blackpaws

Customer owes me money, funny how they disappear now

I did the dumbest of dumb things. I sent a customer her order without collecting her payment first. Now here we are 2 months later, she isn't responding to any emails or texts. The bill was for $200. The actual cost of materials I estimate around $125. So I'm out quite a bit of money, it sucks.

I never usually send orders without getting the money up front first, and I already learned my lesson, so please spare me the "you should have known better". Trust me, I already know. The reason I did this time was because this was the 4th time they ordered off of me. In the past they sent payment right away. Also, this person is a friend of a friend. My spouse knows her husband, I never met either of them. I still thought I could trust her.  After a few attempts at emailing and nothing, my spouse texted her husband. He said he'd ask his wife about it when he got home later, and that was that. My spouse texted him again a couple days later if he knows what's up, no response. 

The worst part is, the bill was originally $225. I felt like I was making too much money off them ( I don't know why) and wanted to give them a discount for being a repeat customer, so I made the bill for $200. No payment at all is how I get thanked for that.

I think my last resort will be to send a certified letter saying I will take them to small claims if they don't pay up. I'm not going to waste my time or money actually taking them to small claims, but I might be able to scare them into paying up. 

Lesson learned, don't EVER send orders out without being paid in full. Ever, ever, ever. No matter who it is, and no matter how many times they've dealt with you in the past. 

• Like 2

Why wait for starting the small-claims filing? Don't even bother sending a threatening letter --- Just process the court case and move ahead with it.

Who knows, you could end up on Judge Judy!!!

• Like 1

Remember if you take it to court you could get legal fees, lost time (for while you're at court) and possibly interest. I have 1 customer right now doing that to me and I think the certified letter is my next step followed by court. Funny thing is it's only for $40 and the legal fees and time lost @ $60 hr. will far exceed what they owe me. They spent $4700 with me last year and at times I had extended them $500 in credit but the fact they won't return my calls or emails has me pissed to the point that I want to make an example of them.

Haha. Your responses already make me feel better. I had to take an old roomate to small claims over 10 years ago. It was for $1200, I also had to pay about $230 to take the case to court.  I won the case, but I have yet to see a dime for any of it. Since they didn't voluntarily pay me, I guess I needed a lawyer to file paperwork to have it taken from their wages, but I had no clue where they lived or worked after the case, and any lawyer I talked to said it was pretty much a waste of time for them for "Only $1200". So being this is just for $200, my plan is to threaten them, hope for the best and if nothing then move on and lesson learned. 

Because this person was a friend of a friend, I did their stuff for dirt cheap too. I made their shirts using heat transfer vinyl. Their design was 2 colors on the front pocket area, and 2 colors on the back, full back print. The colors were never the same though. For a colored t-shirt I only charged $12!  They might not pay now, but they will end up spending more money in the future by going somewhere else and having to either pay more for the equivalent of what they got from me, or settle for less. 

• Like 1

Mine is with a business and I don't think she'll appreciate how I drag her through the mud especially on social media. She is a wedding planner and word travels fast among potential clients when you're not paying your vendors.

No, you should NOT threaten them with a letter. They will ignore it.

The serving of the lawsuit is sufficient to put them on notice that they need to settle with you immediately, or end up in front of the judge.

And honestly, if they aren't intending to pay you anyway, they'll probably not even show up on the court date and let there be a default judgement against them, and then, yes, you have to try to collect.

BTW, small claims cases in my jurisdiction are NOT $230 to file a $1200 claim.

I think it's more like $10 for the service of subpoena (mailed) by the Court Clerk and $28 case filing fee.

Well worth pursuing, especially if you have the details of your debtor.

don't feel bad we all do it from time to time - I have one hanging out there I shipped to a "friend" for about that same amount- I am sure it will get here eventually but kinda tight and makes it harder to bite the tongue

I hate no shows and non payments. Absolutely hate them. I have probably $600.00 worth of material (shirts, signs, banners, etc) from when we first started that I use for samples to show people our work....they all came about from no shows and non payments. The $600 was my cost, not the final price so actually the items add up to more lost money on my end. My wife handles all the money and payment arrangements and she now makes people pay up front and tells them that after XX days if they're not picked up it will become cleaning rags or whatever cleaver thing she can come up with lol. Sorry to hear about your $200, but on the bright side at least it wasn't $1000+ or something that would put you out of business. I wish you well in receiving your money.

In God we trust....All others pay CASH!

Sweet quote! I need to make this into a shop sign lol

If you're in business long enough somebody will get you eventually. A regular will call in an order and not pick it up or they'll be running late and ask you to leave it somewhere for them and they'll pay you next day. No matter how much we say we'll never do that in the end there are people you think you can trust and eventually one of them will get you.

• Like 2

The small amounts are not worth the hassle to try and collect. Here you actually pay a filing fee to start the letigation and a process serving fee and after you win you have to go after the money your self. I dont even bother for less then $500.00.

The laws are set up to protect the crooks and deadbeats even bad checks in our state are a pain to recover.

Carry a pair of scissors with you..and when u see them wearing the shirts...go up and cut the shirt...lol.

Good luck man.

• Like 1

Carry a pair of scissors with you..and when u see them wearing the shirts...go up and cut the shirt...lol. Good luck man.

I assume you're trying to be funny ---   what you propose is a criminal offense.

Why are people so concerned about filing a $200 lawsuit? Just do it.

I have never done the small claims court, the only time I got burned the folks filed bankruptcy on me.  But, if you go to court and get a judgment you should take the next step and record it at the clerk's office in the county they live in.  In Georgia, that would be the Clerk of Superior Court.  When you get it recorded it will then show up on their credit report.  Not a guarantee that you will get paid, but a better chance.  

Cal

I would just take the loss and never do that again.

Sure you lost money but learned a big lesson. Imo time being on forums, time spent contacting them, time spent off work and in court isnt worth $200. Having the last laugh isnt worth it. Take the high road on this one , that woman has to live with herself.

I assume you're trying to be funny ---   what you propose is a criminal offense.

Of course..

but theft is also a criminal offense..lol.

I dont think its the problem with filing a lawsuit its about the hassle and more loss of time.

In the end, between filing and being in the court room, you will be wasting more time, time you could have used to make more money.

I hae a few known friends, that owe me like $15-20 for some decals they wanted...and they have yet to pay.

but im not gonna hassle them over it. Next time they want something, i will just remind them they still owe me for the other stuff first.

Im not going to ruin our friendship over such a petty amount.

I also have a highschool\college best friend and roommate who owes me $200 for a back deposit when we shared a place and another $600 for when he got a divorce and came to live with me and my wife for a few months until he got things settled.

So $800 he still owes me...but we have been friends for over 15yrs. Im not going to let that ruin our friendship, but i wont borrow him any more money or such again.

I hope that when he gets settled and is more financially stable, later on he will repay me.

If he never does...im not gonna let it ruin everything...life goes on.

Also if you do a sign or decal for someone...and they never pay for it, week after week. And you go and remove the sign or decal, like from their store front window....isnt that a criminal offense too?

So if someone is wearing a shirt they didnt pay for....well u get the idea..:)

The small amounts are not worth the hassle to try and collect. Here you actually pay a filing fee to start the letigation and a process serving fee and after you win you have to go after the money your self. I dont even bother for less then $500.00. The laws are set up to protect the crooks and deadbeats even bad checks in our state are a pain to recover.

About the only things our sheriff's dept. is good for is going after bad checks. If they paid by check they'd be in jail already. I think I'll do the court papers and come fall when it's slow and I'm bored I can spend some time making their life miserable because to me it's stealing, same as if you came in and robbed me. I know it's petty and all that but it makes me feel better in the end.

• Like 1

Also if you do a sign or decal for someone...and they never pay for it, week after week. And you go and remove the sign or decal, like from their store front window....isnt that a criminal offense too?

I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV.  :ph34r:

However, it might (might) be considered trespassing in your example.

Misdemeanor.

Attack with a deadly weapon?

Felony. :police:

litigation for that small amount is just not fesiable. I dont know about other states but here the one filing the lawsuit pays a filing fee that can be added to the judgement if you win but collecting is another matter it just dont make sense to spend $300.00 in expenses and time to collect $200.00 and ripping thier head is illegal so you are usally screwed.

I agree with Dan that if you're doing the legal for the money it's not worth it but I do it for personal satisfaction just because they thought it was cool to stiff me.