MadHatterGraphix

SCALP worth buying?

I have had my MH series cutter for about a yr and a half but haven't used it much. Mainly due to the part I don't like sign blazer much. So got a sihouette cameo and trimmed down the vinyl to fit and went to town with cutting single color decals and t shirts. However I have been getting questions about making bigger and longer decals for windows etc. But I Decline, do to the limitations of the sihouette and sign blazer and I don't like each other. So I come to you my fellow vinyl cutting experts and ask is SCALP the way to go? What I have seen and learned from USCutters training videos on here I like it but want some real feedback from you and maybe some of your work? Thank you to everyone in advance.

I got mine for $50 when they had the special offer. I am happy with it especially at that price. I also use Sign Cut Pro but am in the process of phazing that out if I can get used to SCALP. So far there are still a few issues but the design team is litterally working around the clock to bring SCLAP up to snuff and it is getting better with each update. I can tell you that once you get away from the sihlouette and get used to the MH you will wonder what the #%^&@ you just spent the last year trying to produce anything with that thing. For vinyl the MH should smoke the little sihlouette. The only thing I see that the craft cutters do better/different is being able to cut cardstock and paper with the cutting mat but I just went out and bought a Sihlouette cutting mat from walmart and I have cut several craft projects for my wife on it already on my big cutter. I have the creation P-Cut which is a little different from the MH but I think they are similar. Both budget models.

The only thing that SCALP really is in dire need of as far as I am concerned is getting the ability to tile a project that is bigger than your vinyl. They told me they will probably have that going by mid year. There are a few other things that would be nice to fine tune and I think they will dial in on. The rest is pretty functional really. I design with another program and just import for cutting purposes but I have played around with the design part enough to say it seems to work ok. The good thing is you can import files from other sources like inkscape and .ai so your not limited to what the design portion of the program can do anyway.

There is a trial you can download & try . If you don't like SignBlazer , I doupt you will like SCALPro . You might want to up the anti & spend more for a better grade of Flexi . SCALPro is far ahead of Flexi Starter IMO . I like SignBlazer & SCALPro  . I think SCALPro's price is justified in just the weeding options . USCutter sells it for $99 shipped on e-bay .

I have tried SCAL3 and so far liked it, but I know you cant cut anything without getting the trial water mark. And as far as I can tell the only difference is SCALP is the length of the projects you can cut. Am I wrong about that or are there better features on SCALP?

Scalp 3 has been upgraded numerous times, and still being worked on, all the time..

You have to purchase it, and activate it, to get all the upgrades

Cheaper to buy it on their Ebay site

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sure-Cuts-A-Lot-Pro-Vinyl-Cutter-Cutting-Design-Cut-Software-Signs-Graphics-/281010396813?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item416d865e8d

Question please...I own Sure Cuts A Lot 2, bought it when I purchased a Cricut.  What is the difference between Sure Cuts Alot 2 and SCAL3?  Thank you for your time...

Try the trial version first! After its 30 day timeout, you may be familiar enough with it to make a decision. For me personnaly, it's a 'no'. I have to be able to design on at least four computers and with fully with eps files. Scalp doesn't do it for me... Read through the forums about comments and problems, try the trial version and se if it works for you. If you only use one computer and its stable, and scalp does what you ned, then maybe it would be good for you...

Bear , did thee not know SCALPro can be activated on 2 computers with 1 license . VERY e-z to deactivate & activate .... even for us USC Super Hogs :)

edit; BTW , you can " manually " activate it on computers that don't have internet access . Seems you could activate it on all your computers that way . I assume the 2 computer only thingy is to not allow sharing , not to limit the actual purchaser ?? Seems if you are using it only on your conputers , the intent as I assume , would not be violated .

Question please...I own Sure Cuts A Lot 2, bought it when I purchased a Cricut.  What is the difference between Sure Cuts Alot 2 and SCAL3?  Thank you for your time...

Updated interface - improved features more cutters supported - the basic SCAL3 is a free upgrade for you if you own SCAL2

Is is supposed to install and leave your SCAL2 in place so you could have both versions - but you should research that to be sure if you still use the cricut machine.

http://www.craftedge.com/purchase/craftedge/purchase_scalupgrade3.php

The Pro version adds larger size mats and support for most USCutter machines - not sure if the SCAL3 supports all the same machines or not.

