slice&dice

Crackhead of the Day

I'm always amazed that people try to sell used cutters for more than new ones are available for.

http://easternshore.craigslist.org/bfs/5225475111.html

This fellow is asking $350 for a unit that is advertised right now on the USCutter website for $250 (including shipping).

What are these people thinking?

Oh, wait -- they're obviously NOT.

/rant

• Like 1

I saw a craigslist add selling a Signwarehouse rebranded redsail that was $300 in a whole kit for $500. I just had to laugh and feel bad for the person who didn't do their research.

there is a guy up here selling mh series cutters and cheap presses on cl for more than new - pretty sure it is a ongoing scam - he has pretty pictures of projects "he has completed" with the set up and selling out - for at least 2 years

• Like 1

I have seen people on Ebay drop shipping them also,  new cutters, for a much higher price.  And telling them their support is thru USCutter.

Dang you caught me lol naw I haven't tried to sell mine yet and it wouldn't be for that price maybe $175 with the 3 batches of extra blades and an extra holder. But that's crazy talk right there what they want.

This was a popular thing to do years ago when the internet was new. People would list stuff from their local Walmart (or any other local store) in the hope that someone on the other side of the country didn't have access to it and would need it and pay a high price for it.

It doesn't cost anything to post to cl so they have nothing to lose.

I'm personally afraid to sell my old Mh721. Partly because of how fragile they seem to be and because I may need it as a backup.

They covertly fail to include the brand name of the cutter or version of corel draw. I'm sure someone will bite even if it's only to ask brand name and software version.

They covertly fail to include the brand name of the cutter or version of corel draw. I'm sure someone will bite even if it's only to ask brand name and software version.

USCUTTER is now providing COREL Suite x6 for $149.

Plus the MH 871 for $249.

I flagged that $550 ad in LA (and I've flagged the one from the top-post, also)

You are all welcome to do the same, and help the Craigslist community from having to even see such nonsense.

• Like 1

People come to me quite often to order car lights (I used to retail custom lights) after they find what they want on ebay or wherever and pay me 25% markup to order them for them. They either don't have a credit/debit card or they are scared of getting their info hacked. I tell them up front what I charge so at least I'm not trying to scam them but I do orders like this all the time.

• Like 1

USCUTTER is now providing COREL Suite x6 for $149.

Plus the MH 871 for $249.

I flagged that $550 ad in LA (and I've flagged the one from the top-post, also)

You are all welcome to do the same, and help the Craigslist community from having to even see such nonsense.

You're flagging an ad because the person is asking too much?

• Like 1

I wasn't gonna say it but my thoughts exactly.

The nonsense I cant stand is taking peoples money and running. We had a guy hand us a print off from CL on a picture of a $30k Jeep Wrangler listed for $7500,he asked us what ya think about that?:huh: Were like its fake!! handed it back, He says NO ITS NOT its being shipped I payed for it already! We said well your screwed and lost your money, he storms out and comes back 3 hours later about to cry....  Lost all of his money!!

• Like 1

Down here they're more likely to rob you and/or kill you. they're a rough bunch in this area

The nonsense I cant stand is taking peoples money and running. We had a guy hand us a print off from CL on a picture of a $30k Jeep Wrangler listed for $7500,he asked us what ya think about that? :huh: Were like its fake!! handed it back, He says NO ITS NOT its being shipped I payed for it already! We said well your screwed and lost your money, he storms out and comes back 3 hours later about to cry....  Lost all of his money!!

From Craigslist's own page on "how to avoid fraud/scams"

Deal locally, face-to-face —follow this one rule and avoid 99% of scam attempts.

• Do not extend payment to anyone you have not met in person.
  • Beware offers involving shipping - deal with locals you can meet in person.
  • Never wire funds (e.g. Western Union) - anyone who asks you to is a scammer.
  • Don't accept cashier/certified checks or money orders - banks cash fakes, then hold you responsible.
  • Transactions are between users only, no third party provides a "guarantee".
  • Never give out financial info (bank account, social security, paypal account, etc).
  • Do not rent or purchase sight-unseen—that amazing "deal" may not exist.
  • Refuse background/credit checks until you have met landlord/employer in person.

The first three bullet points (which I highlighted in red) will keep you safe from a vast majority of fraud - if someone insists on sending you money, then insist it be in USPS Postal Money Orders - you can take those to your local post office and they will tell you within seconds if they're good or not, and if they are then they will cash them for you - no need to wait on a bank to let you know 14-30 days later that they were bad.

We sold a very expensive clock from my dad's estate (I forget the specific brand, a Jaeger le Coultre (sp?) maybe?) It's one of those "air clocks" that runs on minor air temperature variations and will run for years without needing to be touched.   We sold it for $1000 in USPS postal money orders sent in advance - I told the local postmaster that we were expecting them and he made sure to keep $1000 cash on hand for when they arrived, then he typed the M.O. numbers into his PC and it said "Ding. Valid. Pay the man $1000 cash" and we walked out with cash in hand and no worries that we were being scammed.

• Like 2

From Craigslist's own page on "Flagging" ---

"CL users (can) flag postings they find inappropriate..."

I absolutely consider the advertising of items at prices that are vastly inflated (basically, trying to rip-off someone) to be "inappropriate" and making the effort to have the ad taken down is my way of contributing to the craigslist community.

It takes several flags (not just mine) to accomplish the removal of a rip-off artist's advertisement. This type of predatory pricing is "misleading" and as such, is prohibited by the craigslist TOU.

Actually, the better question to be asking here is not why I chose to flag, but rather, why wouldn't you (or anyone who realizes the extent this person is attempting to perpetrate a rip-off) go ahead and flag and try to get rid of it?

From Craigslist's own page on "Flagging" ---

"CL users (can) flag postings they find inappropriate..."

I absolutely consider the advertising of items at prices that are vastly inflated (basically, trying to rip-off someone) to be "inappropriate" and making the effort to have the ad taken down is my way of contributing to the craigslist community.

It takes several flags (not just mine) to accomplish the removal of a rip-off artist's advertisement. This type of predatory pricing is "misleading" and as such, is prohibited by the craigslist TOU.

Actually, the better question to be asking here is not why I chose to flag, but rather, why wouldn't you (or anyone who realizes the extent this person is attempting to perpetrate a rip-off) go ahead and flag and try to get rid of it?

You better go flag Walmart.   Them guys are inflating their prices like CRAZY.   

Flag every single business you deal with.   Every single one of them jokers are buying things cheap and turning around and selling them for a profit.   

I heard a plumber marked up the exact same facet repair kit you can buy at lowes 200% over the price of lowes.  

It's worth whatever the customer is willing to pay.  

• Like 1

yeah but you hate to see someone taken advantage of - like the car dealers selling a popular model for way over sticker (charger and challenger hellcats come to mind)

• Like 1

Supply and demand. I believe it is called free market or something like that. if the buyers stop so do the sellers

• Like 1

Supply and demand. I believe it is called free market or something like that. if the buyers stop so do the sellers

Yes, but craigslist is unique in that they've offered a way for the community to register their disapproval of people who are acting in a way that is not appropriate, in the opinion of the community.

Like dakota correctly noted -- "...but you hate to see someone taken advantage of."

Millions of posts get flagged OFF their site monthly.

That happens to be the way their system is designed, and there's certainly nothing wrong with me noticing something drastically askew and making the attempt to get it off the site. If anything, it's my responsibility to do so, as a member of the CL community.

For instance, if I see people advertising guns, I should flag it.

Prostitution, same thing,

Sales of animals, ditto.

You wanna see all the reasons why people get flagged off?

Just peruse the FlagHelp Forum ---  it is quite an education.

https://forums.craigslist.org/?forumID=3

"Thanks for helping keep craigslist safe and useful for everyone."

Yes, but craigslist is unique in that they've offered a way for the community to register their disapproval of people who are acting in a way that is not appropriate, in the opinion of the community.

Like dakota correctly noted -- "...but you hate to see someone taken advantage of."

Millions of posts get flagged OFF their site monthly.

That happens to be the way their system is designed, and there's certainly nothing wrong with me noticing something drastically askew and making the attempt to get it off the site. If anything, it's my responsibility to do so, as a member of the CL community.

For instance, if I see people advertising guns, I should flag it.

Prostitution, same thing,

Sales of animals, ditto.

You wanna see all the reasons why people get flagged off?

Just peruse the FlagHelp Forum ---  it is quite an education.

https://forums.craigslist.org/?forumID=3

"Thanks for helping keep craigslist safe and useful for everyone."

All of your examples are against the rules YES.

But buying something and selling it for a higher price isn't against the rules.

I can't find the policy that supports your view

• Like 1

when I was a dish network dealer (4th in the Chicago district) we had a local company selling a system i sold for $300 installed for $2500-3000 by phone solicitation.  they sold it financed thru a third party so there was no recourse thru dish for those that bought as the debt was owned by another company altogether.   that kind of taking advantage irks me to no end as most of the people they hit were elderly or didn't have great internet skills to be properly informed.