Sign in to follow this  
BannerJohn

My therapy or what I do to keep from going nuts

Those of you who know me well already know that in addition to my sign business, I am also full time care-giver to my 92 year old mom who has Alzheimer's.

To keep myself sane I have taken up a new hobby that hopefully will add some income to my SS when I start to draw in 18 months...wood turning. I bought a lathe a few months ago and just plunged right in...and it has worked wonders for me. Here are some pics of some of the things I have made.

post-242-0-44239100-1430364449_thumb.png

post-242-0-64517100-1430364482_thumb.png

post-242-0-95975000-1430364547_thumb.png

post-242-0-66290800-1430364579_thumb.png

• Like 9

anybody need any authentic cedar shavings, let me know. I have a crap load

It's a very relaxing hobby.  Prior to moving to Iowa, I made custom pens on my lathe - wood, fancy plastics and even synthetic stone.

post-24492-0-18031100-1430367024_thumb.p

You can find the kits available at most wood working stores - I used to get mine from the WoodCraft store just down the street from where I worked.

• Like 4

Yeah I have a pen mandrel on the way and already have a few kits waiting, and blanks. Don't know how my blind eye is gonna handle the small stuff but we shall see.

So why did you stop?

Wow very nice John.   That may pass the Banner making,   awesome work ...

The day I get my first SS check I will shut down my ebay store and and do no more signs.

Nice work guys!

I don't have the patience for woodwork.
If I screw up on metal, I can weld it, grind it down, smooth it out and put paint on it and no one knows the difference.
Wood isn't that forgiving. When I make a mistake with wood, it's like it puts a big sign that says, "He messed up, RIGHT HERE"

LOL!

• Like 1

John looks great I love wood working but never got into the lathe one day I will. When either I stop doing what I do or not having to replace some junk equipment I bought.

Nice work on the lath guys. My nephew does a lot of wood turning. It would be nice to have room for a lath.

AWESOME John :) !!! Seems like you picked it up FAST :) !!!! I can't see you having problems making money off that :) !!!

Can you make me some "custom" toothpicks ??

OWJones...BEAUTIFUL pens!!! What have you NOT done ;) ??!!!!

Nice work John.  What type of wood is that bowl mounted on the lathe in the first pics made from?

Years back my first big tool purchase was a lathe so that I could put a porch railing on our house.  My son also has a mini lathe that he turned pens and such on.  All kinds of wood, plastics and deer antlers.  He made a right smart bunch of money with it before he lost interest - that was in his teens.  If you need more pen kits contact me, we probably have a hundred or so still in the shop.

If you are not familiar with it, Wood magazine has an online forum with one section for turning.  I find it as useful a forum as this one.

Cal

post-47968-0-96269600-1430396839_thumb.j

post-47968-0-46025300-1430396849_thumb.j

• Like 1

Yeah I have a pen mandrel on the way and already have a few kits waiting, and blanks. Don't know how my blind eye is gonna handle the small stuff but we shall see.

So why did you stop?

I didn't have a lot of cash on hand when I moved (I was moving to help take care of my ailing father) and I sold some of my larger power tools to help pay for moving expenses.  Then I ended up getting into vinyl cutting (and everything else) and haven't felt the urge to go buy more tools.

There are pen-turning lathes that will automatically follow templates, several craft show vendors use those - you literally load up the wood, pop in a template and hit "go" and it turns a pen in a few minutes.  That enables them to sell their pens at a lower price for what is essentially the same as what used to take me 2-3 hours.   It's tough to sell $40 pens when the guy in the booth next to you is selling the same pen for $25-30.

Those look great. I have a lathe in storage. I moved and don't have the shop space that I used to. I have a bunch of the tools and even a water bath stone sharpener but not the time to use them at this point. Definitely about top of the list for fun things to mess around with wood though. I plan on spending more time with it when I retire.