Macon Innovations

Printable Vinyl

A customer asked me today about making some custom decals.....They want them full color of course....I've seen some printable vinyl that you can use with a ink jet printer....My question is, Is it decent material or is it garbage? It will be 2 different designs....1 will be exposed to alot of sunlight and the other will not....And pretty small in size maybe 1" × 3"

I have use the Papilo (spelling?) stuff but it's not going to like UV rays. Possibly  protect it with a cold laminate 

That's the one all my digging is turning up.....I've been seeing alot of people spraying it with a type of flexible top coat UV protectant and getting decent results....

I use a 3 mil cold laminate over my printed signs & decals

to protect from sun, weather & fingers.

It's called Lamex UV.

It has good UV protection.  

I get it  from Fellers.

Downside for you is it comes on a 3'  x 150' roll....

a bit more than what you need.

Sue2

Only by about 147' lol

For the small size you need,

I can stick some scrap pieces in an envelope and you can try it.

Sue2

Nope

This makes me wonder. Does the 651 colors even last the full 5 years outside in direct sun and heat? I know the glitter vinyl says 3 - 5 years but only lasts a few months

This makes me wonder. Does the 651 colors even last the full 5 years outside in direct sun and heat? I know the glitter vinyl says 3 - 5 years but only lasts a few months

Well  I know that General Formulations does, and it is house brand, for a lot of companies. so a little bit less than Oracal..    I did my brothers  DOT numbers and info,  on his truck 6 years ago, and they still look like new..   3mil calendered.    Silver and cranberry ... And his truck sits out in the weather,  He drives all over the U.S. pulling 5th wheel campers.   That truck has a million miles on it.

I've had 651 on things for a long time. I would say black, white, and most colors easily last the 5 year rating outdoors.

I've noticed that my lavender roll does not last as long though. On my friends metallic blue car the decal got sunburned within 2 years.

What laminate are you using?

where it will fail is the coating to accept aqueous ink will come loose taking the laminate with it - seen it firsthand

• Like 1

where it will fail is the coating to accept aqueous ink will come loose taking the laminate with it - seen it firsthand

whats the basic lifespan?

You still have that weak link of the coating that allows it to accept water based ink as it won't bite into the vinyl like solvent. That is the reason that solvent, latex and thermo resin stay for printing on vinyl - longevity

You still have that weak link of the coating that allows it to accept water based ink as it won't bite into the vinyl like solvent. That is the reason that solvent, latex and thermo resin stay for printing on vinyl - longevity

I had an ALPS printer that thing was great for a small thermal printer, of course it was a desktop printer. Unfortunately they cartridges got to expensive and had to sell it. Well I will try printing this anyway and see what happens. I already did the water test on a none laminated versions and no issues there so I have to worry about the separation issues and maybe it was just bad coating who knows but I take your advice very seriously.

Hatter, I don't know if this will work for you or not...

http://tinyurl.com/p4x228x

I have an HP 5500 aqueous printer an make outdoor

yard signs frequently....for UV protection I laminate them

with clear UV laminate.  It works for me without coming

apart & separating.

Sue2

Hatter, I don't know if this will work for you or not...

http://tinyurl.com/p4x228x

I have an HP 5500 aqueous printer an make outdoor

yard signs frequently....for UV protection I laminate them

with clear UV laminate.  It works for me without coming

apart & separating.

Sue2

Thanks for the tip. I'm still debating on this Papilio Waterproof contouring vinyl for inkjet printers. I just bought 5 sheets to test I it is waterproof, and does contour nicely still Dakota has be thinking naw and you gave me some hope.

That sign was printed on adhesive vinyl, stuck on a

coroplast sheet then laminated with the UV clear laminate.

It worked with that combination without peeling.

If you want to try a few sheets (or rookie scraps) of the Lamex...

just let me know.

Sue2

That sign was printed on adhesive vinyl, stuck on a

coroplast sheet then laminated with the UV clear laminate.

It worked with that combination without peeling.

If you want to try a few sheets (or rookie scraps) of the Lamex...

just let me know.

Sue2

That impressive more on the 75% bandwagon. Well I will say greatly appreciated offering rookie scraps Sue2 how would I go about this ?