busterbay

Sandblast Mask

Out of curiosity I picked up a roll of USCutter Brand Sandblast Mask 18 mil. I have a SC cutter what blade & settings do you use to cut this stuff ?

Extend your blade out a little bit, use a 60 degree blade, slowest setting, max pressure. I got a roll earlier this year to cut a few mask for a guy, that stuff won't even stick to itself.

• Like 1

I use it exclusively for re-usable stencils. When the sticky wears out,

shoot the back with a little 3m 77.

It will take about all the pressure the plotter has to score it through.

Great for a reusable airbrush or spray paint mask.

I use it exclusively for re-usable stencils. When the sticky wears out,

shoot the back with a little 3m 77.

It will take about all the pressure the plotter has to score it through.

Great for a reusable airbrush or spray paint mask.

That was my plan for it, how small can you get the detail ?

My tests have shown I need to crank the pressure up to cut it. I hope I remember to turn it back down when I cut vinyl. :huh:

Note: used to take prisoners to mow and do leaves in cemetaries - those caretakers/staff can be touchie so if you go to one don't refer to them as tombstones (yeh I did once) . . . if it is a single piece it is a marker, it it is multiple it is a monument.   just more totally useless info to keep you politically correct if working in a cemetary.
One guy was experimenting with repairing vandal damage where kids had broke off the old single limestone markers - he tried modern adhesives, epoxies and 10 years later the one that held up the best was home brewed animal glue.  he said it stuck the shop up to high heaven (his words) but was the only one still holding after that long - drilling and pegging with rod and epoxy weakended the stones.  same kind of glue used in glass chipping I always wanted to try.  background on this is glue chipped with animal glue jk.jpg

• Like 1

Buys I just use scrap 631. The stuff works perfect and if I need it to stick really tight I just use some scrap 651.

I use aluminum oxide and don't have a problem unless I use really coarse blasting media like an 80 grit. most of my work I do with 180 and 220 grit.

That was my plan for it, how small can you get the detail ?

My tests have shown I need to crank the pressure up to cut it. I hope I remember to turn it back down when I cut vinyl. :huh:

True, the heavier material won't be as forgiving as 3 mil vinyl but I imagine

the amount of detail will depend more on your cutter more than the material.

As far as turning the pressure back down, the next cut you make afterwards that cuts right through the backing

of some 651 will help teach you to remember. (Ask me how I know.)

When Im etching with sand blaster I just use 631 anymore. 651 always left adhesive behind to clean up and 631 didnt. It holds up just as well and hasnt caused me any issues yet doing glass or metal.

You really got away with 631 to for sandblasting?  You didn't get lift ?    Maybe I had to much air pressure.  It's getting cold out and I'm ready to start blasting again.  

No lift at all even at small scale when etching on dog tags. I learned from another member on here to lower the pressure as well. Night and day different. First I was at 80psi I believe and barely got etched into glass before vinyl was deteriorating. Dropped it to 40 and was able to spend a lot more time on it and get a much deeper etch.

Note: used to take prisoners to mow and do leaves in cemetaries - those caretakers/staff can be touchie so if you go to one don't refer to them as tombstones (yeh I did once) . . . if it is a single piece it is a marker, it it is multiple it is a monument.   just more totally useless info to keep you politically correct if working in a cemetary.

One guy was experimenting with repairing vandal damage where kids had broke off the old single limestone markers - he tried modern adhesives, epoxies and 10 years later the one that held up the best was home brewed animal glue.  he said it stuck the shop up to high heaven (his words) but was the only one still holding after that long - drilling and pegging with rod and epoxy weakended the stones.  same kind of glue used in glass chipping I always wanted to try.  background on this is glue chipped with animal glue jk.jpg

i was just waching some youtube videos on that the other day (i often spend way too much time wandering around the darker corners of youtube) and it looked really interesting. i didnt see anything as intricate as that one pictured though. didnt know you could get that fine of a detail to it. 

• Like 1

i was just waching some youtube videos on that the other day (i often spend way too much time wandering around the darker corners of youtube) and it looked really interesting. i didnt see anything as intricate as that one pictured though. didnt know you could get that fine of a detail to it. 

they masked that one with vinyl then sandblasted the chipped part before appying the glue - I love the effect