knucklehead

XP Up-Grade

Guess it's time for an upgrade from XP Pro, to newer version. Since the cutter, and printer works fine on XP, would it be better just to get a Win7 machine just for internetting, or would it be worth the money and hassle to upgrade XP to Win 7?

If I upgrade, I'll loose some stuff that I don't have a disc for? Got a 500 gig external drive to back stuff up to. All new shit, just ain't in the budget right now.

I personally wouldn't bother upgrading. Just because MS has stopped support doesn't mean you have to stop using it.

• Like 1

Be sure to check to see if your XP is 32bit or 64 Bit version. Check to see if win7 will support you printer and other devices.

Jerry

I stay back on XP for cutting,  more stable.. I also have XP back ups.    You should have a computer dedicated for your cutter.    I purchased a used 17" Toshiba WINDOWS 7  laptop  quad core. for my tv for just over $200 free ship a few months ago on Ebay.  Works great.

As long as your cutting machine isn't connected to the Internet, you can safely keep using indefinitely - if it is online, then it is time to look for an upgrade...

As long as your cutting machine isn't connected to the Internet, you can safely keep using indefinitely - if it is online, then it is time to look for an upgrade

================================================================

That's what I'm talking about. It's the security issues with XP, and the www

Unhook the web and use as cutter only machine. Buy a newer machine for the web you could also design, download etc on it and transfer via flash drive to the xp unit.

• Like 3

I think that's going to be my easiest, best bang for my buck, solution. Just wanted to run it by some, more knowledgable than me.  Thanks

You should be okay, MS will no longer support (no update) but the big problem with this will be hacker and virus. As long as you have a good anti virus or just dont hook it up to the net you should be fine.

I spoke to my brother, who's a network guru for the local ISP, and he said there is something that can be done in the Network settings to keep an XP machine on your home network, so you can transfer files and access networked shared drives, but not have access to or from the internet.  Something about removing the Gateway in the network settings and changing the sub-mask, or some technical mumbo-jumbo like that.

I'll see if I can get better instructions..   Or you can just disconnect the ethernet cable or turn off the WiFi...

Yeah, I'm just going to get a cheap WIN 7 machine to internet with. Depending on how much this damn fridgerator cost to get fixed. POS!

Just because microsoft is dropping windows xp support doesnt mean your computer will be hacked or hit by a virus or u need to upgrade.

I have independent firewalls and virus protection softwares that are from other companies who continually update their stuff.

My hardware and software firewalls still have support.

I see no need to upgrade until i get new games or other software that wont run on XP.

Hell i still have an old computer running Win98..still have it connected to the net and protected. I use it mainly for old games!!

I had another one with Win95..but the hard drive crapped out on me and i havent had time to replace it and reinstall the OS...cause dam it takes win95/98 forever to install!

Besides think of it this way. You know why macs dont really have problems with viruses? Because there are more people on pcs..so the little few that are using macs arent a big enuff target to go after.

If everyone is swtiching to newer Windows version...there will be less and less people on older versions..hackers and virus makers always upgrade their targets too. Do u think hackers are wasting time on stuff to get into win98 computers? No..there isnt enuff people out there still using it.

The same will eventually apply to winxp.

Companies and banks are all upgrading..so hackers are gonna spend time to go after them.

• Like 1

Just because microsoft is dropping windows xp support doesnt mean your computer will be hacked or hit by a virus or u need to upgrade.

I have independent firewalls and virus protection softwares that are from other companies who continually update their stuff.

My hardware and software firewalls still have support.

I see no need to upgrade until i get new games or other software that wont run on XP.

Hell i still have an old computer running Win98..still have it connected to the net and protected. I use it mainly for old games!!

I had another one with Win95..but the hard drive crapped out on me and i havent had time to replace it and reinstall the OS...cause dam it takes win95/98 forever to install!

Besides think of it this way. You know why macs dont really have problems with viruses? Because there are more people on pcs..so the little few that are using macs arent a big enuff target to go after.

If everyone is swtiching to newer Windows version...there will be less and less people on older versions..hackers and virus makers always upgrade their targets too. Do u think hackers are wasting time on stuff to get into win98 computers? No..there isnt enuff people out there still using it.

The same will eventually apply to winxp.

Companies and banks are all upgrading..so hackers are gonna spend time to go after them.

Except....

1) Do you know who is still a big user of older versions of Windows?

The elderly.  Moms and Pops who don't know any better, or are too poor to afford an upgrade, or simply not tech-savvy enough to understand why they need to.  

2) Guess who makes great target for hackers, identity thieves, etc?

I'll give you a hint - it's the same answer as question #1

My mom would still be using Win95 if I didn't force her to upgrade every few years - she doesn't like to learn anything new, and at age 74, I don't blame her for staying with something she is comfortable with.

True very true..but also consider all the old people who hate technology and refuse to do any online transactions.

My inlaws refuse to buy anything online or do any of that stuff.

Except....

1) Do you know who is still a big user of older versions of Windows?

The elderly.  Moms and Pops who don't know any better, or are too poor to afford an upgrade, or simply not tech-savvy enough to understand why they need to.  

2) Guess who makes great target for hackers, identity thieves, etc?

I'll give you a hint - it's the same answer as question #1

My mom would still be using Win95 if I didn't force her to upgrade every few years - she doesn't like to learn anything new, and at age 74, I don't blame her for staying with something she is comfortable with.

I wouldn't have the heart to throw windows 8 on any of my relatives or friends  . . . .

• Like 1

Upgrading from (Apple) Commodore 128 to Window 3.11... Man! How cool was that?

and Yes... I would go back to Windows 95 if I could. That was a Lightweight, Reliable Platform.

I'm an It Systems manager and I can tell you two things. If you don't browse the web, or check your email, or do anything on that machine on the web and you have a good firewall you will not get a virus,trojan.malware or spyware. But if you access the web for anything for very long after support stops you will eventually become a victim of something. Hackers discover holes in OS's on a daily basis and exploit them relentlessly. The updates and patches you download are what prevents you from being attacked by these easily. Once an exploit for win XP is found There is no guarantee your antivirus/antimalware/anti-s[yware will catch it either. Heck they barely catch them all on fully patched and supported OS's. The best idea right now would be to try and at least upgrade to Vista. It is still supported for a few years and has come a long way since it first was released. Licenses are cheap too. Then try compatibility mode on it. Most things will probably work.

As far as the gateway thing goes, that is a simple trick to try and prevent internet access, but not a fool proof one. It would be best to Deny outbound and inbound access to all ports (TCP&UDP) to the IP of that computer in your firewall/router. This way nothing gets in OR out. .

Just my 2C

Woody

• Like 1