Sign in to follow this  
joker

Applying to Coroplast

Okay so i am doing my first coroplast signs for a lady. They are simple with just a couple words on them as well as one sided. I did the first one and dang gone the air bubbles. So  my question is is there some tricks to applying vinyl to coroplast. I have messaged a couple of you. Did my second one and still had a few air bubbles but not as bad as the first. Will the sun take these away. I did poke a few of them.. Any suggestions will be helpful. Never applied to this stuff before...

I had some where they magically worked themselves out I believe its cause of the heat from the sun. I don't do many so someone else may have to chime in. However If you want to do a test use a hair dryer and heat it up see if they go away.

Thanks Madhatter i have read that the sun will take them out.. By the way Madhatter welcome back..  Sorry did not mention that earlier than now

Do them parallel to the flutes. It they are 18 x 24, I would do them dry with a Big Squeegee.

• Like 2

make sure the surface is clean and lint free, then I just apply a slight mist of fluid.... 

I've about had it with coroplast!! looks so simple in vids online but I can't get it right. I made a few for practice applying them the same as I do on a vehicle. Dry using 651 and the hinge method with a small squeegee. They turned out ok but had several bubbles and lining everything up is a pain. I am taping down the coro so it doesn't move and running parallel to the flutes. WTH is the trick?

I just got my Big Squeegee cut vinyl tool thinkin that was the ticket but the first sign wouldn't release from the R tape 4050 and the second is full of bubbles!!! Should I be using a different app tape for this?

There is a good demand for these in my area and I really want to master this but my patience is running thin.

Express2100 it takes a little practice. Hinge method is great. Try a little soapy water on them. That will eliminate the static. If you do have some air bubbles do not stress most will come out after being in the sun. I use the paper style tape with mine. Squeegie in the direcytion of the flutes.

Ok I clean the substrate with rapid tac 2. Can I just use this as a "wet" app fluid? And with the wet app how long do I have to move the graphic around for alignment before it tacks up?

...... I would much rather stick with a dry app but I'll give wet a try I guess.

I clean with 50/50 solution of rubbing alcohol and water. I use the vertical center hinge method and use paper tape. Dry. No problems here.

• Like 1

Two more votes for dry! That's what I like to hear. :) Really don't want fluid all over the place. I did a 15"x19" on a 18"x24" coro last night and set it in the shop where it would get direct sunlight most of the day. We'll see if any of those pesky bubbles came out when I get home.

i have only done a couple what i found worked best for me was clean with alcohol apply dry with paper tape and then i wet the paper tape well it was still on there and let it set for 2 mins or so then pulled the transfer tape off. I use a medium tack tape for almost everything including coroplast and wetting the back of the tape before removal seems to lessen the tack even more therefore less to pull back on the applied vinyl and less or no bubbles

I have never done coro wet.  I don't think I would even consider it for letters.  Now if I were doing a giant square or something solid like that,,, I might be tempted.

here is how I do it and I have excellent results:

1. position my graphic on the sign right where I want it.

2. I fold the backing paper down 1" along one of the edges exposing the transfer tape (opposite of the direction of the fluting so that I can squeegee with the fluting)

2a.  at this point your transfer tape should be holding your vinyl in place on the coro via that 1" edge you just made.

3. I put my big squeegee on the end that I rolled the tape back on and slowly push down the vinyl transfering it onto the coro.  

3a. I reach around the side for the first couple of inches that I'm pushing the squeegee and make sure that the backing paper is sliding off (out) properly.  Once it goes a few inches, I center myself on the squeegee and push to the end.  

Most important thing I can think of with this approach is to have something at the other end of your coro to keep it from sliding away while you squeegee it on.  I have had very, very good results with this method.

edit:  I use 4075 RLA paper tape for coro applications.  And didn't know about the dryer sheet trick, so I haven't tried that yet.

• Like 1

here is a video that I watched to figure out my process -

Note:  You do not need the big squeegee pictured here.  If you have one, or have the money to buy it... fine.  If not, you can make one with a board and some velcro.  (the soft part not the scratchy part)

i apply dry and spray the tape to release from the vinyl, give it a min to soak and crinkle, easy release - no bubbles.

• Like 1

Thanks ShowAndGo! I've watched pretty much every vid related to the big squeegee and coro signs. That's the frustrating part! Also I have been crazy busy working on my house and haven't had the time to dedicate to my vinyl. I believe with some more practice and a stop jig on my table I will eventually get it.

You'll get it.  Just make sure you have a big squeegee of some variety and go slow.  My biggest problem is getting too geeked out when I do something new and rush through it.  

Coro is cheap make a few practice ones and you'll have it down.  Slow and steady wins the race.