gcextreme

Etched Mirror Vs Etched Vinyl

One of these mirrors is actually sandblasted..the other is just etch vinyl...which i am really like...alot less work, same effect.

1469747_10153433826216700_51684740890557

75550_10153433826166700_1558360886765853

The bottom one the vinyl?

Negative, the top one, with the black/silver frame is the vinyl..the bottom gold frame is the sandblasted one.

damn near 99% the same effect, 100x easier to do, no wasted material either.

The sandblasted one, i reversed weeded it and used as a stencil, so the vinyl all eventually went into the garbage.

Will probably keep doing this etched vinyl for mirrors from now on, and only do sandblast stuff for glass mugs etc.

There's a valuable lesson to be learned here ----  I never thought about 'etching' mirrors, until this thread.

I've got several different designs that would go great on these $1 mirrors.

Thank you.

now blast from the back, gold leaf and paint for your next project
different effect than just blasting

post-2742-0-44847200-1458606366_thumb.jp

• Like 2

There's a valuable lesson to be learned here ----  I never thought about 'etching' mirrors, until this thread.

I've got several different designs that would go great on these $1 mirrors.

Thank you.

No..dont thank me...before u know it you will be hooked and blowing lots of money on it lol.

Yeah i get these mirrors at the dollar store..bought about 40 total..lol. just sold one on ebay for $27..

now blast from the back, gold leaf and paint for your next project

different effect than just blasting

Ive been told to blast from the back before...but all the mirrors ive gotten are impossible to do that without tearing it apart and regluing and fixing it.

Ive been told to blast from the back before...but all the mirrors ive gotten are impossible to do that without tearing it apart and regluing and fixing it.

cheap mirrors are like that - thicker ones and ones from the glass shop won't have the other layers.  thinking we are looking at different markets here

I will keep my eyes open for ones like that..but these cheaper ones are well..more affordable lol..and i can still make some $$ of them.

Normally resell them anywhere from $25-30.

Blast from the front, then glue-chip it, for another look. The list goes on, and ...

looked into that too - cool idea - animal based glue.  do you leave a masked boarder around the part before applying the glue when doing that?

also back when schlaam was on here that did all the fancy stuff I looked at mirroring materials to do some custom bottles etc

Blast from the front, then glue-chip it, for another look. The list goes on, and ...

What is this? Details please..pics of examples..?

let me google that for you, HAHAHAHA  sorry that was funny as hell.

let me google that for you, HAHAHAHA  sorry that was funny as hell.

i get tired and cranky - but i get over it the next night after some sleep . .  . sorry glen

I leave the mask on the glass, just wash it down a little after you blast, then put the glue right on where you just blasted. You don't have to blast it first, but it gives the glue something to grab on to. It does better in real warm environment, like out in the sun on a warm day.

CAUTION***** The glue chips will jump off, best to have it in some kind of container, preferably with a clear top. I use a big seed starter thingy. You can hear the chips hitting the cover. They'll hit your eyes too, just won't make any sound, but you will.

• Like 1

Glen while the look is similar the perceived value is different - not everyone can etch - but Nancy with her cricut can order etch vinyl off ebay and think she didn't get as good of a deal.  

the work looks good though - I say use what works in your market . . . that keeps people coming back 

Glen while the look is similar the perceived value is different - not everyone can etch - but Nancy with her cricut can order etch vinyl off ebay and think she didn't get as good of a deal.  

the work looks good though - I say use what works in your market . . . that keeps people coming back 

not everyone can cut vinyl either...lol.

Most people are gonna hang these in their house...and will never know the difference. 

This mirror was too big and nice to stick into my cabinet and blast it tho

• Like 1

not everyone can cut vinyl either...lol.

Most people are gonna hang these in their house...and will never know the difference. 

This mirror was too big and nice to stick into my cabinet and blast it tho

LOL agreed - there is a group on facebook that I think applies HTV with the bottom of a hot tea kettle - ask them they can do anything and it's the right way  :lol:

I'd never heard of glue chipping glass until I read this thread. I found a neat tutorial on the technique here.