Sign in to follow this  
dleis1972

New in PA

Hello all.  For some strange reason I decided to try my hand at vinyl.  :)   I do not plan to be some huge overnight success, but would like to get a firm grasp on the do's and don'ts.  I have been in business for myself in the home A/V and security field for about 10 years.  I just want to do a few decals a month to make a few extra dollars.  I'm gearing towards auto and motorcycle decals and go from there.  I have like 2% experience on Photoshop but that was so long ago.  I have Photoshop CC 2015 and Illustrator as well, are the Lynda videos worth purchasing to learn at a faster rate or will youtube videos be good enough?

TIA for all responses.

Dave

Welcome, from the west coast. I do about the same (car decals & misc) and have gotten pretty far with just this forum and a sprinkling of YT videos. Start reading up, and do search's for words or techniques you do not understand. What equipment will you be starting on?

SC is a good choice and a nice starter pack. I was surprised how easy it was to recoup my investment.

I have a few people that know I'm starting this little venture and I have a few jobs already.  But told them it might be a month till I am ready to cut on my own, told them let me waste the vinyl that came with my pack first till I get half decent at it.  :)   Yeah my buddy has a huge shop on the other side of the state and told me that the SC was a good choice to start with.  I'm pretty sure I will be fine.  I have access to him if needed, this forum, and YT.   I am pretty computer savy, so I'm thinking I should be ok with the graphics side of it.  I guess time will tell.  LOL

IN my Opinion.

Better cutter for $20   more   and better deal.   The 31"  Laser pointer 11 Cutter (alone) is $599.    $490 with shipping. on EBAY...You get the supplies FREE   Pay $549.00

The 34" SC is $389.  (alone).  $410 on EBAY....and you bought some of those supplies for the remaining $140..    to make $529....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vinyl-Cutter-Bundle-Sign-Cutting-Plotter-w-Sure-Cuts-A-Lot-Pro-Design-

Sale-/300879724537?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item460dd43ff9

I have never needed larger than a 30" cutter.. And have cut for years.  

http://www.uscutter.com/index/page/static/subpage/buying_guides_new

• Like 1

You should be cutting ready-for-prime-time decals within a day.

I would be surprised to see any newbie go through more than a few feet of material in tests.

This ain't rocket science.

If you have people that are waiting on you to commence, then just go headlong into it.

(And before you know it, the nice folks at USCUTTER will be hearing back from you for your next orders of more app tape, more banner materials, more coroplast, more vinyl, more tools).

post-21408-0-63815500-1436489342_thumb.j

Dave,

Welcome from Idaho. 

Illustrator is a pain to learn but once you get it down the skill is yours for life. I am with Slice on this one, I seriously doubt your going to need a month. You may blow a few things up the first time or two but you can figure it out. There are a lot of facets to the craft including design, cutting, weeding, masking and install (Not to mention other lucrative sidelines like shirts) but none of them are beyond the abilities of a patient learner. Good luck and welcome to probably the funnest hobby I've ever taken on and by far the only one that has paid for itself many many times over.