gcextreme

is this worth buying?

Here at work they are selling this printer they used to print out cad blueprints for our packing machines.

Its going on the auction lot. They say they cant get a driver for it or something.

i am guessing it wont print on vinyl tho.

20141015_171622_zps5eghfy3w.jpg

20141015_171627_zpsxh6dmrot.jpg

Posters and stuff like that. It has value I almost bought one similar to that but it came along at the same time I was closing on the store.

Dinosaur.

I compare these things to the Photo Minilabs that processed 35mm films.

Obsolete technology that you don't want to mess with.

• Like 1

I get asked quite a bit about printing posters to go with family reunion shirts. But yeah they are older.as for value take a look on ebay I bet they are still bringing some money.

used to have a 755cm in the GIS shop - way out of date, and low dpi print technology.  let it fade into the past

We have one at work, I doubt you can print on vinyl with it, ours is paper only. 

Staples.com sells the ink cartridges - at $160+ per color, so keep that in mind!

Checked the HP site and found this acceptable media list

Media types

• HP bright white Inkjet paper

• HP translucent bond

• HP vellum

• HP natural tracing paper

• HP clear film

• HP matte film

• HP heavyweight coated paper

Found the drivers here    http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/public/psi/swdHome/?cc=us&cc=us〈=en〈=en&sp4ts.oid=12609&ac.admitted=1413465230730.876444892.199480143

Nothing above XP pro though

Here are the manuals      http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/manualCategory?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=59559

I'd say if it has been sitting long that it's possibly going to need print heads and a good cleaning.

Guy at work says it has self cleaning heads and doesnt matter how long its been sitting it will work.

Why get involved with it, unless it self-cleans your house and does the laundry & ironing, too.

• Like 1

Guy at work says it has self cleaning heads and doesnt matter how long its been sitting it will work.

then just buy it and find a use for it - great cloths hanger for when the treadmill gets full - 600 dpi you can make some cheap posters.  if you want it buy it - you have lots of room right?

Self cleaning would be if it's been always powered on. If it's been sitting wither unplugged or turned off they can and do clog. Lol Scott the cheap poster is why I was looking at one.

No i really currently dont have room for it...but i thought if i could score it for like $50 it be worth it.

Right now HP has some cash rebate offers on older printers

toward new equipment purchases.....

don't know if this model would be included.

They are offering $1000 for my HP5500 on a trade-in.

I told them I have $1000 worth of supplies to 

consider also...see if they make a counter offer.

But it might be worth a look if YOU are in the market.

Sue2

Im in the market for anything i can make money off of. Even if its buying this for $50 and reselling for more then that.

But it seems as this is just a dinosaur and isnt worth it.

The IT guy said they stopped using this in February when they bought a new one cuz they couldnt get drivers for this one...thats all he told me.

So basically if i can score this for $50 on the silent auction i can sell it or part it out and make some money.

I dont see alot of coworkers that would really bid on it honestly. So i might get it cheap.

• Like 2

So basically if i can score this for $50 on the silent auction i can sell it or part it out and make some money. I dont see alot of coworkers that would really bid on it honestly. So i might get it cheap.

That's what I would do.

same here - you will do well - there are enough uninformed people out there that will snap up a "wide format printer" that don't have a clue.  or someone that actually needs a printer that prints at 600dpi  for blue prints or something.  heck back 20 years ago that was big news in GIS - now you couldn't use it for that -- not high enough resolution

Well i missed out on this printer....yesterday went to one of my coworker/friends house for a movie night, found out he bought this printer for $25 on the auction.

He dug into it, and the print head was junk, BUT, it was under WARRANTY, he got a BRAND NEW ONE for free! He now has it up and running and did posters for his in-laws lake resort.