motoxchic

33 Banners to make, need help pricing.

16 banners @ 45" x 15'

17 banners @ 33" x 8'

• 3 color vinyl
  • Mostly text and some graphics..basic layout
  • Pre grometed 18oz Greenstar banners, total cost $1400 (need best quality material..other suggestions?)
  • Vinyl (great quality per customer request)...guessing Oracal 751, maybe 951?

Just need a ballpark on banners with vinyl (not including design time).  Also wanting to make sure the banner & vinyl material I am using is quality.  These are used for trade shows every weekend (indoor and out) and need to be able to take a slight beating. 

THANK YOU!

651 should be fine for banners but you are talking about an increadable amount of work/time involved for cut vinyl I would print them and I could print them for you.

• Like 1

I would be at about $3600.00 unless some of it is complex . That is a lot of work but if they are the same design it would go fairly fast .

Dan

The design is the same and pretty basic.  Its for a long time design client/former employer, so he is really flexible on timeframe and I could use the money even if it took me some extra unbillable hours.  

So, Oracal 651 would be lasting enough?  What about the banner material.  I was pricing the 18oz pre grommeted, is there something more cost effective?  I am considering getting the rolls, but the weight is not very heavy and I was not sure about the stitching.  I would want all 4 sides stitched and folded.

ETA:  Considering upgrading to a Graphtec ce5000-60...would this help make this job any better? 

absolutely, the Graphtec will help, precise cutting,  smooth cutting, ez weeding.. I would never work on a value cutter again..., If mine broke down, I would be ordering another new Graphtec in a heartbeat.  I bought mine new in 2008, NEVER a problem..

When I set my son up in business, last spring I didn't even mess with a value cutter, I got him right in the Graphtec CE5000-60. 

• Like 1

We usually do trade show stuff on 13oz unless the customer requests otherwise. 

I think that the 651 will be fine for that job, just make sure the customer knows not to store the banners in a place that the temp gets extreme for a long period of time. Vinyl will expand and contract in extreme temps and if rolled up  could cause issues. 

I think going with a pre grommeted banner would make things easier on you but of course buying a roll will be less expensive. 

absolutely, the Graphtec will help, precise cutting,  smooth cutting, ez weeding.. I would never work on a value cutter again..., If mine broke down, I would be ordering another new Graphtec in a heartbeat.  I bought mine new in 2008, NEVER a problem..

When I set my son up in business, last spring I didn't even mess with a value cutter, I got him right in the Graphtec CE5000-60. 

Great, thank you for the info.  I started with the SC to see how things went, but I am getting busier and we have a construction business as well and constantly are needing signage, etc.  Lots of business coming my way via truck doors, banners, etc.  So I think my time to upgrade is before this job for sure :thumbsup:

We usually do trade show stuff on 13oz unless the customer requests otherwise. 

I think that the 651 will be fine for that job, just make sure the customer knows not to store the banners in a place that the temp gets extreme for a long period of time. Vinyl will expand and contract in extreme temps and if rolled up  could cause issues. 

I think going with a pre grommeted banner would make things easier on you but of course buying a roll will be less expensive. 

Ok, I will check with the customer.  He is usually the "get me the best" client, lol.  The extreme temps will be there.  They travel 1/2 way across the US and the signs are stored in heavy pvc tubes.  They are in trailers and stored in trucks for periods of time as well..winter/summer.  Do you think 751 would be a better way to go?  I dont think he would mind spending the difference, but I want to make sure its worth the upgrade.

hit me up if you want the printed i can do it for you. if he temps are really extreme the vinyl WILL fail for sure.

hit me up if you want the printed i can do it for you. if he temps are really extreme the vinyl WILL fail for sure.

Will do.  I should clarify by saying they currently have about 10 or so banners that are about 10 years old.  They held up great, but are getting pretty shabby and need new info on them.  Wish I could go off of when they last had them done, but I doubt that info is available.

I probably need to clarify my earlier post the $3600.00 was the labor and vinyl plus the banner material . I was quoting with 651 that is what I use on banners and one side . I belive 751 would be more than adequate as an upgrade . And you would want to add the difference for 751 I have at least one banner that has been up for 6 or 7 years intermediate vinyl on 13 oz banner material .

Ok, after much calculation, I am ready to quote my customer.  Just wanted to run the finals by you to see if I am figuring correctly.

Total job material cost:

$1456          751 Oracal, 2200 sq ft

$1435          (26) 18 oz, 2 sided, blockout banners (US Banner Co)

$  325          Main Tape GXP775

Size: 45" x 15' 

Qty:  12 banners, 24 sides

6 colors, some layered graphics

5 hours per 2 sided banner cut/weed/tape/install??

$350 ea

33" x 8'    14 banners, 28 sides

6 colors, some layered graphics

4 hours per 2 sided banner cut/weed/tape/install??

$210 each

Design time I will bill separately.  I am not totally sure on the time per banner for labor, but does the price per banner sound fair?

Lol probably not. I dont really know. Ive never priced banners so you might be right on the money. I just had a little sticker shock. 

I can't speak on the 18 oz. or cast vinyl but we get $6.50 sqf. for 13 oz. with calendered, either 651 or Avery depending on color needs. Be 13 oz. I won't 2 side and try to upsell to 2 banners that can be hung back to back. That way they have the option of also putting them in 2 separate locations if necessary. Multiple colors within reason are included depending on design. We've had banners that have been put up and taken down 3 times a week at a local flea market for 4 years and are still going strong.

Thanks,

Jay 

Thanks Jay.  I gave them the option of 2 banners, but the blockout 2 sided is just a little more than the 13oz banners. so it actually saves a lot on banner material, because I would still be doing 54 banners, lol.  I also asked if they wanted to double side only some, but they want it all.

What is a little confusing is the double sided pricing, then the sq ft price should totally change, right?

Lol probably not. I dont really know. Ive never priced banners so you might be right on the money. I just had a little sticker shock. 

yeah, its a lot of work

What I charge on 2 sided is usually plus charge of 75%. A 3x5 banner is $97.50 1 sided plus 75% for the second side or $170.63 total. I figure it's just as much work and material to do the second side only difference is I don't have to use another banner.

We do give discounts to schools, church's, booster clubs and civic groups i.e. boy scouts and girl scouts. A 3 X 5 1 sided for them is $60. 

Thanks,

Jay

What is the rating for printed stuff ? Oracal 651 is 7 years outdoor life from memory . I have read laminating printed stuff is vital for lifespan .. make sure you include that is you go the printed way . When you price things , try to determine if the customer is an e-bay shopper ... check prices there if you want to see what competition does ( cut & printed vinyl ) !!!

What is the rating for printed stuff ? Oracal 651 is 7 years outdoor life from memory . I have read laminating printed stuff is vital for lifespan .. make sure you include that is you go the printed way . When you price things , try to determine if the customer is an e-bay shopper ... check prices there if you want to see what competition does ( cut & printed vinyl ) !!!

Good suggestion.  This job seems kind of unique, hard to compare materials, etc.  I see some banners on there for $1.25 per sq ft...how quality can that be?  My customer is a long time friend and client who trusts me to give him great quality and a reasonable price.  Hoping to fit into that category with this job. 

Thanks again for everyones help and input