JonnnScott

Glass etching

These are my first two glasses I have ever done. Vinyl was cut with 34"sc and then used some armour etch from local crafts store. It was kinda fun,

post-88606-0-59089600-1417494211_thumb.j

post-88606-0-57827200-1417494212_thumb.j

post-88606-0-46610300-1417494213_thumb.j

post-88606-0-96723700-1417494213_thumb.j

• Like 6

Very nice with that armour etch. stuff works good . it is just a little pricey to me.. 

• Like 1

Nice work!  Now you might find that this can be worse than fishing - you know, teach a man to fish and then he needs a boat, then a motor, then rods, reels, etc?

Now you need a blast cabinet, then an air compressor, then a/c line filter, etc., etc!!!

Cal;

• Like 2

It works better than I thought it would. But it was pricey I paid almost 25 dollars for the 10oz bottle. And before I get into the blast cabinet and all that good stuff I want to get a heat press to do some shirts. My garage is already jam packed with all my normal tools, spray guns, compressors and wrap materials and tools.

Looks good, I have never tried the etching cream because of the cost. If you have a cabinet you can recycle your grit and be a lot cheaper. If you get a cabinet get the biggest one you can because you will find with the small one you out grow the small bench top one fast.  I started with the small table top then had to get the big one. Then I built a pass thru cabinet. The last piece I did was 24" x 36" x 3/8".

Some have home built starter cabinets out of all kinds of affordable ideas. You will truly love the product that you can turn out with a blaster. You can pick up a siphon tube style gun for cheap and build a home made cabinet and be blasting for a lot less than you think. Way better than the creme. I bought the table top blast cabinet from HF and have enjoyed it but you don't have to get all that committed to start with. 

I am actually going to harbor freight on Friday to see what I can get into. Might grab an air eraser while im poking around for small stuff.

Very nice, I just got into glass etching. Using 120grit AO in a blast cabinet though, I too thought the cream was too expensive.

Air eraser will get you started but you will end up filling it up all the time! Pain in the rear! I am looking at the larger cabinet from Harbor Freight. 

Butch

Air eraser will get you started but you will end up filling it up all the time! Pain in the rear! I am looking at the larger cabinet from Harbor Freight. 

Butch

Is there anything with a bigger hopper than is smaller in size. I already have a jam packed garage and basement. So no room for a huge blast cabinet and my wallet wont like it either.

Pasche makes one that has a pressure pot it runs right at $100 , Just google Pasche air eraser.

Butch

The best thing about a cabinet is it keeps the mess down and you can recycle your abrasive media.

Butch

If you buy the HF blast cabinet, buy new weather stripping and replace all of it. Also have caulk ready and caulk the entire thing. I caulked a bunch of the seams and still had some major leaking. So I disassembled top from base and put in new weather stripping and caulked even more and now leaking is minimal.

I also replaced the cheap light with some water proof led SMD lights off amazon. Replaced the window bolts and nuts with 8-32 rivet nuts making installation and removal 100x's faster, disregarded the cheap plastic glass covers and put a piece of clear vinyl over the glass instead.

I've been looking at this one from Global Industrial. It's about the same size as the large Harbor freight one, maybe a little bigger, and is a single piece of rotationally molded plastic, so the only place for leaks is at the door.

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/tools/abrasives/sandblasting-tumblers/cyclone-e500-large-benchtop-blast-system

Very nice with that armour etch. stuff works good . it is just a little pricey to me.. 

Michael's and/or Hobby Lobby run 40% coupons in the Sunday paper on a regular basis, or you can download their respective apps to your smart phone and get your weekly coupons that way.  That's the only sensible way to buy expensive items like that in those stores...

I've been looking at this one from Global Industrial. It's about the same size as the large Harbor freight one, maybe a little bigger, and is a single piece of rotationally molded plastic, so the only place for leaks is at the door.

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/tools/abrasives/sandblasting-tumblers/cyclone-e500-large-benchtop-blast-system

Cool. 

This is the one I was talking about.

10409453_10205551185282180_6515052269479

If you buy the HF blast cabinet, buy new weather stripping and replace all of it. Also have caulk ready and caulk the entire thing. I caulked a bunch of the seams and still had some major leaking. So I disassembled top from base and put in new weather stripping and caulked even more and now leaking is minimal.

I also replaced the cheap light with some water proof led SMD lights off amazon. Replaced the window bolts and nuts with 8-32 rivet nuts making installation and removal 100x's faster, disregarded the cheap plastic glass covers and put a piece of clear vinyl over the glass instead.

Yeah I know about the leaking issue. Nice tip on the rivet nuts! I was going to caulk with real good caulking I use on paint booths in the air chambers. Removing the glass to change the covers is a nice idea. Does the shop vac keep up with the dust?

Butch

Yeah I know about the leaking issue. Nice tip on the rivet nuts! I was going to caulk with real good caulking I use on paint booths in the air chambers. Removing the glass to change the covers is a nice idea. Does the shop vac keep up with the dust? Butch

I have no complaints with the shopvac.

Another tip to get your plexiglass to last longer is to put screen material under it.  You don't notice it when the light is on and it'll about double the life of the plexiglass. The replaceable film is worthless IMO

harley, what type of screen material are you talking about?  Do you have a spacer between that and the glass?  

I get about 2 hours of use out of the film I put over the glass and this sounds interesting.

Thanks,

Cal

I just use fiberglass screen material you can get at Lowes.  No space between the glass.  I remove the plexi, wrap the screen around it a little then put the plexi back in.  The majority of the media will bounce off the screen.  I blasted a lot of stuff when I was doing powder coating, I can't remember the last time I had to replace the plexi. I bet I have at least 20-30 hours blasting in it right now, at least.  All I do is blow it off every once in awhile will the air gun.  I think I bought a roll of screen for like $6

• Like 1

Thanks, I am going to try this out.

Cal