disrespectful. I don’t. It’s just basketball. That’s the problem with the world. Everyone gets so offended about everything. They aren’t making a mockery, they aren’t making fun, they aren’t saying ”haha we can do it too.”, they aren’t stomping on the American flag. I think it’s fine. I play video games…and one game had a nuke take out D.C. The white house was on fire, the background was all smokey and flames everywhere. I’m not all…”Oh man this developer is being disrespectful towards Washington.” It’s just a game. It’s just kids playing basketball.

LOVE.

Sorry, I just think it's in poor taste. EVERYTHING seems to be fair game these days and if there is something that is worth honoring it's our soldiers so I guess I'm disappointed a little although I also see the symbolic representation of a bunch of street ball players raising the "flag" in what is nearly a war once it gets going. What's next though, you gonna put a reebok flag on a coffin? Maybe you have to have some family members who have given their lives for the country to really decide there are things that just probably shouldn't be used to push a product. I am not one of those people who would get all upset and push to boycott their products or anything either.  

• Like 1

The comment, maybe you have to have family members who have given their lives for this country to know, is interesting to me.

My father, uncle, grandfather and many others in my family were career miitary, between the three, they served in WW1, WW2, korea and Viet Nam, serving at a time when Native Americans were met with some resistace in the military, that was quite a feat.

Several family members lost their lives along the way in those wars.

Some folks view imitating that image as a feat of accomplishment and imitating it is a way of celebration.

I guess I see things a little differently.