Sign in to follow this  
DarronHicks

New from St.Louis!

I have been toying with the idea of buying a vinyl cutter for a year or so and will be making that leap very soon. I am an 18 year old who took graphics 4 years in high school. I had a teacher who taught me a ton about Printing, Design, and Sign Making even hand setting type for printing! I have a pretty curious mind which really helped me learn, by the end of high school I was running the offset printing press by myself and was allowed to break it down and clean it completely myself, which no other student was ever allowed to do (by that time the class had been offered at the school for 15 years)! I also did a lot of sign work for the school while I was there. I made exit signs, trip forms, window signs, stuff for the school plays, big banners, and a lot of other stuff but more on the print side. I know that offset printing doesn't really matter in the world of vinyl but wanted to give a little background information about myself! I look forward to hanging around on this forum and diving into this new venture.

Welcome from Baltimore.

Actually, with a good background in COMPOSITION, you'll do fine as a cut-vinyl sign maker.

Welcome from South Carolina. Always nice to have new members to share their knowledge.

I will probably end up asking quite a few questions. I know there is a fine line between what most divulge lol. Especially some of the ones who have been doing this for a long time, it used to be from my understand a pretty tight lipped group of people who ran print shops and sign shops hahaha. I look forward to being part of this forum!

I started in the print industry back in 1998 and ended up recently taking over possession of a print shop. I added a vinyl cutter a few months ago and haven't regretted it once. Your graphic design I knowledge will help out a lot. I just stuck with illustrator as I use it quite a bit on the print did of things. The great thing about being a printer is that a lot of your customers also will need signs.

I really wish I could get on at a print shop. I got good at it. My teacher was impressed that someone my age actually wanted to learn how the print business worked. I was decent with setting up forms and stuff. It usually took me 1 or 2 tries to make something how someone wanted it. Thanks for the responses thus far guys!

I am having a tough time deciding on if I want to buy a simple sublimation setup to do smaller stuff or if I want to go with the vinyl cutter to do signs/stickers. I have never done sublimation but it can not be that hard from what I've seen, in my honest opinion. A sublimation setup is going to be a little more costly to get started compared to a cutter I like the versatility of sublimation being able to do puzzles, flip flops, mousepads, and stuff but that can also be pretty a niche market and a tough sell. I believe I can sell most stuff eventually but I do like to make money ahaha. What are your opinions?

Think of it this way ---  there is a limited market for specialty products like a mousepad (do people even use them anymore, with optical mice it seems redundant) or a puzzle (?) or an imprinted coffee cup, and buyers can order direct from China for $12 or $14 (delivered)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/custom-personalized-coffee-cup-mug-picture-photo-logo-printed-good-gift-/251395557062

Signs, however, are a bit more hands-on (and require closer interaction with clients), and can fetch hundreds of $$$ for projects that you, with your background, won't have any difficulty producing with a vinyl cutter.

Several years ago I began making signs and right off the bat, from day one, I had stuff to work on.

(I recently sold the business for several thousand dollars, and I've got to admit that I miss going in to the store and playing around with SignBlazer and creating signs)