Sign in to follow this  
Guest Marek

First sandblast

Nice! B) Where did you get the water bottle?

Nice! B) Where did you get the water bottle?

Second on getting those bottles reasonably priced..

Looks awesome from the pics, nice even frost, even on the thin lines and small elements of the flower, great job.

These aluminum water bottles are available at most Walmart Super Stores. I saw them yesterday in three different colors for $3.00 each.

I actually found some aluminum water bottles at the Dollar Tree yesterday, we tested and they don't leak and Oracal 651 holds really well, even in Dishwasher (which you are't suppose to do with the aluminum water bottles)

Guest Marek

I paid  $9 for it at London Drugs .. Later in the week I found 1/2 size ones for $2 at a local dollar store . For mask I just used some offshore 3 mil . I think it was Plato or Respect vinyl I picked up on Ebay .

Guest YHC

Are you just using regular sandblast sand and gun?

I did mine a few months ago and it holds up great!  All I used was an air eraser and some 220 aluminum oxide.  What your really doing with the ones already coated is blasting away the color and it don't take much.  

By the way, those look great man!  I can't believe what these things will go for.  Have you looked at them in the stores for the plain color ones and then look at how much the price jump for any of them with a design on it. B)

EtchedWaterBottle.jpg

Guest Marek

Yup I'm just using regular blasting sand and a gun .  For glass I used about 40psi but for the bottle I took it up to 85 psi .

Guest YHC

OK, I jumped on this wagon and made one to show a football team I make decals for and see if they would be interested:

post-0-12986553173792_thumb.jpg

post-0-12986553185553_thumb.jpg

Guest YHC

What do you think I should sell them for? I found them at the dollar store for $3 and took me 20 mins to process. Isn't the easiest weeding job :- There only going for about $8 on the net. Almost isn't worth it.

Guest Marek

I'd say $12-$15 - sure you can get a plain one for $3 but this isn't plain now is it . Around here it is not uncommon to see designer bottles go for $20-$30 ..I think the brand name is SIGI . So $15 for a personalized one sounds reasonable to me .. In the end it's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it .

You dont want to sand blast the anodized layer off of aluminum, leaves it open for corrosion. The anodizing keeps the aluminum protected against the elements. Also people can have allergic reactions to the bare aluminum, which is why they anodize it lol.

Guest YHC

You don't want to sand blast the anodized layer off of aluminum, leaves it open for corrosion. The anodizing keeps the aluminum protected against the elements. Also people can have allergic reactions to the bare aluminum, which is why they anodize it lol.

You think If I take some clear and spray it before I unmask that it would be good enough to reseal it?

You don't want to sand blast the anodized layer off of aluminum, leaves it open for corrosion. The anodizing keeps the aluminum protected against the elements. Also people can have allergic reactions to the bare aluminum, which is why they anodize it lol.

Yea I think that would work. They actually make some spraycans of automotive clear coat for like touchups, that stuff is super strong and not that expensive. I think that would be something to consider.

You think If I take some clear and spray it before I unmask that it would be good enough to reseal it?

Another thing to remember, while you can find things cheap on the net, you also have shipping costs to add into the final cost. So, if you are at that cost or just a bit cheaper and they can have it NOW I think you would be good to go.

Guest Schramm

Love the blasting!!!  Always great to see what others do with a sandblaster.

Those bottles are VERY NICE!!! I dont have a sandblaster but I do at the place I work. You may have just inspired me to give it a shot. :). About the whole anodization thing. Anodizing is VERY easy to do. Ive done some 6061 Aluminum (The easiest to anodize because of the amount of silicon in it, which get replaced with dye) and it came out VERY GOOD. But if people couldnt anodize, because I would choose not to do it again, just because it is time consuming, how would you protect the now bare aluminum after blasting it?

Like I mentioned before in that jacked up reply of mine, automotive clear paint works great. Its strong enough for automotive wear and tear, the heat from the sun + rain (dish washer) and can be found at any big box auto parts store.