aaedward

Cutting Position with SCAL and us cutter

When cutting a design with SCAL and my US cutter SC on the screen my design is at the top of the page, but when you go to cut it (most of the time) the design is showing up in another location usually the middle or bottom of mat.  I have tried to also change the settings on my cutter so it cuts where I put it but that doesn't always seem to work either.  Any help would be appreciated.

On the cut screen do you have cut mode set to origin point?

Mine is set to origin. and is at bottom of layout also..minus numbers..only way it will cut. If I change to WYSIWYG , the cut head takes off to the far side of cutter and stops.. how to fix? 24" Pcut

Come on experts...?!!

on the screen, your should show at the bottom of your mat. Depending on size of design, go to top and change size of mat to make viewing simpler. (for me anyway)-cutter-mat size. I always cut with mat in vertical position-that shows on properties box- (see arrows at top or side) , and design placed at bottom right. That is where your origin point is if you haven't set a new one.

Well I'm pretty disgusted with SCAL3 now. I finally got my US creation Pcut to startup and print using origin position....here is the rub..it prints about 1/3 of project and then all of a sudden the cutter head takes off on its own cutting as it goes usually cutting through previous cuts finally resting at the far right side next to the red button and shuts down.. I've tried simple text to some sign work...same thing. I am also using SB with absolutely no problems. After buying this program per the sales pitch from US I would of thought it was a tested  software for their machines...I believe it has issues. My Pcut is about 2 yrs old and I use the usb via  keyspan connection. If anyone has the same machine setup or has a cure for this issue I would be forever grateful to try. As it stands I can only use it for tracing (works great) then sending the esp file to SB..kinda sucks because I love the features it offers. Please help..

Dave

Did you register the SCAL program after installing it? I have heard that it will cut a line through the design until it is. My SCAL program works fine, but I am using an MH 871.

• Like 1

I've used it on 3 different cutters and although I'm not a fan of the program it did cut fine on all 3 machines. Laserpoint 1, Laserpoint 2 and Vinyl Express QE 60+

I've been using SCAL 3 for quite awhile and recently upgraded to SCAL PRO and love it just as much. not sure whats going on with yours though

Well I am pretty sure I did register it when I got it, but I just did it again to be sure. I might add this quote from the software maker..

"Registration is voluntary and we will never share your information with third parties without your consent.
You do not need to register if you are evaluating the software and do not yet have a Serial Number. Registering is not necessary to make our software work."

I believe it would be a pretty dumb Idea for the software to cut through a job and mess it up until you register..especially since you just paid for it and have a serial number! I am still bummed about it..just can't waste vinyl testing it if you know what I mean. Thanks for relies and have a great new year.

Dave

Register was the wrong word to use. I think activate is more appropriate. Look at the top menus under help and see if it stills says activate. If it does that is your problem but if it says deactivate then you have already activated and that shouldn't be your problem

Gonna try using just USB connection instead of keyspan that was needed to get SB to work. Soon as I get the nerve to try one of the projects it already messed up I'll report back. B)

Register was the wrong word to use. I think activate is more appropriate. 

That's correct. I should have said activate.  

Hope you get it working soon.  I still use SB sometimes for node editing, but I like the way SCALP cuts on my machine. 

I know a few recently have said that the current update was giving them all kinds of trouble and they reverted to the version they were using before and it fixed it. Hopefully one of them can chime in and tell what version they went back to.

I had the same problem.  

The only solution that worked for me was to use Flexistarter to cut with.   

My version of SCALP is 3.052

3.052 caused issues for me it would not finish jobs correctly. They sent me a link to 3.051 and I have had no issues since.

Update...same old problem....just gonna use for tracing.. :angry:

They'd have better luck marketing the trace feature as a stand alone program and sidelining the rest of it.

• Like 1

I'm surprised I see no mention of the proper way to deactivate the software. You MUST have an internet connection to properly deactivate the software. If I read correctly the license is for one machine. Once deactivated, then you can uninstall and start over. Somewhere online detects the activation code.

SCALP's site has support where one can recover their activation code in case of catastrophic computer failure. It seems it compiles both name and product code when it generates the key file. I actually downloaded a trail version of SCALP3 which states it will cut a line thru the vinyl until one activates the software. I activated the downloaded software with the codes provided on the software sleeve. This method of activation and deactivation is probably to deter piracy.

From UScutter sales web page,  Can be used on 2 computers.

One of the most unique benefits of Sure Cuts A Lot Pro is that, with the purchase of this software, you will receive one license that can be used simultaneously on TWO computers! And best of all, your license is good FOREVER! No renewal fees or expiration dates!

Assuming you are new to SCAL like myself. This is what I discovered today and to be honest, I didn't read about it in the manual that came with my MH-365.

SCAL refers to the grid screen as the mat. The top command line shows CUTTER > Mat size or Mat Location. The mat size can be portrait or landscape. The width of the media is important because you have to stay within the mats margins or it will trim off some as what happened to me.

What I discovered was the direction arrow either at the left or the top of the Mat screen. This shows direction of vinyl or media travel. I had several miscuts and couldn't figure out why. Then I saw that arrow and it dawned on my how to position my objects on the mat. Once I understood that, I set my origin point and cut a piece only 8" wide but cut letters all the way across. I can't believe I kept overlooking that. I cutout a sign for my grandson to take to the Grand Ole Opry to see the Fresh Beat Band in just a few minutes. I also cut a piece for my ATV restoration. Sometimes all is not lost. It could be something overlooked that causes is miscut. As in my case.-kid

post-84570-0-36387300-1390543616_thumb.j

post-84570-0-38457800-1390543617_thumb.j

post-84570-0-32868400-1390543618_thumb.j

post-84570-0-43204400-1390543783_thumb.j