TheKid

Daughters birthday present

Kids when grown are hard to buy for. I'm tired of giving momey.. They're not.. Hahaha. So I decided to make something for them and this is what I came up with. She and my son-in-law have the same birthdate so my gift was fitting.

post-84570-0-18240600-1394517953_thumb.j

• Like 6

Yes very nice! I definitely want to attempt this when I get my cutter. Is it difficult process. How does it compare to the photo?

Good job! Can't put a price on something from the heart. My daughter in law would have it at the flea market next week.

This is the photo I made it from. So you be the judge. A lot of node editing went into it. The hardest part was weeding around the glasses. The cheap vinyl I was using kept lifting off and had the take a knife tip to place it back where it belonged.

post-84570-0-52481700-1394584095_thumb.j

Thanks express. I did a lot of research and reading on how to play with my photo editing software to massage the picture before importing into Inkscape and finally into SCALpro. My first attempt was a total disaster. After you create the SVG file in Inkscape you then must UNGROUP the scan. There are multi layers visible and you need to delete down to one usable layer. First attempt I forgot to remove all the other layers and the cutter went over the cut about seven times before I realized what I did.

Next I need to know what the best vinyl to use for this purpose. The cheap stuff I bought to learn with off eBay is a B!tch to weed. I get a good cut but the vinyl seems to not want to separate with pulling something with it. Thanks for your comments and thank the rest  of you for your comments.. -kid

kid now reverse weed it and etch it onto the back

of the glass

Dang, wish they would upgrade their software so IE11 will quote. Cannot cut and paste either.. I'm not doing firefox, so don't mention it.

Dakota:  don't know exactly what your talking stuff they don't need.

rlvied:  I know nothing about etching, but it does strike my interest. I should have mirrored the image and put in one the back of a single piece of glass, but since I didn't I bought a cheap 8X10 and used the glass to sandwich the vinyl between two pieces which gives it floating effect. I'm working on one of my grandson and using what I learned from mistakes I made in this one.

just saying many times people buy stuff just to get stuff and the personal touch is so much nicer.

There is a flea market north of Nashville and they have some of the most unique craftsman there making beautiful crafts that are one of a kind. Those are the gifts I hunt for. I had rather contribute to local venders work than buy Chinese knockoffs anyday. If you where to enlarge the first picture you will see my initials and the year kind of hidden on the graphic. I'm about ready to finish up another graphic project where I duplicated decals for a rare Yamaha two point hitch pull behind yard mower. This vinyl cutter has been loads of fun and very satisfying with the end product. -kid

• Like 2

Kid, that graphic is awesome, nice job

I might have to steal your idea!

Really nice work.

Kid, that graphic is awesome, nice job

I might have to steal your idea!

Really nice work.

I take that as a compliment. Thank you. You know, one could setup a mini photo booth and do this at a flea market. I think they would sell well. I'm using 12" vinyl with a small cutter so it would be feasible to turnkey and let the customer buy there own frame. What would something like that be worth?

I think something like this would sell better at an arts and crafts show or at least that type of venue, and if you did do them on the spot and include a frame i can see my wife buying one for $20-$30 dollars.

It looks really good.  I was at Dollar Tree the other day and some of the picture frames are really nice. If you hunt for them. The black matte frames would look really good.

I appreciate the tip but I wouldn't give a dollar frame to my daughter for her birthday. Hobby Lobby has some high quality frames you can catch for half price when on sale. I think my silhouette looks pretty good and deserves more than a dollar frame. Thanks

I think something like this would sell better at an arts and crafts show or at least that type of venue, and if you did do them on the spot and include a frame i can see my wife buying one for $20-$30 dollars.

Sorry. I forgot to use the quote button. My statement about the cheap frames was for selling them at arts and crafts fairs. I didn't mean to imply that you use that for your daughter's gift. I like when you can use the 40-50% off the frames at Hobby Lobby or Michael's. Their frames are quite nice.

Sorry. I forgot to use the quote button. My statement about the cheap frames was for selling them at arts and crafts fairs. I didn't mean to imply that you use that for your daughter's gift. I like when you can use the 40-50% off the frames at Hobby Lobby or Michael's. Their frames are quite nice.

What i've witnessed at flea market and craft fairs is the artist puts the best work on display. With that said, why use dollar frames to sell as an option. If I where to do as you mention I would sell the same Hobby Lobby or other discounted quality frames closer to retail as an option. I hear what your saying and the cheap frames could just be given away with the purchased picture so they have something to show when they get home or to just protect the finished product. -kid