arty-rc

Vista or XP

I acquired a desktop computer that I'm thinking of making it into a dedicated unit for my vinyl work. I plan to have it running on a wireless network system also. I'm using SBE, Inkspace and may install Corel x3. My question is, will I be better off getting XP for it or keep Vista on it? I'm not sure of the age of this unit but I installed a 500GB sata hard drive(Vista) that I had(the hard drive was missing). There is no parallel port. IT has two dvd drives, and no "A" drive, 2GB RAM.Thanks. Should say Vista or XP.

stay with XP,updates or no..... if it is strictly a dedicated cutting computer I can't see any reason to be online at all.

All the updates ever did for me was make my computer slower. I say XP and if you're gonna have it online just make sure you are running a good antivirus program and no matter what you do if you see windows 8 run and run fast.

Thanks all. I was thinking the same way. Now to figure out how to change the computer to XP. I Googled it and I'm not sure my computer skills are up to attempting the change. I'll do more researching before I try it.

Get a copy of XP...boot from it....it will ask you if you want to erase and format before you install...do it.

Get a copy of XP...boot from it....it will ask you if you want to erase and format before you install...do it.
 BannerJohn, It sounds too easy compared to what I found on Google. Will the existing drivers (DVD, DVD_RW, Modem etc.)automatically install?

Some will...some won't. The computer manufacturer website should have all the drivers you need. Dell is particularly good about this. When I do a dell...I have a folder with all the drvers on a thumb drive. Takes about 10 minutes to install video,sound,and internet drivers

stay with XP,updates or no..... if it is strictly a dedicated cutting computer I can't see any reason to be online at all.

That is true my copy was a gold CD but if it goes online and updates it says you have a pirated copy and puts up a splash screen everytime you log in. Just shut updates off if you go online.

• Like 1

I don't know how much a legit XP license would cost . I have 1 off of an old computer , so keep a lookout for an old comnputer with the XP info on it .

If I understand correctly when they stop support for Xp they are gonna stop licensing as well. Wonder where that's gonna leave all of us when we need to reboot old computers.

If I understand correctly when they stop support for Xp they are gonna stop licensing as well. Wonder where that's gonna leave all of us when we need to reboot old computers.

Wouldn't the  cd that you have for your computer work for that?  As if wiping clean and starting over...  I have done that before.

I have the cds for mine.  And I keep my computers all the same,   Toshiba  Satellite with XP

Update. I found an older XP disc with the install code and booted it up as BannerJohn suggested. I was able to do a system format and the vista is completely gone. Having one heck of a time trying to install sp-1. Computer won't let me install any hardware until I do. Going to download it to a flash drive from my laptop and then try to run it . What a PITA.

I wanted to downgrade my laptop from 8 to 7 but after reading up on it I think I'll pay someone to do it when I get ready. Xp is a lot easier.

If you use your computer for only designing and cutting then don't hook it up to the INTERNET and you will never get a VIRUS.

Bob

• Like 1