jenn

EPS file black on SB screen

if anyone can help me, it would be much appreciated.......i'm having problems importing eps files into signblazer....when i go to import it, the file is black on the screen (see attached) and when I click on both "use full postscript..." and "use postscipt scanner" nothing appears on my screen. Does anyone know what i'm doing wrong?

post-2662-0-17310400-1306121450_thumb.jp

I do not know much about SignBlazer, so this may not apply...Is your eps file actually a vector?......Was it saved in a current program that might be too new for SignBlazer?...

• Like 1

i imported the image originally into Inkscape, and followed the steps there...but still nothing.

Jenn,

Could you post one of the files you're having trouble with? This way someone can see if it will open in their SB program.

Rod

I looked at the fairy file......It is vector, however, you would have to do a ton of work to make it cut-table.....There are 12 different colours.....

• Like 1

Jenn, have you tried to save the file as an Eps file In Inkscape? The file is a vector, but I don't think SB will open a SVG file.

Rod

If you would post the BMP file, maybe it can be convertedwith fewer colors.

Rod

these were jpegs i found and took into inkscape...did the tracing, etc. saved as all different types of files and they all appear black in my SB screen...and when i open it, there is nothing there..............

I was able to take the file into Great Cut....So the file is useable....Maybe you need to save it as an older version of something....

• Like 1

i imported the image originally into Inkscape, and followed the steps there...but still nothing.

I use another cutting program which allows cutting from inkscape and pasting into the workspace. Just tried the same thing in SBE and is works there too.

In InkScape just select the image you want to bring into SBE and click ctrl-c to copy. Then open the SBE screen and click ctrl-v to paste - you fairy image is large so zoom out to see it.

Also there is a large bounding box - maybe an alpha layer that might be interfering with the display when you export to .eps and then import. Break the graphic and drag away or delete this box.

The fairy image is too low resolution to be useable - but you could lock that image and make the design using the polyline tool and editing the nodes to make a nice path to cut with. Depending on the details you want to add it might not be too much work - and it's fun once you learn to do it.

Look at this topic for a nice video to get you started -- there are several others on the forum this is the first one I found and I liked it.

-Mike

I was able to take the file into Great Cut....So the file is useable....Maybe you need to save it as an older version of something....

?

what is great cut

Sorry for my dumb post.....GreatCut is the software I use for my Expert 24.....The point of my post, is that the file is useable....So it seems to be a version problem in getting it from Inkscape to SignBlazer....The post above explains another way to do it....

• Like 1

I use another cutting program which allows cutting from inkscape and pasting into the workspace. Just tried the same thing in SBE and is works there too.

In InkScape just select the image you want to bring into SBE and click ctrl-c to copy. Then open the SBE screen and click ctrl-v to paste - you fairy image is large so zoom out to see it.

Also there is a large bounding box - maybe an alpha layer that might be interfering with the display when you export to .eps and then import. Break the graphic and drag away or delete this box.

The fairy image is too low resolution to be useable - but you could lock that image and make the design using the polyline tool and editing the nodes to make a nice path to cut with. Depending on the details you want to add it might not be too much work - and it's fun once you learn to do it.

Look at this topic for a nice video to get you started -- there are several others on the forum this is the first one I found and I liked it.

-Mike

thanks...i'll give that a try after i finish pulling my hair out....

The file you are trying to cut would be ambitious for someone who has been doing this for quite a while.....So good luck.....

PS...Hair grows back for most of us....

• Like 1

my SB didnt even recognize either file???

its an inkscape file. afaik, only inkscape will open an svg file.

Jenn, post one of the EPS files you're trying to import. SB will not work with SVG files, but inkscape will export eps file after you vectorize someting.

Seeing your screen shot, I would hate to say that I might recommend re-installing SB. There's no reason I know of why it wouldn't import an eps file. Okay, it has to be an older version eps, but almost all of the ones available on this forum are in the old formet. So, I would say upload one of your non-working EPS files so we can verify that the file is okay. If it is, then maybe re-install... I have no other ideas... Really, I don't. It's late and my brain stopped working about an hour ago :P

Jenn, The file you posted has a bitmap file imbedded in it. The file at the bottom Princesstest.eps, is your file. The file Princesstest 002.eps is the same file with the bitmap removed.

image.jpg

Princesstest 002.eps file open in SBE.

image.jpg

Once you’ve convertedthe image to a vector format you have to remove the original image before you save to an EPS file.

Rod

princesstest 002.eps

Rod is right. Even after his conversion, this file has at least a dozen different layers. This is not what one might consider as a cutable graphic...

try one of these

teh image was layer upon layer of greyscale. i seperated teh layers and kept the 2 most complete ones. your choice. and in both sb and eps formats

i think what you need to do, in addition to deleting the jpeg after you trace it, is to be careful of the selection you pick as far as the number of colors to trace.

princesstest3.EPS

princesstest3.SBD

thank you very much.....so now the big question......could you give me the step by step how to do that........or direct me where I can get a tutorial so I don't keep bugging all of you???

I have Inkscape...so would I import the image into there...then I select Path, then trace bitmap, save the file as an eps?

sooooo sorry...........

http://support.uscutter.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/25/0/vectorising-in-inkscape

Vectorising in Inkscape

Posted by Levi Hartzog on 16 January 2009 02:31 PM

This walk through explains the basics of vectorising in Inkscape.

Step 1) Import your image. Click File>Import, find your file and click OK.

Step 2) Select the image, go to the top of the screen, click Path>Trace Bitmap.

Step 3) The Trace Bitmap menu will then open. Here you can select how you want your image vectorised and adjust the settings. You can also generate a preview. Once you are happy with the preview click OK and close the Trace Bitmap screen.

Step 4) Now you will have your new vector image and the old raster (bitmap, jpeg, gif etc) image stacked on top of each other. Seperate the two and delete the raster.

Step 5) Play around with your new vector image!