Sign in to follow this  
nismo221

SC or Laserpoint ii??

Hi I'm new and looking to start up making mainly decals for cars. I am looking at getting either a SC 34" or a Laserpoint ii 31.5". I will be using Adobe illustrator as my design software. My main question is about the "max cutting length". From what I understand this is pretty much the amount of memory the cutter has, let me know if I'm wrong. The SC is listed a 144" and the Laserpoint has 180". Now most decals I plan on making are only going to be around 5"x10" stickers. But some of them will be pretty detailed, like dripping text and gun outlines. So the question is with all the detail would I risk running longer cuts then what the SC can handle. Examples of some things and what their cutting length is would help. Thanks ;D

The max length is also.about the tracking of the machine not just memory. I have a lp2 and it never had a memory issue with me and I used the snot out of it before I got my graphtec. I can remember doing a 2 foot X 6 foot menu board 99% covered in 1/2 8 inch high text and it handled that fine.

• Like 2

LPII, and for sure get the media catch basket ($15)  ---  and run it through SignBlazerElements or even better yet, Flexi.

• Like 1

Wish I could afford Flexi right now. But I already have a copy of Illustrator and it will import into sure cuts alot, so it will have to do for now. Thanks for the info!

Would the Laserpoint ii be able to cut with enough detail to cut out the sticker I posted in my Sticker album?

Assult Life Sticker

Would the Laserpoint ii be able to cut with enough detail to cut out the sticker I posted in my Sticker album?

depends on the size - 24" no problem - 4" wide - tough one

• Like 1

look to make it about 5"x10"

can be done but will have to be really dialed in good and a 60 degree cleancut blade on top of that.  will be a good way for you to learn to tune that plotter in really well

• Like 1

It can cut Arial under 1/8" high but you need to be one with your machine and even then it's hit or miss. If you want to go really small think graphtec or Roland to help maintain your sanity

• Like 1

It can cut Arial under 1/8" high but you need to be one with your machine and even then it's hit or miss. If you want to go really small think graphtec or Roland to help maintain your sanity

I was looking at the fine lines like the gas port, under the A and the fine lines on the mount on top - will have to be really dialed in at that size.  we have seen people do it  with that machine but not too many new bies

Thanks for the info. I believe I'm going to give the LaserPoint a shot. That sticker would be probably the most detailed piece I would need and it is not what I will start off cutting. Would love to have a Graphtec but at this moment the Laserpoint 31.5" is about as high as my budget can go. Should have my Laserpoint ordered sometime next week. I will try to do a write up from out the box all the way through the first few cuts from a newbies point of view.

You will probably find that you change your designs a little to make things work out and the minutiae details go away with no one even noticing. 

• Like 1

Just remember the golden rule. The less you pay the more patients you need to achieve the desired result. I had the LP2 cutting within 30 minutes out of the box but I also have experience with cutters so it would be hard for me to gauge the time required for someone just starting out. And like stated above some of the really little stuff will probably need to be altered slightly simply because even when it cuts it won't be enough to show in the finished product.

• Like 1

if youre only going 5x10 the most then why not try for a 15" graphtec and surecut blade. I just got a graphtec ce 5000 for cheap and have a laserpoint 1 and talk about the difference and smooth cuts, not to mention servo motor. I use to love my laserpoint 1 24" but now its for sale. my next puppy will be the ce 6000-60.

I sold my lp 1 right after I got my c e 5000-60 too. Just didn't want to use it anymore.

• Like 2

I'm beginning to have the same thoughts about my TC.

Was going to hang on to it for a spare but now, Having gotten

used to the CE 5000, cant imagine being satisfied with less.

Oh, and from what I've read, I'd go with the Laserpoint over the SC.

Used Laserpoint 1... even better.

• Like 2

I sold my lp 1 right after I got my c e 5000-60 too. Just didn't want to use it anymore.

How much you sell it for Im selling mines and saw one on cl for $425.

I'm beginning to have the same thoughts about my TC.

Was going to hang on to it for a spare but now, Having gotten

used to the CE 5000, cant imagine being satisfied with less.

Oh, and from what I've read, I'd go with the Laserpoint over the SC.

Used Laserpoint 1... even better.

Yes I'm the same way. My MH hasn't been touched since I've gotten my graphtec.(Best purchase ever) I'm so spoiled now I don't even think I'd remember how to use it.

I need to put it up for sell. The only problem is I could only get it to work with flexible starter and I don't want to sell that also.

• Like 1

Yes I'm the same way. My MH hasn't been touched since I've gotten my graphtec.(Best purchase ever) I'm so spoiled now I don't even think I'd remember how to use it. I need to put it up for sell. The only problem is I could only get it to work with flexible starter and I don't want to sell that also.

demonstrate it with whatever when they pick up (or take a video of it working before packaging) and sell it with a link to signblazer download so they have software - keep the flexi starter

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="djque" data-cid="364724" data-time="1405185676"><p>

How much you sell it for Im selling mines and saw one on cl for $425.</p></blockquote>

I think I got a couple hundred off a forum member for mine but can't remember exactly. Was just wasting space at my store