mikepags

Here's a couple things I did with my high school kids

As some of you may know, I'm a high school graphics teacher in the Philadelphia area. This year, I received a grant for a 24" LaserPoint Cutter and a good amount of vinyl/tools. One of the first projects I did with the kids was a sign for the front classroom doors. We had a 3-color crown followed by 2-color text. The kids absolutely loved it and even asked if they could start a vinyl sign-making club.

This semester we're going to get into sandblasting. I ordered a couple cases of aluminum bottles from Dollar Tree and I already had a blast cabinet from Harbor Freight with a 20-gallon Craftsman compressor. So far, the prototypes are coming out great. I'm using glass beads in the blast cabinet @ 90 psi with GreenStar vinyl (and occasionally some masking tape) as a mask. The glass beads are enough to take off the anodized coating from the bottles, but won't remove the vinyl or masking tape unless you really try.

post-12724-0-87604200-1299092802_thumb.j

post-12724-0-84866500-1299092835_thumb.j

Wow! I wish I had a class like that, ya got room for a 43 year old! Very nice.

very nice!

those look very nice

i do quite a bit of etching with sand blasting. I use silica free sand blasting sand and blast at about 40psi. You can do all sorts of things. Glass (i do a lot of drinking glasses and mirrors), granite, any polished surface, use your imagination

Great work. The only thing is you should have made a SF Giants one. just kidding Im from California. Great work. I look forward to see future post from you on the progress of your class.

Mario

You should get a screen printing setup. You could make all of the shirts for the school and even other area schools. I know for our school it would save a ton of money if not be a big profit maker.

You should get a screen printing setup. You could make all of the shirts for the school and even other area schools. I know for our school it would save a ton of money if not be a big profit maker.

Yeah, I teach screen printing as well. I use Ulano Blue-Poly films, which are water based and then oil-based inks. Screen printing is a royal pain to teach though, just because it's so messy. The kids enjoy it and really get into making their own shirts. It teaches a good lesson in precision too.