Sign in to follow this  
bradsc1954

Pricing Question

Morning All,

I am just starting out and have a hard time wrapping my head around pricing. I have downloaded the pricing calculator and still trying to figure it out.

But I have this job I am working on. It is white calendered vinyl measure 7 inches wide by 1.5 inches tall. What is a fair price to charge. I have attached a rendering. I can say weeding is taking a fair amount of time due the size.

Thanks Brad

post-36980-0-31590300-1369729299_thumb.j

1.00 per inch on the longest side
same here.

jfaught & Jaybird, would it matter what the font, or color vinyl is (not including specialty vinyl) is? Just straight up, a buck an inch?

And Bradsc1954, where did you find a  pricing calculator?

I only have 3 vinyls I charge more for reflective, fluorescent, and carbon fiber. I don't price based on weeding unless its a complete nightmare. Some are easy and some harder so it evens out over time.

• Like 1

1.00 per inch unless it's really hard or specialty material. i try and keep it simple

A one-off, 7 inch, calendered vinyl decal, with design services and app tape applied, ready to install?

$ 20 flat rate and I'll give you an extra, free one, to boot.

Gonna take every bit of half an hour, start to finish.

I say $20 they say goodbye and go to the next guy for $7 - $10.

... and I didn't loose a dime. (unlike the fella that did it for beer money)

But when they want something bigger or for example shirts who do you think they come back to? Wish more around here would tell them $20 so I get the work. Before you think badly of my business practices remember this is my living and so far it has treated me well.

• Like 2

Oh, I feel ya, Jay... There are plenty of folks out there that will do it for practically nothing. I say, Let 'em have it.

They are working for less than minimum wage and racing toward bankruptcy.

Hey, I have cuts in the profit margin, too. But I have stayed in business for 27 years on the principle of not sacrificing quality, and that has costs above the minimums but pays back to the consumer in real value. My client understands and wants the value of service I try to offer.

The others are gonna price shop no matter what I tell them... generally, they don't understand value.

"Be the change you want to see".

• Like 1

By the way, If I want a half inch square decal, you guys gonna make it for me for fifty cents?

Minimum charge $2 plus ship. Make them for you all day long. I did 500 1 X3 decals for a car dealer for a quarter each because I couldn't stand the print guy who quoted that same price. Did it all in scraps in my spare time so I made straight profit and created goodwill with the car lot who in turn ordered 50 shirts from me at regular pricing.

Only been in vinyl 5 years now but it paid for my house and I'm currently talking to my landlord about possibly buying the building I'm in so I can't complain. Like they say charge what you can get.

• Like 1

I would be about 8 bucks a piece on them. If they ordered 10 or more I would drop to 7.50 each.

I understand both sides here, I don't bend over and lose money for anyone (except my wife) but I can't see turning away business where I would make $5 so I can go back to making more internet advertisements hoping for business. In my downtime I solicit for work and try to make an internet presence but it is all in hope of someone buying something.  

Thanks for the input guys. It is really appreciated. I also enjoy seeing the discussion on various pricing point of views.

These decals are for a friends business. I didn't design the logo, just converted it to vector and cutting it. I have been doing other jobs for him. But now that I am moving into vinyl he is giving me a shot with this. I am willing to take a little less for the job, because I know I will get business from his word of mouth. Plus I know this will help get me established.

Brad 

We all use slightly different business plans. That's why it's so interesting to see everybodys input on pricing questions

No clue, It was just sent to me. I know the logo hasn't changed in over ten years. I think the speed and custom part goes back his logo before that. Sorry

Brad

Minimum charge $2 plus ship. Make them for you all day long. I did 500 1 X3 decals for a car dealer for a quarter each because I couldn't stand the print guy who quoted that same price. Did it all in scraps in my spare time so I made straight profit and created goodwill with the car lot who in turn ordered 50 shirts from me at regular pricing.

Car lot decals should be at least $.65 ea. at 500 count! & it was not " straight Profit" Unless your time is worth $0.00, Your blades are free...

You can not compare printed car lot decals to cut!

You can when you want to close the deal and keep it away from someone else. Decals first, shirts next and he has sent a few businesses my way w/o ever mentioning what I did that for. He knew why i was doing it and he has worked it out on other things since then. That's the problem with price calculators, they don't factor in all the issues at hand. And yeah scrap vinyl when the store is slow and I had to be there anyway so I figure straight profit.

We call my son "Jaybird"! LOL, Anyways..... If You're Happi, Happi, Happi that is all that matters! :rolleyes: