Hello! I purchased our Titan 2 this past summer and am still very much a newbie to the world of vinyl. My first and most pressing question is about avoiding snags with the Titan 2 and Sure Cuts A Lot 4. It is only on one of my designs, but on this particular design, the vinyl just loves to snag! Very frustrating. So far I've played with adjusting the offset and overcoat, with minor improvements. Anyone have suggestions? Thank you in advance for your help in relieving my stress!

Laura

Hello and Welcome to the forum.

I don't have any experience with the titan 2 or SCAL 4 but I'm sure someone will  come along with some suggestions.

Welcome to the forums.

What kind of vinyl is it snagging on? Is your mat size set correctly? For example, with heat transfer vinyl the rolls are often slightly less than advertised. 15 inch is actually 14.75, etc. This can cause the blade to go off the edge and snag.

Good morning! Thank you for the warm welcomes! I've been perusing the forum here and there and decided to join when I can no longer figure out what it going wrong.

I'm using 12" Avery SF100-235 high heat vinyl. I made my design 11.5" so that I'm well within the edges. I've experimented with placing the vinyl in different positions on the cutter, experimenting with the offset and overcut numbers, and changing blades. The crazy thing is that when I first started cutting this design, it cut perfectly!

I have taken a pic to show you a "snag" that occurs throughout the design.

Thank you in advance for imparting your wisdom! LOL

Laura

post-94901-0-78506600-1442405332_thumb.j

Usually that is caused by too much blade exposed or too much pressure.

• Like 1

It can be blade depth, pressure and/or speed. Also make sure your blade swivels freely. I lubricate my blade holder once a month and sometimes more. I clean mine with a paper towel and cotton swab and then add a single drop of 3 in 1 oil or a dab of silicone grease and wipe away the excess. Your blade holder will likely be different but I'll post a picture of mine.

post-35520-0-22024000-1442441980_thumb.j

My best guess would be blade length too. It is the most common problem. You might also try changing the design up a little. If you add a couple points and remove the very tip of those extreme angles it will sometimes allow your blade time to make the corner rather than a stop and spin action. (see pic, stoke added for clarity) You can usually achieve the same look without the sharp corner. 

That avery product being paint mask and removable adhesive might be less friendly to the extreme angles than other products too. Have never used it. 

post-20133-0-77673800-1442443967_thumb.p

• Like 2

Just to update everyone...I did clean the blade pieces and oil them...and boy did it need to be cleaned! So thank you very much for that information!

I also went into the design and rounded all the hard edges as suggested. I also adjusted the pressure lower and lowered the speed.

Between all of that, it is cutting out great! I truly appreciate all the input. :rolleyes: 

Laura