Sign in to follow this  
Dakotagrafx

Morels

off to a slow start - 5 days ago got 2 - today got skunked . . . but people are finding them in numbers - this is frusterating

I had thought about going to chain of lakes park in indiana but I think you have cured that thought - appreciate the feedback Skeeter

I didn't go this weekend,  but a friend found 78 in his back yard here in town..  I go to Salamonie....

I didn't go this weekend,  but a friend found 78 in his back yard here.  I go to Salamonie....

ohhh that slimeball - I walked my fat a$$ off today and nothing.  over at 101 Mosh had over 1/2 a large cooler and said he stopped because he got tireed of picking them . . .  . made me want to drive to Neb.     Hopefully in a week or two they pick up around here - I want to take my dad up north in my 5th wheel and go like we did when I was a kid - just better accomodations!

I know my ex brother in law, used to go to Michigan years back, and come back with many coolers,of Morels They would have to go buy more coolers.   I have never gone up there. 

I am hopeing for dad's sake we do good - I learned a few years ago that if you cook them 1/2 way in butter then freeze - they taste just like fresh when you thaw and finish frying.  one year I did good and tried all the preserving tricks and that was the clear winner.  just freezing turns to mush, drying doesn't retain the same flavor, etc.

Lots of people finding them around here, but they're cracking down on people selling them without getting them certified as actual Morel mushrooms first, and of course that just adds to the already outrageous prices that people are asking - they're good, but they're not $30 per pound good...

Hadda chuckle when Decal asked WTH ....!!!!!

Cuz when I first spotted the post I thought Hmmmmm  I know this... why...!!!!

Then it struck me.....  cuz I have a midwest friend who talks about em non-stop

But I am not aware if they grow in Northern Calif.....

We have never hunted for mushrooms ever.....

LOL, it must be a yankee thing... Here in Texas if your goin searching for something that grows... its gonna be peyote...  

wife changed the campling plans this weekend so may have to go tomorrow out shroomin if it isn't freezing out!

Scott found this shot online while looking up some info on Morels

Bob

post-6565-0-74684100-1369443218_thumb.jp

yeh I seen that one on the fb page Bob - wanted to track them down and beat them silly with a vinyl roll - in our area we are dry then cold = then warm and dry - then cold - nebraska I read had a bumpe crop.  I feel pretty beaten at this point.  was going to take my dad (75) up north this weekend and he had to do something else at the last min.  since I worked at the prison we haven't been able to do much and was hoping to start to spend more time with him - just the first obsticle will try again

wife changed the campling plans this weekend so may have to go tomorrow out shroomin if it isn't freezing out!

My friend from Marshall,, Mich.. found 600 somewhere...

My friend from Marshall found 600 somewhere...

No Sh&^      That is right by me - did they go near home?

Well Scott at least in your area you have a chance of finding them, if I want any I have to go to the market for them.

No Sh&^      That is right by me - did they go near home?

I didn't ask,    I only talk with him on Messenger once in a while. messing with him about going .   He already did..  Guess he didn't wait on me.  LOL   I have only been to Marshall once.

dang - I think this year I must just be cursed

I never found anything either.   My son didn't either.