Bear , did thee not know SCALPro can be activated on 2 computers with 1 license . VERY e-z to deactivate & activate .... even for us USC Super Hogs :)

edit; BTW , you can " manually " activate it on computers that don't have internet access . Seems you could activate it on all your computers that way . I assume the 2 computer only thingy is to not allow sharing , not to limit the actual purchaser ?? Seems if you are using it only on your conputers , the intent as I assume , would not be violated .

Yes, I knew that, but it doesn't help me. Which two computers do I choose? Of course the cutting computer would have to be activated, but then which of the other 3 gets validated??

By the way, how would one de-activate if the computer is no longer operable? One of the many reasons I detest this childish and selfish form of copy protection. No real regard for the actuial users...

I really doubt that any company so paranooid to use such "copy protection" would not tie validation to a hardware key which would prevent validating it on the other computers. Worth a try though when I get around to it. I haven't had the time to do much cutting recently and with all the ptoblems of eps files and such, I also haven't had the inclination to dig further into scalp. If I get a round tuit, I'll let you know how things go. For now SB works fine... :bear:

Bear , contact Edge Craft via phone or e-mail & they will deactivate the dead computer & that will let you have activated 2 computers that are online .. Hmm Bear . i wonder how many people use 4 computers :) . If there not a limit , there would be almost many people with free SCALPro as there is with SignBlazer Elements . SignBlazer was only supposed to be a 1 or 2 computer license & the trial was supposed to last 30 days . We will never know if Jerry ( owner of SignBlazer , may he RIP ) intended it to stop at 30 days or was generous & knew it would stay working . I use SignBlazer for somethings & SCALPro for some things . If the evolved SignBlazer software ever becomes available , I'll get that also & have another great tool to work with . Each software has some advantages/preferences the others don't . I have InkScape still loaded , but have not used it in a long time . I would ask the Edge Craft people about your 4 computer situation & see what they have to say .

Rodger... Yes, I could plead my case with craftedge or simply decide on two computers to use or whatever. There's always a way. I just haven't had the time between winter & chores and work, etc. Too much to get done.

The simplest solution in a perfect world would have been to buy two copies for the $49 back when. But why would I do that when it was untested software and had no eps support? And that would double the cost of the software. Thinking ahead to when it has to be upgraded also. I have no doubt that when they finally do get all the bugs out it will wind up being a version 4 at a cost... And really, there's much more expensive software out there that does NOT have the activation problems that scalp has...

The best solution is to simply take the time limit off the trial version. Why is it there in the first place? What a stupid decision! Sure, maybe for a bisiness that has the free time to completely evaluate a new piece of software, one month is good enough. But for people with busy lives it doesn't come close. I have installed time-limit trials before that have timed out before I even had the chance to run them. Whoever made that decision made a big mistake. All they would have to do is "cut" a logo or "craftedge" through any design with the trial version. Forget the stupid time limit. That's all I need; to be able to re-load a design and touch it up on one of my other computers, then send it back to the cutting computer to cut. That's how I work now with Corel and SB.

When I get the free time to work with scalp, and actually activate it (haven't even done that yet), then I'll decide whether or not it's worthwhile to keep trying to use it and that depends entirely on whether or not they have truly fixed the eps problems. Maybe by then they'll re-think their time limited trial version. I doubt that too. But what the heck. It's still a hobby to me and there's always alternatives... >:D:lol::bear:

It seems to me I read that all SCALPro updates will be free , including version 4 - whatever . I understand what you are saying Bear but it is hard to accomadate everybody & it might not only be Craft Edge's decision . SCALPro is a joint venture with USC & exclusive to USC is what was said . It is not listed on Edge Craft's website last time I looked . So USC might have had something to do with that . That is the great thing bout being in business .. each business owner can decide how they want to do things . I would think that me buying 1 copy & giving the activation code to everybody I know might be a concern for the owners .. that would effect the decision if the decision was mine to make .. how about you ?? Doggles mioght be the best way , but expense is a key concern , especially for a " packaged " software . Hey buddy , when you feel like trying the manual activation or calling Craft Edge instead of griping , let me & everybody know the outcome :):lol:  :angel:  :bear: