Sign in to follow this  
tbonestickers

New to the Hobby

Hello All,

Just had my MH871 delivered a few weeks ago and finally had a bit of time to get it set up.  Looking forward to getting into it and making some decals.

First question is, I'm looking for a start-to-finish tutorial/video of taking an idea, getting it into Sure Cuts ALot Pro, cutting the decal, and then getting it onto transfer tape.

Second question is, I'm hoping to cut some Chevy bow ties for my truck so I can black out my emblems.  Any ideas on how I would start to figure out getting the dimensions correct on this?

Thank you all for your time and help.

Best,

Tbones

YouTube has many tutorials.

youtube.com/watch?v=Sy4zS8Ug6Tk

As for the emblems on your truck, they are probably not perfectly flat, so putting decals onto them will be tricky.

you could try and trace the emblems from your truck and scan them into your program. you could also just try measuring them and messing around with it until you get it just right. 

this can be a long and tedious process though. 

you could try and trace the emblems from your truck and scan them into your program. you could also just try measuring them and messing around with it until you get it just right. 

this can be a long and tedious process though. 

Tracing them or cutting a paper template to scan is the quickest way to go.

I don't know if you will find a start to finish video. Each step is it's own set of skills. Are you going to try and design with the SCALP program? Most people move on to something else for that part of the process. I would suggest Inkscape or SignBlazer. They are both free programs, SignBlazer has a link here on USCutter somewhere and Inkscape is an open source program. SCALP has a decent trace feature but most of the design options on that program don't compare with either of the other free options. 

Thank you all for the welcome and advice.  

Yes, the emblems are somewhat convex, but there are kits available.  Tracing and scanning seems like a good first start.  Might be able to make a rubbing of it like we did with leaves in kindergarten. haha

I played around with the machine this weekend and made my first creation -- decal for my truck.  Weeding is not a fun process, but I think I did ok for my first try.

For the emblems, Google Plasti-Dip and watch a you tube video.  Much easier than decals and you can pick up a can at Lowes.

I'm a bit of tuner enthusiast.  But NEVER use a screwdriver!  I've found a wood or plastic tooth pic works best.  Here's some pics of my car

Before:

IMAG0194_zpsbe1ff266.jpg

IMAG0193_zps50444660.jpg

After:

IMAG0212_zps25c77861.jpg

IMAG0211_zpsa43011b6.jpg

ok I'm officially old - the blacked out plastidip looks like the old emblems after the chrome wears off.   :-[

• Like 1

ok I'm officially old - the blacked out plastidip looks like the old emblems after the chrome wears off. :-[

When I started driving you chromed every thing you could. Of course all the bumpers , grille, mirrors etc was chromed throw on some chrome wheels and chrome baby moons. Then the top of the engine and you was ready to cruise.

• Like 1

Seriously would like to see a vehicle with nickel instead of chrome once, not quite as shiny and a warmer look. I think it could catch on

Hello and Welcome from Florida.

Impressed with the plastidip, it's the way to go if you want to black out the emblems.

Personally, I like my black and blue color scheme and I also like that I can always peel off the plasti-dip if I want.  And they make a ton of different colors you can purchase online.

tried custom deer hair wheels last year didn't like em - and in other areas custom is a sin ( the original owner of my mustang put "shelby" talbot mirrors on it  uggggg.   same mirrors as shelby used but its not a shelby!

post-2742-0-68269700-1389235957_thumb.jp

post-2742-0-86767700-1389235975_thumb.jp

tried custom deer hair wheels last year didn't like em -

LMAO! love it!

Should've kept the deer hair!  It would have stopped the vacuum effect on your wheels for better gas mileage!

Egobuster1:  I love the Black!!  The bike is awesome, did you dip your rims?  I think we need a car thread here!!!  To show off custom graphics and such and have help and how to's!  Moderators?  Please?

• Like 2

Just open a new topic in show your work. Maybe something like all things automotive. Just a thought.